Massive protest in Malaysia RIGHT NOW!!!! I just got tear gassed

page: 1
89
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
+61 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hey Guys,

Some of you may be aware that a huge rally was organised for today in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.
I currently live here and I broke up with my GF a few weeks ago, Ive been staying in a hotel in the city. I was woken up today by shouting and screaming and went down to have a look.

There isd about 300 000 people in the middle of KL right now, the King originally gave permission but the gov said no, people have turned up anyway!!

It was going well and peacefully until riot police turned up and turned the water cannon on, from there all hell has broken loose!!!!!

They fired tear gas cannisters into the crowd hitting a man a few feet away from me in the head, for anyone who hasnt been tear gassed its not fun, not exactly agonising but you wanna get away from it ASAP.

From there most of the crowd ran away but a few idiots decided to attack the cops, needless to say they got the crap beaten out of them, I saw a man get kicked and hit with a baton repeatedly while on the ground.

right now the Army have blocked all the roads out of the area the protest is in and are slowly pushing them all into a stadium (ironically this is where they wanted to meet anyway).

This isnt going to go well, I in a net cafe now but am going back outside to see what else is happening, there are lots of cameras around so Ill get some footage and upload soon




posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Stay safe and I appreciate the update on what is happening there, but truly think of your safety first and foremost for all of us here.



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Be safe and upload when you can.
Remember safety first.



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Like they said, safety first man.

Throw the tear gas canisters back.



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
stay safe. here is the LINK for the news report.
edit on 9-7-2011 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)


+28 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
That sounds epic. You should come back with water balloons filled with syrup, throw them at the cops, and get them all sticky. That'll show 'em, everybody hates being sticky.
edit on 9-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I found this on twitter.




man with no feet marches


photo



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hey man, thank you for your work.
Is this expected to get worse?
Are you going to join in?

This is exactly why I value ATS more than my T.V.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff
 


I know from spending a lot of time there that most of the police/army are muslim/malay because the Chinese refuse the jobs because the pay is lousy..

So best think to do is throw pork chops at them if they get too close.


On a serious note, stay safe..
My boss was there through the 60's riots and many were hurt or killed..


+2 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
OK I just found another net cafe open, The whole city has shut down!!!!!

When I came to type this before I got stuck behind police lines and wasnt able to rejoin the main body of the protest. So far things havent escalated any further but you can feel the tension.

Police have dispersed most of the crowd into smaller and smaller groups that are now scattered across a wide area, police are trying to keep them from reforming and are so far succeeding.

Most of the protesters have come from outside of KL and have travelled hrs to be here so they wont be leaving anytime soon.

its kinda weird, as a white guy no one has bothered me, people have been coming up saying thank you for being here, when I was gassed all the locals came over with water to wash my eyes and salt to put under my tongue (actually helps for some reason) but the cops just ignored me. I was standing 2 feet away when they were bashing some guys head in and they didnt even look at me.

I was walking around with an english guy who had a cam so got some footage and will upload when we manage to get back to the hotel.

thanks for all your concernsabout my safety

P.s as a side note this is not a racial issue, malaysia has 3 races Chinese, Malay and Indian and all are protesting together. the media is trying to say this is somehow racial but its not.
edit on 9-7-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)


+7 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Appears initial reports of 300 000 were exaggerated but the total was way more than the 20 000 being reported.

There were 3 main groups that had intended to meet up but were prevented from doing so.
Also all major roads into the city were blocked and many busses that were carrying protesters were stopped on the highways and prevented from entering the capital.

Have manged to upload a short clip to YT, when I can find somewhere open with better net access will upload some more. Got a great posed photo with me and some riot police after I got caught behind them.




posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff
 


Thank you for sharing with us the info and the footage.
Was that you talking on the end of clip (I am guessing so). What are the locals saying about this all and what are they saying are the real motives behind these protests?



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana
 


Hey mate,

No that was an english guy I ended up walking around with who had a cam, He got a bit scared and took off. In that footage Im actually about 30 mtrs down the road in amongst it!!

Intense experience dude, never experienced anything like it.

Locals from KL were all scared, it was interesting how the all towed the official line of " this is bad for our country, foreigners will think its unsafe" refering to the protesters not the police.

Ill have pics and footage of me up soon



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
From there most of the crowd ran away but a few idiots decided to attack the cops, needless to say they got the crap beaten out of them, I saw a man get kicked and hit with a baton repeatedly while on the ground.


Why are they idiots? You just said some fascist police unit openly attacked peaceful protesters. They have EVERY RIGHT to defend themselves from a mob of crazed lunatics (Malaysian police).

From what you said they have every right to beat up the police, any way



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
OK I just found another net cafe open, The whole city has shut down!!!!!

When I came to type this before I got stuck behind police lines and wasnt able to rejoin the main body of the protest. So far things havent escalated any further but you can feel the tension.

Police have dispersed most of the crowd into smaller and smaller groups that are now scattered across a wide area, police are trying to keep them from reforming and are so far succeeding.

Most of the protesters have come from outside of KL and have travelled hrs to be here so they wont be leaving anytime soon.

its kinda weird, as a white guy no one has bothered me, people have been coming up saying thank you for being here, when I was gassed all the locals came over with water to wash my eyes and salt to put under my tongue (actually helps for some reason) but the cops just ignored me. I was standing 2 feet away when they were bashing some guys head in and they didnt even look at me.

I was walking around with an english guy who had a cam so got some footage and will upload when we manage to get back to the hotel.

thanks for all your concernsabout my safety

P.s as a side note this is not a racial issue, malaysia has 3 races Chinese, Malay and Indian and all are protesting together. the media is trying to say this is somehow racial but its not.
edit on 9-7-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)


The government and media did that in England to drum up tension for the war against Iraq I remember. They started reporting gang warfare as race riots and purposely incited actual race riots by making the racists think there was a race war when there wasn't



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff
 


Although I am glad to have a first hand report of such an event....please be careful...I really enjoy your input on ATS..and I would miss you. Stay safe.



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
How long before this comes to the US? At some point it seems we too could have our own revolution. If you were in Kuala Lampor would you join in and protest? I think we are living in interesting times indeed.

Stay safe. and don't breath too much teargas.



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff
 


Dude! ATS members like yourself, do for free what members of the mainstream media cannot, report the news~!

S&F

Thanks for the post



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101
How long before this comes to the US? At some point it seems we too could have our own revolution. If you were in Kuala Lampor would you join in and protest? I think we are living in interesting times indeed.

Stay safe. and don't breath too much teargas.

when the unrest hits the USA myself and all of my friends will also be among the crowds, down with facisim!!!



posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
All the MSM is talking about Miss Betty...sorry





new topics
top topics
 
89
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join