It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado day-care center proposal: Dolls must represent at least three different races

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
Incidentally, I believe the choice of one's gender is also part of the UN's declaration of the rights of the child, or one of those documents.

This mother, btw, is a psychologist. Some may consider her progressive, some may consider her merciful, and both of them understanding, and they certainly are all of those things. And brave, and loving.

But soon, it won't be optional. This is how all of us will be expected to respond to these situations, which, I should also add, is so common in this family's town, that there is a support group for transgender children.

I absolutely love that there are now camps for transgender children.

It is such a major step in understand humans are BORN "all shades of gray" when it comes to gender.

It is so important that it is now being recognized at pre-school age.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Only three races? What about the rest of the races??

What a bunch of racists.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
Only three races? What about the rest of the races??

What a bunch of racists.

What other races?

What do you think they're going to do? Line the dolls up in a row and point to them - saying: This is White - this is Black - this is Brown.

Its just a way of natural diversity - - so children will automatically be used to seeing differences.

Its ridiculous that adults make such big issues out of this kind of stuff.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I can see so many way this can backfire. First, the day cares remove all dolls and maybe even all toys. Second, no milk or juice just plain bottle water. And some may just say forget and close their doors. It may become hard to find a day care and the one that are open can charge anything price they want to.

**************NEWS FLASH*******************
SWAT team raids daycare. Several kids hit by tasers. Illegal milk and joice sized. Contraband dolls confiscated.
Team leader was quoted as saying "We just recursed this poor kids" as one kid in the back ground is being loaded into an ambulance.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
this promotes seporatism and racism if you ask me.

are we all the same? or arent we?

all this tells the children is that we are not, and that there has to be a special notation in everything for each race.

how well did that fly with the bathrooms and water fountains in the 50's?

sure, you and i know the difference. but will a 4 year old?

Of course we are not all the same.... Every culture is different.... We are equal only our rights as humans....
edit on 10-7-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Its not ridiculous that adults care about this stupidity.

What is ridiculous is that adults who are on the tax payer dime spend their time writing standards about the ethnicity of dolls in pre schools.

What is also ridiculous is that there seems to be absolutely no manner of private enterprise that the government feels it must manage by some form of policy, standard or guideline.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by Annee

Its not ridiculous that adults care about this stupidity.

What is ridiculous is that adults who are on the tax payer dime spend their time writing standards about the ethnicity of dolls in pre schools.

What is also ridiculous is that there seems to be absolutely no manner of private enterprise that the government feels it must manage by some form of policy, standard or guideline.

Stupidity? Introducing the young to diversity in humans?

Do you have young children?

There are very good reasons preschools have to have a government license. And follow strict regulations.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I can see so many way this can backfire. First, the day cares remove all dolls and maybe even all toys. Second, no milk or juice just plain bottle water. And some may just say forget and close their doors. It may become hard to find a day care and the one that are open can charge anything price they want to.

**************NEWS FLASH*******************
SWAT team raids daycare. Several kids hit by tasers. Illegal milk and joice sized. Contraband dolls confiscated.
Team leader was quoted as saying "We just recursed this poor kids" as one kid in the back ground is being loaded into an ambulance.

Do you have children in daycare?

Do you even have children at all?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I have four young children and am quite able and consider it my responsibility to teach them about the value of people and to respect diversity. I don't need the government to help me do that nor do I want their advice, instruction nor intrusion. But then again, I don't want the government feeding my kids lunch or telling them what they can or can not eat in school, I'm also someone who wants my kids to be able to play dodgeball at recess and be able to pick teams for other games and don't expect them receive an award for simply showing up at school at some 3rd grade "graduation".

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I have four young children and am quite able and consider it my responsibility to teach them about the value of people and to respect diversity.

Well bully for you.

And I've raised two daughters - - helped raise a (now 17 year old) grandson - - and am currently raising a 3 1/2 year old because his daddy died of Leukemia.

Many children are now in pre-school - - - because their parents have to work. They are in preschool - - more hours in one day - - then they spend with their parents.

I want that time in school to count. Parents who have to work - - then come home - - clean the house - - pay the bills - - etc - - - need all the help they can get.

edit on 10-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

No. I do not. And in today's messed up world I am glad of than fact. I feel sorry for the kids of today for they will never know the freedom that people once had.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

then why the need for the new dolls?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
reply to post by Annee

No. I do not. And in today's messed up world I am glad of than fact. I feel sorry for the kids of today for they will never know the freedom that people once had.

Depends on how you look at it.

As a child of the 50s/60s - - - all kids today have far more freedom and far more opportunity to express themselves and go after what they want.

The white male dominance is still here - - but diminishing.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

My daughter just got finished with her first year of school and I could care less if she was playing with black, white, yellow, pink, purple, orange, brown, green, or red doll. Who cares? Don't we have enough to worry about these days with out involving RACE YET AGAIN? This had to start because some mom with too much time on her hands looked around the daycare and said hey where are all the other colored dolls? So does that mean you have to buy all the G.I. Joes so each race is represented? This is a waste of time. Racism will never die because we keep calling the "It's not fair" card. Garbage. We are all humans and should be looked at that way. Not all people will agree, but I feel they are just being ignorant. Kids do not care about the color. They just want to play with the toys.

What gets me is how the only time anyone says anything is when they feel they are being taken advantage of, but when it comes to benefiting them they are all for it. Double standards... You have to take the good with the bad. You can't say I want my rights and then say those rules don't apply to me.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
reply to post by Annee

My daughter just got finished with her first year of school and I could care less if she was playing with black, white, yellow, pink, purple, orange, brown, green, or red doll.

Only an adult would make this about race.

Children just see diversity as normal - - and don't think twice about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
This had to start because some mom with too much time on her hands looked around the daycare and said hey where are all the other colored dolls?

Some mom?

Why not some dad?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I have had 3 boys in daycare...one still in. One of my boys has severe food allergies, and in the 2 or 3 different facilities we have had him in, the staff were very understanding and compliant to his needs. That being said, I can understand government guidance on food and nutrition, although whole milk and juice intake seems a little low on the list, imo.
As for the dolls, good grief. When is this PC crap going to end. It's almost as if these people feel like inquisitors, who must seek out and eradicate any deviance from their own personal philosophy. TBH, most toy manufacturers are pretty hip to making multi-flavor dolls. Go down the toy aisle sometime...lots of toys contain a rainbow of little plastic people.
Finally, the dress code. I don't care myself. A 3 year old doesn't register that the provider is wearing a halter top with cleavage showing. They're 3. It's just another puritanical law to ease the minds of adults. In fact, my last daycare option was a mother/daughter team. The daughter hardly ever had her shoulders or lap covered by clothing.

All I do know about the situation is that I sure didn't mind picking up the kid!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Why not some dad?

Lol.

Anyway, leave it to Colorado to propose something as stupid as this.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Kids today have significantly less freedom than they did just a few decades ago. Gone are the days when your kid could just go out and ride across town to play and the parents only generally knew where they were going. Gone are the days when kids went to parks and picked up games with other kids. Why is that? Because deviant behavior on the part of adults has been accepted and now society is full of child predators. Where were all of the child molesters in the 60's and 70's? If that form of deviancy is natural, where were they? Where were all of the child abductions? They were not there because the slow slide to accepted deviancy was not tolerated. The deviant who was hanging around playgrounds would be beated to a pulp by parents and that would be the end of it.

All kids do today is play in adult supervised activities, most of them where all kids play, adults don't keep score and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season, regardless of the team's record or how well an individual player played - or came to practice and contributed to the team. That kind of socialized experience is expected.

The kids can't play dodge ball at school because the fat or uncoordinated kid can't get out of the way of the ball, they are not allowed to play games where they pick a captain and kids get picked according to their skills, they can't play anything that is not inclusive. The freedom to associate for kids has been destroyed by this PC trash.

Are their things like transgendred kids today? Who knows, the science on that is mixed and even to the extent that there are, who cares? Why should other kids have their freedom restricted and their environment altered to accomodate some kid who is in a massively insignificant minority? The kid is handicapped and thats unfortunate, but should the school go into some effort to explain why joey wants to wear a dress? No. If Joey's parents are going to let him wear a dress they Joey will suffer the consequences. Sorry, but life is tough.

The kid in the video above is being done a huge disservice by his parents. What will happen when he gets to be 10 and wants to wear a dress to school yet is forced to use the boy's room - or will they have to accomodate his using the girl's room? Perhaps the tax payers will create an entirely new bathroom for this kid. What happens when he does nothing to assimilate with the boys in school? Will that lack of assimilation be blamed on the other boys? Will he be exempted from activities that all boys are required to do, like in some schools participate in sports, or take gender specific physical fitness? How about sex education where during part of the term the genders are separated and then brought back together? Which class does he go to? The boys class wearing a dress or the girls class?

There are many ways to look at self expression. Should the kid be kept from bullies? Absolutely. Should the school do anything to explain his behavior? No

You see the same thing all over society today. Some kid expressing himself with bolts through his ears and visible tattoos and wonders why he can't get a job. Some person who while in a job goes out and gets piercings and then wonders why they don't get promoted or are on the top of the list when a layoff occurs. Would I hire a person who was obviously a male who showed up for an interview dressed in woman's clothing? Absolutely not. The interview would last about 5 minutes and they would be out the door. I have the right to self expression by neglecting to accomodate their form of expression - or has that freedom been eliminated in order to accomodate his form of expression?

People should always have the freedom of expression, with that freedom, like any other comes consequences and when norms are broken there typically negative results for the person. Encourage all that self expression you want, but don't expect society at large to accomodate deviance.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Kids today have significantly less freedom than they did just a few decades ago. Gone are the days when your kid could just go out and ride across town to play and the parents only generally knew where they were going. Gone are the days when kids went to parks and picked up games with other kids. Why is that? Because deviant behavior on the part of adults has been accepted and now society is full of child predators. Where were all of the child molesters in the 60's and 70's?

I am 65. I don't think you need to give me a lecture on the good old days.

Our city councilman was a pedophile - who preferred teen girls. I wasn't molested because I was only 10 at the time he was caught. Catholic priests were molesting young boys back then. Scout counselors and other positions putting men in close access to young boys - - happened in the 50s as well.

My older brothers kindergarten teacher turned out to be a drug addict.

A lot of stuff back then was swept under the rug - - kept in the closet - - etc.

I was not allowed to play sports. I was forced to wear dresses to school - - even high school.

My friends sister played trumpet. When she went to high school they refused to let her be part of the band because she was a girl.

Yeah - - so - - depends on what one considers freedom.

I'm sure gays and others who don't fit in the controlled society "box" - - prefer today to yesteryears.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join