It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. woman has submitted 1,862 job applications to no avail

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by SaturnFX

You skyrocket tarriffs and company's just locate their whole operation overseas...need to think things through before you speak.
Maybe you should think here. Do you understand tariffs at all?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

You skyrocket tarriffs and company's just locate their whole operation overseas...

Good...perfect...excellent...that is the goal
Then tariff them when they try to import their crap

You honestly think if a company leaves for greener pastures in cambodia, there won't be someone else that jumps in their shoes and keeps the work local?

There is more than one person whom knows how to sell a pizza...you don't need a mega corp to do it all...it will be the return of small town businesses.

And a demise of walmart inferior chinese crap.

Tariff...Tariff today!

Odd. I almost never agree with you, much less star your posts. I had to do so in this case.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

You skyrocket tarriffs and company's just locate their whole operation overseas...need to think things through before you speak.

Yes but I was trying to make a broader point than just actually the point about tarriffs. Apparantly I failed miserably

My bigger point was that giving companies incentives to keep jobs here works better than punishing them for taking jobs overseas.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yes lets all work for McDonald's - problem #ing solved!!
You absolute morons who suggest this simply do not understand that there aren't even enough crappy service-sector jobs to go round for all the unemployed. Somebody is going to lose out and get nothing.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This woman needs to use brain power.........She is not thinking right.

I am not 60 years old by any means.....But brain juice gets you along way....

I worked at a local dead end job for twelve years. .......Went back to the local college, walked through the doors and said, "I do not know what they heck I want to do."........The clerk pointed to "over there" and I finished my two year course.................I took a Union test, the representative just showed up looking for recruits. I paid my $20 and took the dang test.......They called me less than a month later.;.........

Here is the kicker.....My profession now............Is not what I went to school for........

Brain power.

Yeah, I bust my azz in the heat......But it pays well and I will get free healthcare in 60 more days.......

Go out and get it. .....Whatever it takes people....You can do it.....My standard of living has went up this past month exponentially....I went camping and had T-bone for the first time ever.....You can too......

Brain power.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yes but I was trying to make a broader point than just actually the point about tarriffs. Apparantly I failed miserably

My bigger point was that giving companies incentives to keep jobs here works better than punishing them for taking jobs overseas.
Yeah, I did not get that at all. In this particular circumstance, I would say a very big stick(punitive tariffs) is needed. Though I generally prefer the carrot, I believe corporations have recently devoured all of the carrots in the cupboard.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There is a member on ats that said they submitted 5000 resumes or something along those lines.... They should do a story on them.

In contrast, even with the bad job market, I landed my last job in one day, a few months ago. I recommend being persistent and come across to your potential employer that saying 'no' to hiring you really isn't a choice.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

Here is the kicker.....My profession now............Is not what I went to school for........
Same here. My BA is in History. I work as a diagnostician. Think of me as "House" for machines. The machines I currently work on start at 500,000 USD for a "Base model".

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The company I own is hiring. I lost eight employees who left town due to the tornado in Joplin Mo. I also lost 30% of my business but we are hiring. I was hiring before the great storm......Yes the economy is bad, real bad. But there are jobs out there if you are willing to work. Entitlements have taken over the work force. I pay well above minimum wage………but getting the free ride and staying at home is a better deal for so many……………I see it first hand everyday...........

She may have applied that many times but she has chosen not to work……….

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
...the number of applications she's submitted means nothing without actually seeing what her applications look like, how they were submitted, how they check out, what kind of jobs she's applied for, her salary requirements and how she presents herself during an interview...

...being a little older than her and single, i can appreciate her concern about how she's going to manage the future - but - that wont make me buy her story without knowing more about her...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

And if this lady doesn't lower her standards than she will continue sucking the lifeforce out of U.S. taxpayers.

yeah...right...let's throw those 50 year old leeches out onto the streets, because we need to have about 10 million of them just die off, so the rest of the U.S. taxpayers don't have to have the lifeforce sucked out of them.

i think you could run for political office!!!
edit on 9-7-2011 by jimmyx because: spelling

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You do have to wonder if she is reaping what she has sown? She worked for JP Morgan for over 2 decades. How many families did she screw out of their money(directly or indirectly)?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

You do have to wonder if she is reaping what she has sown? She worked for JP Morgan for over 2 decades. How many families did she screw out of their money(directly or indirectly)?

Karma does not exist.

So -- no she is not reaping what she has sown.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

nope...punishment means fines coming into the coffers of the US....incentives means giving taxpayer money to companies HOPING that they create jobs.

face it...companies are in a fixed game of country against country, as far as where to locate their particular jobs.
it's a race to the bottom, and it's been going on for decades
the wealthy are winning...start learning how to join them, or learn to live as a peasant...and at least as a peasant they will keep you alive so you can work every day.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Simple, the incentive for a corporation is to make profit.
They will make profit even if their tax rate is at 80%.

They will gladly destroy a entire country if they find they can hire some 12 year olds in china to do the work that a western nation employee does for pennies on the dollar.
You can give a corporation free reign over anything they want, and it won't change their mind or do the right thing and hire people local if they can make a few extra cents in the end by 3rd world slave labor.

There is no carrot that will work...they own the carrot company and simply pop em out whenever they want...they also paid off the politicians so there is no logical conversation about stick...

Its time to remove any and all politician kowtowing to corporate interests and the pretend consessions they strike in order to bring jobs home...it never happens, and the politicians are simply paid off sponsors of the facist agenda (corporate agenda).

Time to get medieval on their arses...and to the companys that continue to funnel jobs and funds overseas while absorbing the lifeblood of the nation here...the argument is that they may just pack up and leave all together if we enact some fairness laws..

I say why wait? I think we need to kick these parasites out...not wait for them to pack up and leave...tariff them to such a point that it makes it literally impossible for them to continue doing things the way they are doing...get some new upstart company to step in and get bonuses for hireing local

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Karma does not exist.

So -- no she is not reaping what she has sown.

Reaping what you sow is biblical.

Karma is new age.

Same thing really, but they come from two different sources.

The Bible does exist.

There are not enough jobs in this country for everyone.

Much of society has been taught since they were children to work for someone else. Many of those people are now handicapped in a way and are so due to those who raised them. Many will never be able to adapt.

There's a lot of people who stand in judgment over them. It's like throwing someone who's never cooked in his/her life into the kitchen and demanding that they prepare dinner. They stand there telling them how lazy they are for not doing it instead of mentoring them and showing them how to do it. The person just stands there in confusion, maybe throwing some odd stuff in a pot while the judger is standing at the door screaming at the lazy, good for nothing for not doing it right.

It's easy for someone who is trying to accomplish something to eventually give up when all sides are either judging or rejecting them the whole time.

The judgers like to assume and accuse someone of something that they have no evidence to substantiate. They have no proof whatsoever that she was even offered employment anywhere. There is no proof that she hasn't applied to a minimum wage job. There is no proof at all.

A lot of employers now don't want you coming to them. They want you to apply online. A lot of companies do not have regular applications anymore.

A lot of people's thinking is trapped into a box. Until they are led out of the box, they will still be trapped there. They don't even realize that they're in a box.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
She should just create her own job, doing something she likes.

I have thousands of dollars of repair work needed in my ranshackle house that I should be doing. Some plumbing needs replacing, a shower has lost it's tiles.

The list goes on and on. Of course I can't speak for the lady. Anyway there's "Red River" coming on, need to tape for breaktime. Also need to hustle down to the liquor store, running low.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint She should just create her own job, doing something she likes.

THIS!!! Unless she is a complete schlub at her age she has a wealth of knolwledge and talent that should be shared.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
Unless she is a complete schlub
Perhaps we have found our answer?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01I went camping and had T-bone for the first time ever.....

Willingly? What if you are a vegan - it might have been some sort of hell week thing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join