It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pfizer’s quit smoking drug raises heart risks by 72 percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I used the search function and couldn't find much on this.
If its already here then just delete it. Or move it as needed.

I stumbled across this article while cruising the internet, What better way to kill a population than to get them to smoke, then increase the risk of them dying by trying to quit. Seems kind of redundant.

Pfizer's quit smoking drug raises heart risks by 72%

British and American scientists analyzed 14 clinical trials of Champix, sold as Chantix in the United States and known generically as varenicline, and found the likelihood of developing serious heart problems resulting in hospitalization, disability or death was almost 72 percent higher in patients taking the drug compared with those taking a placebo.

So its proven to increase the risk of heart problems by 72%, and yet they are allowed to sell this drug to the general population? There are healthier ways to quit smoking it just takes dedication, and a strong will. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I disagree with having this drug out there when there is a more natural approach to it, See below for instance

The herb lobelia (Lobelia inflata) has been promoted to help people fight the effects of nicotine withdrawal and is found in many anti-smoking products. The active ingredient in lobelia, lobeline, is thought to have similar actions on the body as nicotine.

In 1993, however, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) temporarily prohibited the sale of certain lobelia products marketed to help people quit smoking. According to the report, the reason was because evidence showed they were not effective.

Link

People have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for hundreds of years (if not thousands, never know right?
) And lobelia when prepared properly can aid in quitting the addiction.

I guess people are just too 'busy' to want to quit smoking the good old fashioned way (cold turkey), and look for an easy way out of it. And could cost them their lives.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Chantix also caused several people to go psychotic and kill people.

So, tape your pick folks, cancer, heart attack or death by lethal injection.

Well, there is always the old fashioned way. Cold Turkey. That's hard though. D:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Chantix also caused several people to go psychotic and kill people.

So, tape your pick folks, cancer, heart attack or death by lethal injection.

Well, there is always the old fashioned way. Cold Turkey. That's hard though. D:

Cold turkey may be hard, the hardest thing a smoker can do. But it is much better than all of these Quit Smoking aids out there which just make the withdrawl symptoms last much longer than just putting them down and not touching them again.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
And before they have time to film a recall commercial, its posted on ats..
beeeeeutiful
edit on 9-7-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I dont usually use prescription medication as i think its all a load of crap. But i did make an exception with champix and now i find out this!. I had some pretty wild nightmares from using it though.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Indigo2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My doctor tried to get me on this stuff, guess I made the right decision.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Chantix is also known to increase suicidal thoughts, depression, and aggressive behavior, among a host of other things. I honestly couldn't recommend for anybody to take this drug.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
smokers r fake stoners, they wish they smoked weed, but they to addicted to a harmful drug known as tobacco that will destroy them in the end

new topics

top topics

join