Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Massive protest in Malaysia RIGHT NOW!!!! I just got tear gassed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
It was never been easy to change situation with only a small number of people but situation can change too if they are united just like here in 98.
Watch the news protest is over now, but the opposition leader anwar ibrahim from interview in local tv said they might arrange bigger one if gov wont perform a fair election next year.
Hope the best for malaysian.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Go an watch a protest, expect the results!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The King gave the ok, government says no. Some King they've got. Worthless just like Thai king. Islamic government rules Malaysia and they will always be oppressed. That goes for any country under Islamic rule.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by soaringhawk

Once again this wasnt a racial or religious issue, Having lived here I can tell you its not that bad. No worse Im guessing than many eastern euopean countries and probably better than most Sth American or Soviet bloc govs.

Its really not that bad here....Usually

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
MSM is saying 1600 arrests.. And also a tiny little article on another earthquake in northern Japan..

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

The government is Islamic, they are oppressed automatically. Ethnic Malays have to have Islam on their I.D card.
If they want it changed they must appear to a tribunal. Anytime religion rules government the people will suffer. That goes for secular humanist one's too. Christian's are oppressed in Malaysia.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
From there most of the crowd ran away but a few idiots decided to attack the cops, needless to say they got the crap beaten out of them, I saw a man get kicked and hit with a baton repeatedly while on the ground.

Why are they idiots? You just said some fascist police unit openly attacked peaceful protesters. They have EVERY RIGHT to defend themselves from a mob of crazed lunatics (Malaysian police).

From what you said they have every right to beat up the police, any way

Do you realize the difference between being motivated and justified, and being an idiot?

They are not mutually exclusive....just because the people may have been justified to attack police... Doesnt mean it was the smartest thing to do...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hi I'm a Malaysian citizen living just about an hour away from the city. If I'm not mistaken, roadblocks begin last Friday before the protest causing massive jams and all public transport were rerouted, cutting off access to several locations in the city centre where the planned protest were to be held.

The media here is saying that it was a failure for the protesters, whom according to their numbers equals to a total of 5000 people, if my sources are correct.

But I call bull# on that, as you can see in the videos, there were much more than 5000 people and many of them formed multiple groups around the city centre.

I'm a student, living in Klang, it's near the city centre so I can update with whatever info you guys need about what the media is telling us.

Also, our school received a warning message from the Education Minister , banning all teachers and students under the government school system to join in any of the protest. They are calling it illegal and we are to be suspended if we are found to be a participant in any of the protest activities. Btw, protest is called Bersih (clean in Malay)

It is a multiracial protest formed by a coalition of opposition parties.

Do tell me what you need to know and I'll try to get back to you.

Cheers, Yamhead

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ArcheoAstronomer

You are right when all is lost things will change but not on a positive note. As for code pink women are known to be good trouble makers. However they are a majority in any revolution. If you believe that some middle aged women dressed in pink are going to save you then you have no real idea what it is going to take.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by soaringhawk

To say anyone is oppressed here is in my opinion ignorance, there are advantages to being Malay or as they call them "Bumi Putra" such as scholarships, cheaper home loans etc but no one is put down.

I would be interested to know were you heard Christians were oppressed. I may be the ignorant one here

But yes Sharia law does apply here but only to Muslims and its only enforced on special occasions.
I could get caught in bed with a Muslim girl by the Sharia cops here and I wouldnt be in any trouble (not from them but Im sure her dad would kill me LOL )

Religion doesnt play a big part in everyday life for the vast majority of Malaysians

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Hey! Where are you at right now? How's everything over there?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Yamhead

Hey dude,

Its great to meet a fellow Malaysian on here

Id always wondered if anyone else in the country came here, now I know.

Cheers dude

P.s there were way more than 5 000, there was at least 20 000 were I was at Pudu, another big one in Bukit Bintang, one on Jalan Ampang and heaps at Merdeka square.
After reading a few lines of the star and seeing the line they took I didnt bother with the rest of the "news" I just looked at the pics hoping to see myself LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Hey!! Yeah, its good to know too that a fellow Malaysian in on this here site... and I was wondering exactly that when I joined awhile back too...

Yep! That's exactly what I've heard and saw from the videos and posts of the people who were there, no way there was only a couple of thousand people attending the protests... Even so, I think it was considered quite a success that people managed to get into the city centre. It was practically cut off from the outside.

So didya manage to catch yourself in it?
P Man I wish I was there to witness it....

So much for our country being democratic :

If I'm not mistaken I think the police also hurled tear gas to the protestors who were sitting down.

Here's a couple of images for fellow ATS'ers

fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...

Edit : Oh and stay safe my friend/fellow Malaysian
edit on 10-7-2011 by Yamhead because:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapeian
reply to post by dadgad

If you don't care, why bother to waste time and even provoke responses from other posters or the OP himself?

On topic: I hope that you, as many others have already said, stay safe, document and update as much as possible and when convenient.

Peace

I had to express my feelings. Did it bother you?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
reply to post by dadgad

My apologies if it came across as sensationalised or dramatic, When I wrote the OP my heart was still racing and things were still going on all around me.
Didnt have time to give a proper report as I wanted to get back to it.

People have posted on the thread what it was all about and various news reports so I assumed anyone who was genuinely interested would have read those to get up to date.

Be happy to answer any questions you have though

No problem. I understand. Glad you're well.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This was an account from a friend who lives in the area:

News Report on Youtube Hi all, My apologies for my extended absence. I've been very busy of late helping out in whatever way with the Bersih 2.0 (stands for 'clean') rally that was held yesterday in Malaysia. Have a look at the Youtube link above for a quick recap of what happened. Essentially, the movement is organized by a group of 62 NGOs with the objective of seeing clean and fair elections in Malaysia. We are sick of the way our draconian government has lorded over us for the past 53 years.....huge amounts of corruption, police brutality and dirty tactics. We marched together yesterday between 2pm and 4pm Malaysian time....there was no violence on our part. We sang patriotic songs as we marched and carried yellow balloons and flowers. There were women, children, elderly and even disabled people among us. In total, roughly around 20,000 turned up for this. How did the police respond? They peppered us with hundreds of tear gas grenades and doused us with chemically-laced water from water cannons. They even shot tear gas into a MATERNITY hospital in order to weed out some rally members. This is a very critical period in Malaysia and the weeks to come will no doubt see many developments. I may or may not have much time to be online as I have dedicated my time to help out as much as I can in whatever way I can. The government is also threatening an internet blackout as there is already a ton of footage out there documenting how the police brutalized peaceful demonstrators....they don't want the world to see this. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers! This is Bersih 2.0s main homepage....you can find out more here: BERSIH 2.0

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

Hey! This is not a doomsday thread, OP is just a Malaysian stuck in a middle of a protest and everything to us seems very big right now because usually our protest are cut off and nothing happens out of it. This time it looks a little bit brighter for the hope of change coming about our country and we're protesting for a reasonable cause.

I know it might not mean much to you as you don't live in this country but to the people here it means alot. Sure we have people who don't support protest like these. I mean who wants violence and rage in a normally peaceful country?

That said, I understand that it seems mundane or alarmist for us to be posting this but this means something to Malaysians and I will gladly answer whatever questions to the best of my ability about the current situation as I'm just only a young student.

Cheers.
Yamhead
edit on 10-7-2011 by Yamhead because: Spelling! :

Edit: After re reading your post, I understand that you require more information, do ask us about anything
edit on 10-7-2011 by Yamhead because: Yeah...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Yamhead

Yeah got caught in it by accident LOL it was an unbelievable experience, Im glad I got to see it with my own eyes.
Ive seen alot of footage and pics but it is not even comparable to actually being there.

As an honarary Malaysian as opposed to an actual one I didnt hear or know much about this. You obviously knew more, were you concerned? did you feel the protest was a good thing or bad?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Yes, I've heard about the protest at the start of the week before the protests started, but I can't really say that I know ALOT about the protest as I was really busy with my exams like I said in a post before, it really got my attention when we were banned from joining the protest from an announcement in school.

I've actually gotten used (not to the point of being submissive)(I still try to be aware of things) to the almost totalitarian control over political activities in Malaysia that I'd wouldn't bother that much about it as it gets suppressed as soon as its planned and I didn't really read into the protest until they did that move on us students and by blockading all roads leading to the protest which was in no way intended to be violent or supporting any illegal causes.

So I'll be keeping myself updated with my friends and family all around Malaysia in the next few weeks just to see if any new knowledge turns out as I think all that can be know is already on this thread or available over here at the Bersih website.

I've also heard rumors about other countries funding our protests to topple our government so that something to the extent of what it looks now in Libya. This is just a rumor and I cannot confirm if it's true or not.

Me? I feel that this protest if done right is not in any way wrong, because what we want is a more transparent voting system. And honestly in my opinion I feel that the current political system is flawed, we don't actually really get to elect who we really want to run this country. I fear of talking too much as I have a feeling that we are being monitored in our internet activities.

I was really concerned, because is this what our country really is? Where they claim to provide freedom of speech (to a certain extent but this is not freedom at all) where they disallow any mass protest of sorts? What happens next? I can't just leave this country, my family and friends are here, I cannot afford to migrate to another country as of now. What if the protests escalates into something worse? If the government doesn't give in, what if it escalates into an oust by the people? Will be another second Egypt? Where right now I don't think everything's going smoothly for them, what will happen to my grandparents who are in their golden years and what if their bodies cannot handle the stress of a country in anarchy?

I'm really concerned, but then again if nothing happens, are we going to just continue on the worsening road of the violation of our rights? What happens 10 years on? Are we going to transform into a police state? I don't know...

Sorry for the wall of text :\

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aceofclubs

Originally posted by NadaCambia
The government and media did that in England to drum up tension for the war against Iraq I remember. They started reporting gang warfare as race riots and purposely incited actual race riots by making the racists think there was a race war when there wasn't
source? that sounds like you made it up i lived here all my life the only race riots i know of are the oldham riots and thay started in a pub i used to go in alot and thay were as real as it gets.

reply to post by HazyChestNutz

nice find on the vid. makes it clear its really going down in a big way. those are heavy handed police i can see why the crowed fights back
edit on 9/7/11 by Aceofclubs because: second reply

I'm not saying the race riots didn't happen, I'm saying the media incited them by pushing lies. It was used to drum up anti-muslim sentiment to generate support for our foreign policy.

Take the Burnley riots as an example. I know for an absolute fact that was gang warfare between 2 gangs that happened to be white and pakistani(it's actually conceded now, eventually, but most people are unaware of this). Despite the government and media attempts to turn people against each other and start a race war, it didn't happen. The only rioting that took place was between police and whites and police and asians - Ironically, most these people weren't locals and turned up out of the blue! I was walking through heavily Asian communities freely when it was happening. You can't find a video of a riot between whites and asians because there never was one. A very small minority of idiots on both sides.

And the Bradford riots shortly after were just the NF and BNP getting their arses kicked once more. With the conflict again mainly involving the police.

I can't speak on Oldham as I don't know the area. If you were in the pub it started then I take your word for it.

The point is whenever there's trouble between Asian gangs and BNP hooligans the media and government purposely exacerbate the situation by lying about what's happening, and have the Asian community as a whole thinking whites are running about trying to beat them up, and the white community as a whole thinking Asians are doing the same. With the reality being it's almost always fringe groups of criminals who make up .1% of the population.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join