It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News from the FL storm front.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I live in Tampa Bay right on the finger penninsula that jets off the west coast and we are facing a head on hit by at least a catagory 3 hurricane Charley. Sustained winds of 111+ MPH. with a projected storm surge of 17 feet. There is a level C mandatory evacuation beginning at 6pm tonight and ending at 1pm friday due to serious winds. I live in a Level D area so i dont have togo of i dont want to. My family and i are staying. I will post updates on this thread as they happen, including descriptions of the weather outside. Im also going to be taking day and night pictures of the rain and cloud forms, and also any damage to my area. I'm fully expecting to lose power and im on a PC so ill just keep a journal and update the thread when i can with the pics once i get a chance to get them developed.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
You're crazy to stay in a hurricane... Caribbean islanders have no choice but to stay in it, you do have a choice...

[edit on 12-8-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I would stay also, I wouldnt leave my house. I would board up the windows, but I would stay, atleast once.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The decision to stay was based mainly on that we are in an area that is very likely not to get flooded. We also have animals that we cannot take to shelters. My family has been in FL for many many years and seen some bad ones including Elana. We all feel that we will be just fine. If anything happens, we'll be fine. Yea were crazy, but thats just my family for you. Only thing were REALLY worried about is looters, but we have 12 guages of ways to keep them away.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by SixUnder]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm in Tampa Bay too...looks like we're supposed to get it. Guess we'll see. Personally, I'm staying too, we're not in an evac zone, and our house has been around since the 20's...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SixUnder
Only thing were REALLY worried about is looters,[edit on 12-8-2004 by SixUnder]

This the reason I wouldn't want to leave.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is my 1st major hurricane that i can remember in my life time that hit my area directly. i was an infant during elana. I cant wait to take some killer pictures.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well here in southern Georgia, we have from flood to tornadoes warnings my husband is allowed to leave work by noon.

So thinks are getting kind of hectic now.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I cant wait to take some killer pictures.

Are you going to post them? I for one would be intrested in seeing them.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Oh yea, i plan on posting them, I dont have a digital, so i gotta get them developed and scan them in. I really want some cool cloud wall pics. If i get lucky the eye wall.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
During Elena, I was body surfing in the Gulf, hehe... The cops kept trying to get us out of the water (I learned to swim before I learned to walk, hehe..), We said, "come in and get us!" They didn't.

That was a cat 2 storm, and sat out in the Gulf. This one is forecast to go right on top of us. I really don't see where they're getting that track, but they've gotten ALOT better at this lately, even moreso than just 3 years ago.

Personally, I'm taking this one seriously. We may leave tonight for Orlando, but just because my wife can work out of that office (as this one will be shut down), and we can make some extra dough (not to mention get a free hotel stay out of it, maybe hit a few local sights, etc. as it's one of our favorite getaways). Depends on my office being closed or not tomorrow...as I hate to lose money...

If we see anything action wise though, I'll have my camera ready as well...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

If i get lucky the eye wall.

Becarefull this is when the most flooding happens.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
During Elena, I was body surfing in the Gulf, hehe... The cops kept trying to get us out of the water (I learned to swim before I learned to walk, hehe..), We said, "come in and get us!" They didn't.

That was a cat 2 storm, and sat out in the Gulf. This one is forecast to go right on top of us. I really don't see where they're getting that track, but they've gotten ALOT better at this lately, even moreso than just 3 years ago.

Personally, I'm taking this one seriously. We may leave tonight for Orlando, but just because my wife can work out of that office (as this one will be shut down), and we can make some extra dough (not to mention get a free hotel stay out of it, maybe hit a few local sights, etc. as it's one of our favorite getaways). Depends on my office being closed or not tomorrow...as I hate to lose money...

If we see anything action wise though, I'll have my camera ready as well...
The jet stream and a few other prevailing winds are causing the turn.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Question: I live in Jax in a heavily wooded area....at what projected wind speed would you board up your home? I know hurricanes weaken over land, but Charlie is expected to be smack dead over us midnight on Friday.

TIA

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I am also deciding to stay with my children in my home. Just got done getting my yard ready. Watching the news to see if I should board up my windows. It will be kinda hard since my hubby is outta town till late tomarrow night, OH WELL, I live about 2 hrs from Tampa right up I-4 in Deltona ( near Daytona Bch) we are going to get slammed pretty hard too but I haven't heard anything about them closing the schools here. My children are staying home with me even if they don't unless it stalls and doesn't hit till Saturday. I wish everyone in Florida a safe weekend, keep in doors and hold your loved ones close. as far as the decision to stay in my home , when u live here like we do u really get use to these storms and u see so many come and go its like a blizzrd up North.Key West is under mandatory evacuation also!!!Your best bet is to listen to the news and do what they say. I can honestly say i haven't heard anything about Volusia County being evacuated yet.Maybe this is the big one we are overdue for.

Update on Charley: he is near the caymen islands gaining strangth.He is looking to make landfall in Florida tomarrow near tampa and ft Meyers. And they are saying he may be a cat 3 storm.His winds are 90 MPH right now.They are also saying he may have some tornatic activity with him.

You can go to www.orlandoweather.com or www.WESH.com to find out more on Charley

[edit on 12-8-2004 by DragonFly5]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
www.weather.com...

Her is a nice pic of the two. Bonnie looks like she has made land. just going to be a storm. Clyde seems to be getting bigger.

How Warm has it been in the Gulf anyone know?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
About high 70's degrees for gulf, prime weather for them to develop...

The jet stream and a few other prevailing winds are causing the turn.

Yep, know of that, but if it reaches cat 3 strength, they tend to kind of ignore such factors. That's why it all depends on how much it gets up to. From my guess, it's swinging through those two islands, still keeping the eye over water, which means little weakening by brushing over Cuba. Then, once in the Gulf, it'll build back, and then beyond. It's a matter of how much it wobbles and stays in the Gulf. If it delays even one day, then it's definitely got potential to be cat 3, maybe even weak cat 4....to become cat 5, it'd have to loop, and that seems unlikely. My pics will be digital, so assuming we still have power, and there is something pic worthy, I'll post 'em...but likely it'll be of the debris after the storm, as I'm not going out in a cat 3 hurricane to snap pictures! (I was a teen in Elena, hehe...and feeling much less mortal)....

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
There always has to be a nut in the bunch. I am pretty close to flying down tonight to help my family. I've got a brother 5 minutes from Clearwater beach, a sister in Ybor City and parents just north of the Alafia River (inland but flood prone). If I make it down there I'll be snapping pics left and right. I've got good pictures from past brushes of a tornado in 1996 (I believe, Cedar Key), transformer blowing at night on US 19, and waves from Courtney Campbell crashing over my SUV in 1999 or 2000. None digital though.

[EDIT]: We lived in Marina Pointe apartments off of Hillsborough avenue at the top of the bay for several years. Last near miss we had (1999 or 2000) our canal rose 10 feet. Those of you who are close to water and are staying, don't underestimate the storm surge coupled with high winds and an incoming tide. Anything electronic should be moved off the first floor if you're in a level A zone.

After that is taken care of, hide from the police (who will enforce the level A evacs), make a nice crown and coke, be smart, and enjoy one of nature's most impressive displays of power.

[edit on 8/12/2004 by titian]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Here is tomorrow's tidal flow for Tampa Bay. You can combine that with the projected landfall times to determine if you're looking at severe or moderate flooding.

tbone.biol.sc.edu...

High tide is at 1PM at the Skyway bridge so old tampa bay is looking at roughly one hour later for high tide (I forget the delay factor).

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The bay temp has been in the high 80's, 87 today and thats primo building temp for a hurricane. Were not boarding wiondows just taping them, but thats because of some alternative protection we have on our windows. Another thing, My Dad is a member of a HAZMET team. and he's on alert as of noon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join