It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive protest in Malaysia RIGHT NOW!!!! I just got tear gassed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

hey dude,

Thanks for the concern

Their protesting for fair elections, its not compulsory to vote here and in the past few years alot of people have gone to register but found they were already registered.
Also things like pets being registered and 1 bedroom apartments having 60 registered voters in them.

basically things that go on everywhere else.

I was somewhat surprised that the vast majority of people here are under the impression that the US or Aust etc is uncorrupt and somehow different.
It was funny trying to explain to people that it really isnt that much different where ever you go, they dont seem to comprehend it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarksThoughts
The point is that the Muslim/Malay have gained enough power to rig the elections in their favor. This leads to the direct oppression of the ethnic Chinese and Indian populations within the nation. This is another example of the 'peace-loving' Islamic radicals attempting to force their concepts of society onto others.
I have spent years in highly conservative Islamic nations and in more secular Islamic nations. None of it is good. None of the 'teachings' the 'religion' is based upon can fit within a modern secular society enjoyed by those of us who live in the West.
There is going to be a time in the near future when those who are of the Islamic philosophy are going to need to be faced down and fought, hard, by everyone in the world who believes in personal freedom, in the inalienable rights we are endowed with by our Creator. Sound familiar?
Stay safe and keep an eye on what the protestors are saying. Let us know.

This doesnt have anything to do with race or religion, it is about corruption plain and simple, the vast majority of protesters were themselves Malay/Muslim.
I cannot stress enough this was not and had nothing to do with race or religion, this was about people being fed up with government excess and dodgyness.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm a Singaporean and no matter how terrible the condition gets, we can never riot. Why? The goverment has placed so many laws to prevent themselves from getting overthrown. Example:

"Chapter VIII: Offences against the public tranquillity
Unlawful assembly – An assembly of five or more persons is an "unlawful assembly" if the common object of the persons composing that assembly is —
(a) to overawe by criminal force, or show of criminal force, the Legislative or Executive Government, or any public servant in the exercise of the lawful power of such public servant;
(b) to resist the execution of any law, or of any legal process;
(c) to commit any mischief or criminal trespass, or other offence;
(d) by means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to any person, to take or obtain possession of any property, or to deprive any person of the enjoyment of a right of way, or of the use of water or other incorporeal right of which he is in possession or enjoyment, or to enforce any right or supposed right; or
(e) by means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to compel any person to do what he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do what he is legally entitled to do.
The punishment for being a member of an unlawful assembly is imprisonment of up to six months, or a fine, or both.
Rioting – The offence of rioting is committed whenever force or violence is used by an unlawful assembly or by any member thereof, in prosecution of the common object of the assembly. The punishment for rioting is imprisonment of up to five years and caning, or imprisonment of up to seven years and caning if a person is found rioting while armed with a deadly weapon.
Affray – An affray is committed when two or more persons fight in a public place and disturb the public peace. The punish when somment for affray is imprisonment of up to one year, or a fine of up to S$1,000, or both."

.No matter how terrible the conditions are here, none of us will riot for we are afraid of all the fines and punishments. Whenever I talk to somebody regarding the government, riots or freedom, they would just say "Don't be stupid, what makes you think you can overthrow them?" So, I'm currently waiting for the time when some brave soul would tip the balance.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Top post dude!!!!!

I didnt mean to be in the protest or want to get caught up but I really was rootin for the people to get the better of the cops.
The water cannons were actually spraying something that burned, some sort of chemical so standing in front of it wasnt really an option.

Lots of people had the masks and goggles but 95% of people just wanted to be heard and didnt want trouble.

They needed someone like you here keeping them organised

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

My apologies if it came across as sensationalised or dramatic, When I wrote the OP my heart was still racing and things were still going on all around me.
Didnt have time to give a proper report as I wanted to get back to it.

People have posted on the thread what it was all about and various news reports so I assumed anyone who was genuinely interested would have read those to get up to date.

Be happy to answer any questions you have though

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dadgad

If you don't care, why bother to waste time and even provoke responses from other posters or the OP himself?

On topic: I hope that you, as many others have already said, stay safe, document and update as much as possible and when convenient.

Peace

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MarksThoughts

The same exact thing could be said for many of those radical Christians in the American South. The problem is NOT Islam. It is demagogues who use religion as a tool of control. Same in the West as in the East.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
OK its all over.
Being honest Im kinda disapointed the people allowed themselves to be pushed aside but I can understand why.

It was an intense day to say the least, I kinda feel like an anarchist fighting the man LOL

I actually learnt alot today, First is how easily people will swallow what the media say. Prior to Weds last week no one mentioned the protest then all of a sudden the gov are saying its bad for the country and foreigners will think its unsafe and everyone in KL is saying the exact same line!!!!!!

Second thing I learned is that mob mentality is contagious, I had no intention of being caught up in what happened yesterday and it ws just dumb luck i was there. But when your in amongst it and can feel thousands of people around you united in purpose and on your side it is an unbelievably intoxicating feeling.
When it all went down and I was caught up in the moment if they had of charged the police Im sure I would have joined in and thats not usually me.

Something else that I noticed was the police had 3 distinct groups, there was the riot police who stood way at the back, then you had a big line of regular police and then in front of that you had what looked like hired thugs in police uniform, these front line "police" were blatantly looking for trouble and all the beatings came from this group.

Im glad I was able to be part of it and definately have a story Ill be able to tell for ages, seriously how many people can say they have been tear gassed

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I notice you mentioned 10,000 as an estimate for protesters. The video you posted looks to be no more than few thousand. Sorry if you have addressed this discrepancy already.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The stats for the US is middle aged women as the majority. Add to this the people who just don't know or don't care. Major resistance in the US give me a break.

reply to post by redrose123

Have you heard of Code Pink? The Americans are holding on trying to keep home and life together as we swirl down the drain. As soon as it all goes away, things will change. Lets not sell the US Citizen short.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Estimates in the MSM say between 20 000 and 30 000, Im sure there were more.
The protests were spread over 4 spots with the people planning to all converge on a stadium but the police stopped them from joining.

In the vid posted most of the people had already run down the street and were behind camera

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Only Tupak would know how to get a cop without exactly killing him...
Yeah... Tupak...
On a side note I see no site of this on the CNN website...
Facepalm CNN.
edit on 9-7-2011 by tribaltrip because: just checked the site again... its there... was it you Tupak?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Also from military experience, Vaseline on exposed skin, and wear gloves. And walk into the shower with the cloths on to start cleaning them, and do not wash them with anything else, especially your undershorts!

Stay safe, and and tell the local to give 'em hell.
edit on 9/7/11 by barkingdogamato because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

edit on 9-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Wow, I was just there a month ago. I love Malaysia and the people, hope all is ok.

Stay safe and keep posting the situation there!.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
That sounds epic. You should come back with water balloons filled with syrup, throw them at the cops, and get them all sticky. That'll show 'em, everybody hates being sticky.
edit on 9-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

QFT.

second line.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
From there most of the crowd ran away but a few idiots decided to attack the cops, needless to say they got the crap beaten out of them, I saw a man get kicked and hit with a baton repeatedly while on the ground.

Why are they idiots? You just said some fascist police unit openly attacked peaceful protesters. They have EVERY RIGHT to defend themselves from a mob of crazed lunatics (Malaysian police).

From what you said they have every right to beat up the police, any way

While I agree that everyone ideally should fight back... when only a small portion does so.... it's stupid. When there is no chance for victory -- it becomes time to retreat. Simple strategy. Although.... I agree that it takes some stupid/idiotic/suicidal people to stand up for what is right before the rest of the populace follows suit.

However... It's always stupid to fight a losing battle. I think that's what he meant when he called them idiots.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'll add that anyone who thinks these autocrats will surrender easily needs to study history. There are new and better chemicals to subdue the masses...most of our commonly held beliefs are probably lies.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Yeah you are a liar, and I have no patience for liars. I'm a "show me" type of person, and to me all you have managed to do was get people interested in your BS,

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Here's my opinion of this... Good for the people of Malaysia! There protesting with good reason actually, great reason. They aren't giving in as of now anyway. They are fighting back against the police, and we even have an ATS fan in the middle of it. Can't get any better than this.
I loved the footage it gave me great detail of what is going on down there. Stay safe man and keep up the good work.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join