It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STARZ new show, "Torchwood"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm a little confused.

Starz says it's a new series but I know I've heard of it and imdb has it on in 2006.

Did starz pick it up? Where are the other seasons? I did read it was a BBC show first which is probably where I saw it years ago. I love BBC!

Anyway I like this show! It's the first to keep my interest in the first episode on starz...I'd like to see the previous 3 seasons. I'll have to check Netflix!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah, its only new on STARZ, but has been out for a few years on BBC. The only good thing about it is Captain Jack (great character from Dr Who, as you must already know.) I'm not a fan of Torchwood or any of the Dr Who Spin offs myself...but I love love LOVE me some Doctor Who (more so old Tom Baker episodes but the new stuff is the best stuff on TV today, IMHO).

Just had to post here seeing its Who related.

PS- Bowties ARE cool sure...but scarfs are FAR more cooler.

MM
edit on 9-7-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

Yeah, its only new on STARZ, but has been out for a few years on BBC. The only good thing about it is Captain Jack (great character from Dr Who, as you must already know.) I'm not a fan of Torchwood or any of the Dr Who Spin offs myself...but I love love LOVE me some Doctor Who (more so old Tom Baker episodes but the new stuff is the best stuff on TV today, IMHO).

Just had to post here seeing its Who related.

PS- Bowties ARE cool sure...but scarfs are FAR more cooler.

MM
edit on 9-7-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

Hey MM!!

I've never seen Dr. Who but I've heard of it and it's on all the time. If it were ondemand I'd watch it but it's so random I get lost lol

So Torchwood is a soon off? Interesting...

Torchwood was on the BBC first and now starz? Was it cancelled on BBC?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I am glad someone picked up the show. I hope it will generate some interest and get them thinking about more episodes. I might start re-watching them to help me through my DR Who withdrawals.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Torchwood has already had 4 seasons on BBC. This is Season 5 on a new network.

On another note I happen to love the show, hopefully they have kept to the original feel with this new season.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Torchwood has already had 4 seasons on BBC. This is Season 5 on a new network.

On another note I happen to love the show, hopefully they have kept to the original feel with this new season.

It looks like the original cast is on it. The last scene had the American guy extraditing the Torchwood group to the USA. I just looked it up online again and it does seem the main people will be on this one and it's basically a continuation from the BBC one but in America and the two now cross. I like it and want to watch the first seasons of it!

I like a lot if shows from BBC so I'm not surprised I like this since that's where it started.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Series 4 is supposed to be the last series.

You're talking about Miracle Day which is airing tonight I assume?

It may be a good thing to not have seen Dr Who, the two shows are starkly different, Torchwood is much more grittier where Dr Who, whilst brilliantly written is more family friendly.

Oh and how was the launch yesterday? I caught it on a HD live stream, was awesome!

edit on 9/7/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
I am glad someone picked up the show. I hope it will generate some interest and get them thinking about more episodes. I might start re-watching them to help me through my DR Who withdrawals.

I watched Dr who maybe two times and was confused. I need to watch from the beginning!

Torchwood is on STARZ which is an added pay channel so if you don't pay for starz you can't watch it. Starz had another cool show, Camelot, but it was just cancelled and incant figure out why! I hope this show stays, I like the concept.
edit on 7/9/2011 by mblahnikluver because: Damn iPhone auto correct!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Are you sure?

IMDB is showing Miracle Day as series four.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

You're talking about Miracle Day which is airing tonight I assume?

It may be a good thing to not have seen Dr Who, the two shows are starkly different, Torchwood is much more grittier where Dr Who, whilst brilliantly written is more family friendly.

Oh and how was the launch yesterday? I caught it on a HD live stream, was awesome!

edit on 9/7/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

So it's only going to be one season? That sucks!

Why did it move to starz from BBC? Is it still on there? I was on the message boards and Americans ate confused! Lol

It's been advertised as a new series here but I knew it had been on before and was confused on what was going on.

The launch was great!! It was cloudy so it was nice that it was still visible. I posted my video in general chit chat

They have had shuttle shows on the last few days. They all make me sad and I can't watch them! Lol I love the shuttle and I know many saw it as a waste but I didn't.

edit on 7/9/2011 by mblahnikluver because: Stupid auto correct!!!! I need a laptop

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Yup its a spin off that ties into the never ending Whoniverse but its a little more gritty than Dr Who.

I'm shocked you have not taken in the show, it seems pretty damn right up your ally. Its heart warming and alien involved, as well as complex and deep. Some will say that is not true, but those folks have not watched enough "Who" to see how good it really is. The entire series dating all the way back to the early 60s is one of the most amazing additions to the Sci Fi realm ever created, and the new show never disappoints.

I would love for you to start watching it actually.

I won't link to the new episodes since all online free sources are illegal or not supported by BBC (they are overly protective of the series), but I'll tell ya they do exist online for free. Here is a short list of the first season's episodes-by name- of the 2005 series still running now in its 6th year.

Ep 1- "Rose"
Ep 2- "End of the world"
EP 3- "The Unquite dead"
EP 4- "Aliens of London" (part 1)
EP 5- "World War Three" (part 2)
EP 6- "Dalek"
EP 7- "The Long Game"
EP 8- "Father's Game"
EP 9- "The Empty Child"
EP 10- "The Empty Child" (part 1)
EP 11- "The Doctor Dances" (part 2)
EP 12- "Boom Town"
EP 13- "Bad Wolf"
EP 14- "The parting of ways"

Find those and watch them in order and you will be up to date on what is going on. No need to watch all the old stuff from decades ago, that will get you going fine. From there, you will surly be hooked or just think my taste sucks. But I'd bet big money you will be hooked.

After that series of 14 episodes, there are five more to watch, and what a fricken ride they are. Absolutely amazing work and the best Sci Fi out today.

To find them, I suggest doing a search by episode title name. You can find them on Netflix (I think?) if you got it but I have rewatched each and every episode on foreign Tube-sites (mostly from japan) and with a little work you can find them.

I hope you do...if not, well I truly think you are missing out on some of the most endearing stories ever written for the Sci Fi genre as a whole. I really mean that.

After all, its the only thing on TV I actually watch after giving up television for almost seven years now. I cut it all out of my life...but I just couldn't leave the Doctor. He never left me during all the years of my life, I just couldn't do that to him.

He is my ultimate fictional hero after all.

MM

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Kryties

Are you sure?

IMDB is showing Miracle Day as series four.

Woops my bad, yeah I meant 3 seasons on BBC and this is Season 4.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Seems like a bit of a ridiculous thing to have it on a new network only to be canned at the end of the season.
edit on 9/7/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Wow thanks!

Yes I've been told by many (miss BP) and others I'd enjoy this show.

The only option I have is netflix since I'm sans a computer right now. I'm on my iPhone now.

If the seasons are cheap I'd just buy them so I'll look on eBay and amazon.

I need something to watch all my shows are ending or all the networks I like are selling out to reality shows. I hate reality shows lol

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Nothing confirmed but I'd say if it doesn't have a good audience this year, that'll be it.

But you never know with tv...they cancel shows like Firefly and keep rubbish like Jersey Shore..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I couldn't agree more! People here love Jerry Springer tv. That's what I call the crap programming we have here and any series get axed and usually for no real reason then replaced with some stupid reality show. I guess it's cheaper to pay idiots willing to act like fools for money than actors...just my guess lol

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
A little bit of TV trivia for those who are interested in Torchwood..

Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who. Torchwood has been involved in some of the previous series of Dr. Who and the link is explained several times if you were to watch them, in particular, the ones with the cybermen invasion with the actor David Tennant playing the Dr.

If I recall correctly, it was the 'rise of the cybermen' that Torchwood makes it's main debut. I think in one other episode where the Dr. was in Scotland with queen Victoria, you get to hear Q. Vic say they are going to set up Torchwood.

Oh, and please correct me if I'm wrong on any points.. doing it all from memory

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That's all too true. I'm getting absolutely fed up with having great shows canned after one or two seasons - and the networks wonder why they lose viewers.

Outcasts is the latest I'm thinking of - great show yet canned after the first season. At least Firefly got Serenity but it's a small reward for such a great show.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
A little bit of TV trivia for those who are interested in Torchwood..

Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.

OMG how did I NOT know/notice that?!

Thank you for adding to my Who knowledge. I owe ya one.

MM

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You can watch all the previous Torchwoods on Netflix & all the Dr. Whos on Netflix! I was very sick about a month ago and that's how I spent my time.

The Torchwood Institute is first mentioned (and begins) on the Season 2 ep.3 Dr. Who, Tooth & Claw. That's the one with Queen Victoria. It is set at the "Torchwood Estate".

As for the seasons. The last season one, season 3, had a huge budget cut so they just made it into more of a mini series. Then it was picked up by Starz. I haven't watched last night's ep yet, I hope it's good!

I just love some Dr. Who & Torchwood.......

OiO

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

You're very welcome...

And just done some looking.. gotta correct myself.. it's the "Army of ghosts" episode..
This is scene 14..

ETA;

"Army of Ghosts" is the twelfth and penultimate episode in the second series of the British science fiction television series Doctor Who which was first broadcast on 1 July 2006.[1] It is the first episode of a two-part story; the concluding episode, "Doomsday", was first broadcast on 8 July. The episode takes place on contemporary Earth, some time after the Doctor's and Rose's visit to Earth in "Love & Monsters". During this time, the public have become accustomed to intermittent appearances of ghosts. The Doctor tracks the source of the ghosts to the Torchwood Institute, where the Doctor learns of the Cybermen from "Rise of the Cybermen" and "The Age of Steel" crossing a breach in the Void created by a Dalek-piloted Void ship.

en.wikipedia.org...

And as for Torchwood itself..

The Torchwood Institute (usually referred to simply as Torchwood) is a fictional secret organisation from the British science fiction television series Doctor Who and its spin-off series Torchwood. It was established in 1879 by Queen Victoria after the events of Tooth and Claw, its prime purpose is to defend the earth against extraterrestrial threats. It is later revealed in Army of Ghosts that the Torchwood Institute has begun to use their findings to restore the British Empire to its former glory. To those ends, the organisation started to acquire and reverse engineer alien technology. According to one of its base's directors, Yvonne Hartman, its nationalist attitude includes refusing to use metric units

en.wikipedia.org...

Kinda glad I remembered the bit about Q. Vic

edit on 9-7-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join