It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel uses Facebook to blacklist, detain or deport Tel Aviv-bound travellers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Israel uses Facebook to blacklist, detain or deport Tel Aviv-bound travellers

www.thestar.com...

TEL AVIV, ISRAEL—Aided by Facebook, Israel on Friday prevented scores of pro-Palestinian activists from boarding Tel Aviv-bound flights in Europe, questioned dozens more upon arrival at its main airport and denied entry to 69, disrupting their attempts to reach the West Bank on a solidarity mission with the Palestinians.

Israel had tracked the activists on social media sites, compiled a blacklist of more than 300 names and asked airlines to keep those on the list off flights to Israel. On Friday, 310 of the activists who managed to land in Tel Aviv were detained for questioning, said Inte
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-7-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So if you ever wondered if Facebook was used for spying on citizens you now don't have to wonder any more. Seems Israel has shown you the light. And it is kind of funny that Israel themm self was put on the terrorist watch list in the US.

But it has been known for a long time now that Facebook is allowing just about anybody to crawl the pages of Facebook and see anything and everything on them even if you only allow friends to visit your Facebook page. All you have to do is look at there robot text page to find out how.

www.facebook.com...

# Notice: if you would like to crawl Facebook you can
# contact us here: www.facebook.com...
# to apply for white listing. Our general terms are available
# at www.facebook.com...

I just wonder what did Facebook co founder talk about at the Bilderberg meetings just last month?

bilderberg2011.com... and/

www.thestar.com...
edit on 9-7-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Who is a terrorist is often a subjective exercise based on your frame of reference, stated and unstated foreign policy, the need to protect your sovereignty/way of life and a need to avoid unnecessary conflict. I can't fault Israel for not wanting more trouble makers showing their butts in the Palestinian Territories. if they felt strongly enough they should go through Egypt, if they can. Why would anyone expect Israel to let them in.

Regarding Facebook, like everyone says, once it's on the internet it's always on the internet. If you don't want your words used against you, shut up. Israel always checks out everyone on flight lists so it knows who is entering the country. I imagine a recent trip to an Arab country invites scrutiny and/or outright disqualification for entry.

I don't think the IDF would care which froggy jumped and if these activist are expecting their nationalities to exempt them from retaliatory strikes they may be sadly mistaken. Their voices are very small and are lost in the day to day noises of world.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
news.stv.tv...

Four Scots arrested at Israeli airport
A group of Britons were detained in handcuffs as they arrived in Israel en route to Bethlehem in the West Bank.

A campaign spokeswoman said that the specific charges against them were still unclear.

Around 700 people from around the world had intended to visit Bethlehem on the invitation of families there. Israeli authorities say that a total of 69 people have been arrested at the Tel Aviv airport.

The English passengers were John Lynes, 83, a retired university lecturer from East Sussex; Audrey Gray, 77, a retired nurse from West Chiltington; Val Kitchen, 68, from Tonbridge; Anne Gray, 66, a retired academic from London; and Les Levidow, 61, an Open University research fellow who works in Milton Keynes.

The three Welsh passengers were Pippa Bartolotti, 57, deputy leader of the Wales Green Party; Dee Murphy, 56, founder member of Swansea Palestine Community Link; and Joyce Giblin.

Another passenger, Fiona Williams, has also been identified as British, although her exact nationality is unknown.

The list of people Israel are arresting don't seem to be the type for terrorism. So that must mean they just don't like there opinions on Facebook toward Israel.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

Ah, ATS. Where people can pound their chest and scream about freedom of speech and freedom from censorship, and rail against the police state...

Unless it's Israel, then it's okay.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
www.ajc.com...

Israel took a series of measures to try to avert the mass arrival and weed out those it considered troublemakers. Israeli authorities compiled a blacklist with more than 300 names and asked foreign airlines to block those on the list from boarding Tel Aviv-bound flights. Hundreds more landed at Tel Aviv's airport over the weekend, and more than 400 were questioned by police, said Interior Ministry spokeswoman Sabine Haddad.

Of those, 130 were detained and six sent home immediately, she said. Another four signed forms promising not to participate in violent activities and were granted entry to Israel, she said. Haddad said all those currently in detention were offered to be released if they signed the forms.

The remaining 120 are being held at two Israeli jails, Haddad said.

120 in jail, More than 300 people put on no fly-list. I wonder if the no-fly list will mark these people for the rest of there lifes as terrorist due to having posted something Israel didn't like on Facebook?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

So im pounding my chest for not liking the fact Israel has turned a post on Facebook into a terrorist act. That seems a little crazy to me.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Unless it's Israel, then it's okay.

Hmm. Is there a suppression of free speech in Israel? Isn't there demonstrations waving Palestinian flags in Tel Aviv?
People who came with declared missions to cause disruption in foreign country airport is not in the free speech department.
Consider genocidal Zionist horde supporters declaring they will protest in Turkish airport against blockade on Kurd militant bases. Clearly it would be a provocation and i have no doubts you will have something witty and cynical to say about it.
Unless it it Israel,then it is okay.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

That sounds kind of scary when you say it like that. "retaliatory strikes" For what posting something on Facebook.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
But there does seem to be a problem all around the world now and it started with Bush. And that is the idea of "preemptive" and add what ever you want to the end of that word. Here we have preemptive arrest due to a Facebook post that turned somebody into a terrorist who could basicly disappear for ever. Even the peaceful France has turned into a "preemptive" war monger.

www.nytimes.com...

“There is a new trend in the Security Council in which the responsibility to protect principle is gaining a new hold,” said Stéphane Crouzat, spokesman for the French mission to the United Nations. Invoking past conflicts in Rwanda, Darfur and Bosnia, he added: “There is a desire to intervene before war crimes or ethnic cleansing can take place.”

That sounds to me like the Bush Doctrine of preemptive war.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

That sounds kind of scary when you say it like that. "retaliatory strikes" For what posting something on Facebook.

What I mean is the IDF, more often than not, return bullets (lead or rubber) and crowd control gas when the Palestinians throw stuff at them and I don't think they check the nationalities of the members of the crowd.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Who said Israel or any other country has to give/honor free speech rights of non citizens. Why should a non citizen have any expectations at all? They are a guest and a certain amount of decorum should be expected. Stating online, if they did, that you side with and support the Palestinians and expecting Israel to overlook that is silly.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Or maybe the people who use facebook should actually understand how it works and, oh, I dont know restrict there facebook information to friends only?

Absent that, anyone can go to face book and look up a name and read their walls.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yet another reason why I don't use Facebook, or any other social networking sites. It's as clear as day what they've been about since their inceptions.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

No one says they have to. However it's a general expectation that civilized nations do not arrest you for having a critical opinion of them, even if you do visit.

I feel that Japan's continued hunting of whales is vile and reprehensible, and the nation as a whole should be ashamed that it is allowed to continue. I will not be detained for this if I were to fly to Tokyo.

A friend of mine in Ottawa owns a website dedicated to freeing Leonard Peltier and re-establishment of native Sovereignty. he gets no hassle at the border. He has also posted a few things about restoring the monarchy in Hawaii, but no goon squad claps him in irons when he vacations in Waikiki.

My mother was a very ardent supporter of the Irish republicans in the 70's and 80's. She still got to visit London for a week with no trouble. granted the internet as we know it didn't exist then, but hey.

However, as I said, no nation has to allow this. North Korea doesn't. Apartheid South Africa didn't. Saudi Arabia doesn't. Belarus doesn't. Tajikistan didn't. Pinochet's Chile didn't. Myanmar doesn't.

So no, Israel doesn't have to turn a blind eye to dissenting opinions of visitors. But it might want to consider the sort of company it's keeping in its current position; failed states one and all, each either falling or on hte brink of collapsing.

Mazeltov.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I feel that Japan's continued hunting of whales is vile and reprehensible, and the nation as a whole should be ashamed that it is allowed to continue. I will not be detained for this if I were to fly to Tokyo.

However if you will be part of organized group that states that it is going to protest in Japan airport and interrupt traffic - you will be stopped. Guaranteed.
There are thousands of pro-Palestinian activists visiting Palestine as individuals or even groups without any previous campaign and without any threats and arriving through Israeli airport. Nobody stops them.
Hope it clarifies the situation.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is very much in line with Facebook recently activating a 'Paris Safety Check' feature immediately following the Friday the 13th attacks

Wonder in what major city with it be poised to go live in next? ( so loved ones can be notified quicker whether their counterparts are alive and well (

new topics

top topics

join