It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STARZ new show, "Torchwood"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I think it wa a bbc show. A kinda piss take sci fi series with lesbians in n stuff

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

I think it wa a bbc show. A kinda piss take sci fi series with lesbians in n stuff

Captain Jack is Omnisexual...for the record.

MM

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

Errrrm......no. You got the BBC bit right but the rest is nonsense. It's based off Dr Who and while it's meant to be light-hearted sci-fi, it's not a "pisstake" of anything nor is it full of "lesbians in n stuff". One of the characters happens to be bi-sexual yes, but this shouldn't detract from the greatness of the series unless you are homophobic or something.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Captian Jack is also known as "the face of Boe"
He was affected by time/reality when he took a trip on the Tardis...clung to the outside of it, as he was trying to communicate with the Dr.
This vid appears to be someone effort to try to show the link..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

IMO, Torchwood is very much adult themed..

There is usually some amount of strong language used and some form of sexual content.

Dr Who is aimed at everyone from 5 to 93.. whereas Torchwood seems to be aimed at the older teens and upwards.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am glad for BBC America otherwise I couldn't get my Who on. Is it just me or is anyone else peeved that with all the great stuff on the BBC all we get here in the US is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare run over and over again. I resent getting the dumbed down version of the BBC

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
One of the characters happens to be bi-sexual yes, but this shouldn't detract from the greatness of the series unless you are homophobic or something.

He...is...Omnisexual...for the record.

Meaning he will have sex with anyone or anything.

Not Bi-sexual...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

OMG...you just didn't post Jack is the Face of-

I can't even type it...

You can't do that!

Spoiler Alert! And possibly the biggest one in the entire series!

MM

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
reply to post by Extralien

OMG...you just didn't post Jack is the Face of-

I can't even type it...

You can't do that!

Spoiler Alert! And possibly the biggest one in the entire series!

MM

AArgh fifteen hail marys!!!!

You cant tell them that Extraalien!! Huge spoiler that.
What a great bit of writing that was at the end of that "particular" episode which had us finding out that a "particular" person was, also, a particular person. You could have knocked me over with a sonic screwdriver.
anyway, Torchwood is fantastic, not quite as good as Who in my opinion, but nevertheless, brilliant. I met Russel T Davies (the creator), (not the actuall creator but the creator of the show) and he was really nice guy.
From what i could gather from reading the newspaper today is that new series has had a massive dose of American cash and such people as Bill Pullman in it. The new series also appears to be set in the USA.
I hope its gonna be good, but i think there is something endearing about having it set in Wales with Welsh people and i think that will be missed, (yes im biased, im welsh)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

You mean to tell me that you're all 4 years behind over there?

Anyway, been reading a bit more..found a little more snippits of info relating to Boe.. is he or isn't he??

In the episode "Last of the Time Lords", the immortal time traveller Captain Jack Harkness expresses concern about how he might look if he lives "for a million years", because although he can't die, he is still aging, albeit slowly. He tells the Doctor and Martha Jones that it's a matter of vanity, because he "used to be a poster boy when [he] was a kid in the Boeshane Peninsula", as "the first one ever to be signed up for the Time Agency," earning him the name "the Face of Boe". This astonishes Martha and the skeptical Doctor.

Writer Russell T Davies, in the episode's commentary, called the implication of this scene "a theory" as to the Face of Boe's origins, prompting Executive Producer Julie Gardner to urge him to "stop back-pedaling" about the two characters being the same. Davies also said that after writing the scene he inserted a line in the ADR recording for "Gridlock" in which the Face of Boe calls the Doctor "old friend".[1] However, Davies doesn't like making the relationship explicit, stating "the moment it became very true or very false, the joke dies". He has refused the publication of spin-off novels and comic books that have tried to definitively link the two.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

My bad...

i had no idea..

It's 4 year old news here.. I've got no idea as to how 'up-to-date' any other country is..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

My bad...

i had no idea..

It's 4 year old news here.. I've got no idea as to how 'up-to-date' any other country is..

Nah joking, not the end of the world

I hope they enjoy it in the states, it does have some adult themes but i think theyre dealt with well. And some of the plots i have to say, are scary and downright disturbing, especial the giant slug thing in the warehouse (yes i know that sounds funny, but its quite a horrific plot idea), and the one where the child becames an old man and,well i wont say anymore because its a fantastic story line.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I am a new fan to Doctor Who. I've seen all of the Matt Smith episodes so far, all of the ninth doctor (forgot his name) and about half of David Tennant's run and BBC America just started showing Tennant's start as the doctor in reruns so I am catching up. I wanted to say that the first couple of times I watched doctor who I really did not like it. In fact, had I not seen the brilliant episodes around the end of Tennant's tenure and the Matt Smith era I probably would not have gotten hooked as I did. There's a lot of goofiness in this show that initially turned me off but after the brilliant writing I found myself enjoying the show more and more and now it's one of my favorites. A lot of the aliens look silly and the special effects are lower than the standard I am used to, but the writing is seriously brilliant, and both Tennant and Smith have tons of charm and charisma that it's hard not to love them. There is a lot of mythology in the story and it has much more depth than I had assumed. If you have a scientific mind, you may want to relax and not think too hard when watching the show.

I was familiar with Captain Jack and Torchwood from the episodes of Doctor Who I had seen, but I had not actually seen the Torchwood show itself. I don't know how different this Starz version is, but I know that they have a bigger budget and is changing the setting to the United States. I watched the first episode of Miracle Day and I enjoyed it, I'll keep watching it. I will check out the original Torchwood episodes too.

EDIT: I also wanted to clarify for everyone that is confused, Torchwood: Miracle Day is series/season 4 of Torchwood. It is now co-produced by US network Starz. It still stars John Barrowman and Eve Myles and Russel T. Davies is still in charge of the writing. Torchwood is relocated to the United States at the end of the first episode. It premiered on Starz on July 8 and will premiere on BBC on July 14.
edit on 7/10/2011 by MrAndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Quite a lot of people (including myself) were very sad to see Tennant go,i think he was the best of the "new" incarnations of the Doctor. I would say if your aufait with Matt Smith then you need to see the Tennant episodes because personally i think the characters and plots and writing is far superior. I always preferred the episodes written by Russel t Davies as opposed to Stephen Moffat, who has now taken over writing in the Matt Smith episodes, My favourite episodes would have to be, Midnight, The fires of Pompei, Utopia/sound of the drums/last of the timelords/ and of course The Runaway Bride, cos its funny

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wow looks like o have catching up to do! I know what will be in my Netflix feed for a while!

Thanks everyone! I've watched the first episode on starz three times already lol

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

"Fires of Pompeii" was actually the first doctor who episode I ever saw, and I've seen everything from that going forward, all of Eccleston's run and the BBCA reruns are about two episodes in to Tennant's run.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

It's still on the BBC in the UK, maybe STARZ paid for the show, the beeb needs all the money it can get at the moment.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I quite liked torchwood...good series, but only caught the first season.
Watch it (like many other lesser knowns) online. funny, for a bazillion different channels on cable, they sure take their time getting decent programming from overseas on.

Still waiting for Dr. Who to pick up...trying not to watch the episodes online, but they are what, 2 seasons behind over here now...I think SyFy cancelled it (because they went from SciFi to SyFy, which included cancelling any quality show they had and replace it with rasslin, endless ghost hunters, and an auction show)

Its worth the watch...its not as intriguing as Dr Who, but its much better than that Sarah Jane crap they tried to put on.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I quite liked torchwood...good series, but only caught the first season.
Watch it (like many other lesser knowns) online. funny, for a bazillion different channels on cable, they sure take their time getting decent programming from overseas on.

Still waiting for Dr. Who to pick up...trying not to watch the episodes online, but they are what, 2 seasons behind over here now...I think SyFy cancelled it (because they went from SciFi to SyFy, which included cancelling any quality show they had and replace it with rasslin, endless ghost hunters, and an auction show)

Its worth the watch...its not as intriguing as Dr Who, but its much better than that Sarah Jane crap they tried to put on.

Are you in the States? Doctor Who is shown on BBC America and the new episodes were airing same day as BBC, except they skipped a week for the last two episodes before the break for some reason. I wish it was in HD though. I watched Doctor Who online in HD and I was impressed with the detail put in with the makeup on the aliens.

I read that there may only be a few Doctor Who specials in 2012, like what happened in 2009 i suppose. =\

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Im just watching the new series, im pretty impressed, but ive just seen something so horrible on it, i actually think im gonna throw up

still love it though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join