It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The flying car is finally 'road legal'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
no you just couldn't fly into town to the grocery store,or fly in to do a few earns. and having to file a flight plan every time you take off, well you might as well have a real plane.

i bet aircraft owners and enthusiast are laughing at this little thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well it's about time. I didn't have much faith in some of the older models.
Does it come with an MP3/CD player and AC?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5e48b22e4f9.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c903f1cf7d5.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c72c747fd75.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d5e0d0f6502.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1481032b183.jpg[/atsimg]

I still think the Skycar is higher on the COOL factor scale.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f6bb077a336.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Helicopters and gyrocopters really scare me. When they go wrong they REALLY go wrong

At least with a plane when the motor goes wrong you have some small chance of gliding to a safe landing. Gyros and choppers just drop out of the sky.

edit on 9-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
At least with a plane when the motor goes wrong you have some small chance of gliding to a safe landing. Gyros and choppers just drop out of the sky.

I watched the videos but supposedly and [I'm no chopper pilot so I wouldn't know for sure] but there is a technique that when a choppers engine cuts out to have a controlled crash landing which is [supposedly for trained pilot in that technique] pretty safe to do.

Maybe someone here at ATS with experience and knows what I'm talking about could chime in to clarify.

edit on 9-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I have to add, with all honesty, I failed my first test for private pilot.....
The wife made me fess up.

I'm glad this wasn't in a "Personal Disclosure Forum" on another unrelated topic it could have ended up in the "HOAX" bin.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This seems like an interesting proto type even though it's already road legal and passed. It really reminded me of the ugly cumbersome mobile phones in the 1980's , Oh how we laughed ! But, just look at how sleek they have become ? Here's hoping they can achieve something slimmer and more practical in the next 25 years !

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Theres NO WAY I am flying in something which has fold-up wings for crying out loud.

FOLD-UP wings!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I watched the videos but supposedly and [I'm no chopper pilot so I wouldn't know for sure] but there is a technique that when a choppers engine cuts out to have a controlled crash landing which is [supposedly for trained pilot in that technique] pretty safe to do.

Maybe someone here at ATS with experience and knows what I'm talking about could chime in to clarify.

i'm no pilot ether, but i do know a little. it's called autorotation.
heres a link
Autorotation
edit on 9-7-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Theres NO WAY I am flying in something which has fold-up wings for crying out loud.

FOLD-UP wings!!!

What's so unusual about that?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d829b25d52c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/74f515998bc7.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/358ba5455a6c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
This isn't very practical... at all.

You need a pilots license to fly the thing, and a runway to take off and land. This isn't the flying car you saw in comic books and movies in the 80s... You wont be zipping around the skies like George Jetson.

Hell just look at the price tag... for that price you could buy yourself a plane, and a couple BMWs....

I don't even wanna imagine the cost of repairs and maintenance.
edit on 7/9/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

While I understand your doubts about it's practicality at this time, keep in mind that every advance in transportation had it's nay-sayers. I'm sure the guy who tried to jump on the back of a horse got a few ridicules from his tribesmen, as did the guy who worked on the train, the first bicycle, automobile, airplane, so on and so forth. "Are you crazy??? Riding that silly metal machine???" "Man flying? HAH! Never! What for???"

This little airplane car is just the beginning to further advances. It opens up possibilities. It paves the way for other entrepreneurs, engineers and designers. Humans will quickly adapt and learn to new technology and mode of transportation. We've adapted to the car, to airplanes, to high-speed trains, to ships, well.... the list goes on.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
no you just couldn't fly into town to the grocery store,or fly in to do a few earns. and having to file a flight plan every time you take off, well you might as well have a real plane.

i bet aircraft owners and enthusiast are laughing at this little thing.

Why would they laugh? Let's say you need to make a trip from L.A. to San Francisco. This sure as hell beats waiting at the airport for two hours each way, checking baggage, or driving out there in traffic for 6-8 hours. Think for a moment. We could have little air strips for these cars at the edge of town. You can drive it to the grocery store, you just can't land it in their parking lot. You can't park a real plane in front of your garage, and you can't drive a real plane anywhere. Sometimes I really think people lack imagination. That's troublesome, because it's people with no imagination that hold back those who try to make unusual and eventually beneficial advances for the human race.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
you want - you loose...i loose
2nd

but i thing the gyrocoptercar is much better because you can make a vertical start

edit on 9-7-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

You cannot do a vertical start with a gyro-copter. They rotor on top of a Gyro-copter is not powered, the push propeller gives you forward thrust and the wind gets the rotors turning and after going down a runway after getting the rotors up to speed it then can take off. It cannot hover or take off and land vertically.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So it's basically just a street legal plane? Well, poo, I was hoping for one that can take off like a helicopter... Much easier to get around traffic jams that way.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

They were called "Auto-Gyros"

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is from the AOPA. As just a student pilot (
) I'm still a member.
This is some of what thy had to say.

Terrafugia plans flight for Oshkosh
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011
Will there be a flying car at AirVenture 2011? Terrafugia officials are building two prototypes and hope one of them will be done in time to fly for the big EAA Oshkosh show. It is hoped, assuming all goes well during testing, that production can begin by the end of the year. The Terrafugia Transition, as it is called, is intended to cruise at 93 knots carrying a useful load of 460 pounds. Useable fuel is 23 gallons. On the road, the company predicts the two-place car, with its wings folded vertically like a bird, will get 35 miles per gallon. The high center of gravity created by the folded wings will bring interesting challenges when driving in high winds. A Rotax 912S powers it, and a full vehicle parachute is available.

Update 6/10: Schedule slips — Terrafugia said it will not have one of its prototypes done in time to fly for EAA AirVenture. Instead, the earliest a test flight could occur is March 2012, and deliveries will occur no earlier than late 2012.

blog.aopa.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Oh cool. Now I just hope no pedestrians are near by when I turn on the propeller. That could go badly.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

because it's not exactly, a lear or even a cessna now is it. which is all about aircraft. no automobile issues to worry about. plus you would have to get it inspected twice, once for highway once for air. and then i'm sure there are other things that haven't come to mind yet.

they already have small airstrips at the edge of town all over, i live just 5 miles from one town is only 8 miles.

and i'm sure those that already have a air plane already avoid waiting in a airport for 2 hrs or driving 6 to 8 hours by going to their plane at the little airports outside of town. and if the scenario you are talking about, was to play out our skies would soon look like our highways in grid lock during rush hour, or some holiday weekend.

now this craft is nothing new as far as making a flying car, how many examples have we seen in just this thread that have come before this one. just a different design to the same idea.

my idea of imagination, is something that no one else has done before, and it doesn't cause any new or existing problems that are not beneficial advances for the human race.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Time to get rid of all this primitive propeller B.S. and move on to antigravity.

Cowards.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
saw this on another thread "why we don't have flying cars"

Hoverbike

beezer's stealth SHTF dream vehicle

Time to get rid of all this primitive propeller B.S. and move on to antigravity.

ditto
edit on 9-7-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
saw this on another thread "why we don't have flying cars"

Hoverbike

beezer's stealth SHTF dream vehicle

SWEET!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join