It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Survive When You Move All the Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I have read on ATS and elsewhere a lot of good survival strategies for when all the SHTF or even if small amount of SHTF. I have read a lot of nonsense too. There is one facet of the discussion I have not heard about. What happens when you move all the time? I am in the Military and change locations quite frequently. According to Survival lore, this negates some of most important concepts.

1. Develop a close network of like minded individuals. There is strength in numbers.
No can do. Not only am I moving all the time, my neighbors are too.

2. Prepare your home this way or the other.
Nope. I rent, I live on post, or even if I buy, I will not be there for long.

3. Get this or that essential survival need. The list of this or that never ends.
How am I supposed to move all this stuff?

4. Establish food growing independence.
I agree it is a great idea but my neighbors may not dig the chickens running around the backyard, not to mention the landlord.

5. When it gets bad, have a plan in place to sit it out or GOOD.
If it gets bad, as a Soldier, I will not be here. My job is in the excrement stream. My family and my group of like minded individuals are on their own.

This is to name just few. There are a 1000 others particulars which do not fit the dogma. Sure I could have a place for my family to retreat to but where would it be? This year I am on the west coast. Next year I am on the east Coast. Last year I was in Iraq/Afghanistan/etc. Oh, and by the way, hee hee, as a Soldier I do not make a pile of money to purchase kick ass off the grid acreage in Idaho or rural Mississippi or Costa Rica.

I offer this to all the experts out there: what would you do? Seriously, which tenants of current survival wisdom lend to long term success in these circumstances?

***Quite frankly I am tired of arguments over which rifle is better when the apocalypse happens or if gold is a better investment than silver. That stuff is so deep in the minutia, it offers little on a practical level.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Basically, you are screwed. You are part of the S that will be HTF if and when it happens. If you get out of the military before TSHTF, well, I'll tell ya my plan:

I have a big sailboat. I already live on it. I move whenever I feel like it. If a SHTF scenario comes about, I won't have to worry about a group of like minded individuals, my problem will be deciding who to take and who to leave, cause everyone will want to come with me. You know, all those people that tell me I'm crazy now, they will be begging me to save them. But the boat is only so big......

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Basically, you are screwed. You are part of the S that will be HTF if and when it happens. If you get out of the military before TSHTF, well, I'll tell ya my plan:

I have a big sailboat. I already live on it. I move whenever I feel like it. If a SHTF scenario comes about, I won't have to worry about a group of like minded individuals, my problem will be deciding who to take and who to leave, cause everyone will want to come with me. You know, all those people that tell me I'm crazy now, they will be begging me to save them. But the boat is only so big......

Unless of course your boat gets capsized by the big tsunami right after shtf...

Depending on the exact circumstances surrounding the the shtf scenarios..nobody can say they are really safe.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You will be where the worst of the worst is .
Military will try to restore order
You will be ordered to conficate food and distribute it to the starving and the fight will be on .
Where will the be ? HERE ! Wars will be forgotten The fight will be between those prepaired and the starving..Which side will you take ?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Sail boat, eh?

Sounds like it could work. If it is big enough you could survive on it at sea. You could come to shore to scrounge when needed. Watch out for Pirates.

Thanks for the motivation bump

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Well, I have spent time among the starving throughout the world. I can tell you that I, maybe not you, felt I needed to help them. I may have not always had the means to do so but the feeling is always there. If I am not surviving to better my situation and those around me, then what am I surviving for?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
reply to post by granpabobby

Well, I have spent time among the starving throughout the world. I can tell you that I, maybe not you, felt I needed to help them. I may have not always had the means to do so but the feeling is always there. If I am not surviving to better my situation and those around me, then what am I surviving for?

Give ya a star for that statement
I will help where I can but I have the feeling that the police and the army will be conficating food from those that have to give to the have nots whether they want to contribute or not !

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Your a soldier which means you are surrounded by allot of people trained to survive. You may have to go out and do things you do not enjoy but at the cost of keeping your family safe. Everyone tries to say its your side my side type of thing. The truth is you have to do what you have to do to keep your family safe. So if you move then at least within the USA make sure your family moves with you. If they don't then get them prepared. And everytime you are assigned to a different base make a plan to get back to them. But if they are with you then you have an army already around you. Reading to gain more knowledge and keeping seeds can be helpful.

Therian

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
how about just a backpack full of some very basic stuff.
small camo tarp
matches/tinder
3 days worth of important med
20dollar survial knive
maybe a couple survival 8oz. watter pouches

something that small is easy to keep on you in your travels and it can go a long way when your desprate. stay safe -jplaysguitar

edit on 8-7-2011 by jplaysguitar because: spl

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I share your same concerns.
Although they are not as frequent as yours, I move every 2-3 years rental to rental due to work or $$$.
In most places I have rented in they don't allow you to have pets or even modify the garden! Otherwise, I'd be on semi self-sufficiency (heirloom seeds, establishing fruit trees, chickens for eggs ect) like there was no tomorrow!
And unfortunately I don't have and make enough $$$ to buy acreage.

This has got me thinking and now I am set off to research what I can do!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

I too plan to leave by sailboat however nobody but my wife and I know this plan.

Curious what type of vessel and how far out your heading.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

I too plan to leave by sailboat however nobody but my wife and I know this plan.

And now all of us!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by setsukijonin

Dang!!

Well I need a new plan then

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
My plan is in three phases.

1. Entrenched, with everything. The bulk of the items have blue tape. Those never leave.

2. Alert to go mobile. Recognizing that the car only holds so much, and realizing what must be left behind early. car items have yellow tape.

3. Leaving the car behind, it carries my Mt bike and cargo trailer, INCB bag, mobile food and supplies, all of these items have red tape.

All of the items with green tape are duplicates and additional rations. Those are in buried bucket caches radiating out along two different directions/paths. I only stand to lose 50% based on biking distance, the buckets will still get the trailer heaped over in lightweight freeze dried meals.

But there is only me and a tiny dog. Families are screwed.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

You of all people will be better off than most...If your on a military base, you have everything you need there for you.
I was in for many, many years. and if the base was closed down for security reasons, well...lets just say it pays to live on base.
If your serving and your family is back in the states on a base, they will be looked after by the other women on base and /or the military...you know that...look at all the organisations out there on base for the wives of deployed military members.
There are stock piles of ammo and many building full of food on base...the government isn't stupid, they know that they need to keep the families safe.
We would do about anything, go anywhere, and as long as our family was safe, all was good....if a day comes where that isn't the case...then they better watch out.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As noted, you are already IN THE MILITARY, which has a nice cache of weapons and ammunition. The base stocks plenty of rations to sustain its population in case of an emergency.

I don't recall if you said that you have dependent family members with you or not.

There are plenty of on-base spouse-support organizations. You need to encourage your spouse to become active in these (the same goes for any dependent children you may have). This will create the community of mutual support mentioned in other discussions in the event of a SHTF scenario. That means your family will be taken care of if you have to be out patrolling the perimeter, or on duty further down-range. I you are stationed outside the continental US with your family, you should already have been briefed on preparing your family for evacuation if the need arises (documentation and supplies to take if they need to get out and get back to the US).

You should already have been trained in survival skills, like how to evade and survive in hostile conditions, and you should have been issued all the equipment you need to enable such survival in your region (or wherever you're being sent). There should even have been training on things like how to make shelters, start fires, and find food, as well as orienteering and signaling.

If something bad happens, you are already in position to be part of the solution, in terms of search and rescue and maintaining order as well as defending the region.

I wouldn't worry so much if I were in your situation.

top topics

join