It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Pollution Stunts Cognition - 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Air Pollution Stunts Cognition

Air pollution has already been implicated in a variety of human diseases, including asthma, heart disease, and stroke. Now, new data in mice suggests that the air-borne particulates we breathe in throughout our lives may also slow learning and cause depression, according to a study published Tuesday (July 5) in Molecular Psychiatry.

…human studies are needed—and soon—to really understand how air pollution is affecting people. “I think that we really need to start to understand what it is that we’re doing to ourselves.”

Humans' capacity for sheer stupidity has often astounded me. Now, we have an explanation. …It's the pollution.

Pollution doesn't just impair thinking, it also alters the brain's physical structure:

L. Fonken, et. al, Air pollution impairs cognition, provokes depressive-like behaviors and alters hippocampal cytokine expression and morphology, Molecular Psychiatry.

All we need now is proof that air pollution creates prions. …If pollution alters brain morphology, prions are the most likely mechanism.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Biologist, author, environmentalist and mother Sandra Steingraber writes about the chemicals bombarding our kids - in the air they breathe, food they eat, water they drink, and in virtually every consumer product from furniture to paint to couches, carpets and toys.

Children growing up today are bombarded by a host of chemical compounds, and we’re only beginning to understand how this is affecting their health and development. …

Current laws do not require the systematic screening of chemicals for their ability to cause brain damage or alter the pathways of brain growth, and only about 20 percent of the 3,000 chemicals produced in high volume in the United States have been tested for developmental toxicity of any kind.

Steingraber cuts to the chase:

Don’t give me any more shopping tips or lists of products to avoid. Don’t put neurotoxicants in my furniture and my food and then instruct me to keep my children from breathing or eating them. Instead, give me federal regulations that assess chemicals for their ability to alter brain development and function before they are allowed access to the marketplace. Give me a functioning developmental neurotoxicant screening program, with validated protocols. Give me chemical reform based on precautionary principles. Give me an agricultural system that doesn’t impair our children’s learning abilities or their futures. Give me an energy policy based on wind and sun.

More: Cleaning Up Our Kids’ Brains

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
People need more teatimes to stay with it, considering all the pollution out there!

Teatimes inhibits various inflammatory cytokine responses

It's the solution to half the world's problems... more teatimes!!
edit on 9-7-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

S&F

glad to finally see the thread up and running

have to agree 100%
this is part of the disempowerment of humans in general, hell it's A/B/C warfare, kill or weaken and enslave;
and should be responded to in kind IMO.
not to mention the killing of multiple birds with one stone [making a profit in the toxic waste disposal business]

i'm saving up to build one of these to deal with the atmospheric aspect and to attract Sylphs to help keep the air clean, [don't want to spell it out, cause the red phone to ring, and bring a horde of a certain type of trolls here]

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

ahh yes, tea and some nice crumpets

and there are all kinds of tea not just orange pekoe.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Yes, try to stay away from brick tea. Anything in the supermarket is likely inferior to fresh loose leaf that you can purchase online or locally from the community.

Personally, I like to switch up infusions of various loose leaf teas, like a green and white, or a green and oolong..I've even found that blending some herbal teas in with a good green or oolong to be fantastic!

Whatever you do, don't purchase lipton, or prebrewed tea. That stuff has a ton of fluoride in it, and is almost always loaded with a bunch of sugars.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
People need more teatimes to stay with it, considering all the pollution out there!

Teatimes inhibits various inflammatory cytokine responses

It's the solution to half the world's problems... more teatimes!!
edit on 9-7-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

Really?

I am not surprised, that pollution is the culprit, I can see how strange people have become, but not me I am perfectly fine,
www.scientificamerican.com...

edit on 103131p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
But chemtrails and such don't exist!

No matter how much proof is out there, there is going to be those who will deny it to the end.

Thank you for sharing this. See that little guy in my avatar, he's the reason why I speak out about these things. Our kids are not safe anymore, they can't even go outside and play like kids should, without being bombarded by chemicals. It's a damn shame!

S&F

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Funny you mention tea - I'm drinking iced tea made with mint and chamomile from my garden (plus a blend of cranberry, black and green teas) - sweetened with honey and dosed with lemon and lime.

reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Mostly I'm relying on trees and plants to clean the air. Sylphs sound good though. Thanks for the links.

reply to post by Stormdancer777

Great link. Thanks.

reply to post by chrismicha77

Our kids are not safe anymore, they can't even go outside and play like kids should, without being bombarded by chemicals. It's a damn shame!

I have this recurring hallucination - billions of frogs in a giant pot of boiling water.

Thanks all, sofi

edit on 9/7/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

join