It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking!! Lone man explains to WFTV News just why he loves the Orlando Police Department.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Common sense is the best form of judgement. Sadly a lot of people don't have it.

But that's the thing. How do you define, legaly, 'common sense'? How do you legislate it? Because that's how our legal system works. IF you want a police officer to be selective in his enforcement of the law, where do you draw the line? A cops job is not interpretation of the law, its enforcement. If you give cops the duty of interpretation, as well as enforcement, you are giving them even more power.

I agree with his overall point, for sure. But i think he really falters with that specific detail. Cops SHOULD NOT interpret the law. That leads to arbitrary enforcement.
edit on 9-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

If cops would do their job the right way then common sense enforcement would work perfectly.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If cops would do their job the right way then common sense enforcement would work perfectly.

What do you mean by 'the right way'?

Do you not see the slippery slope?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Well what I mean is that if a cop had the best interest of the people in mind then I think a common sense idea wouldnt hurt anyone.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Well what I mean is that if a cop had the best interest of the people in mind then I think a common sense idea wouldnt hurt anyone.

A cop's job is to enforce the law as written, not to interpret the law based on his or her arbitrary opinion of what is in someone's 'best interest'.

If you want police that interpret the law, you should seek to change the law.

The problem with this particular Orlando ordinance was not the police enforcing it, but the council who wrote it in the first place. Why are people not giving as much attention to who WROTE the law in the first place?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

In the end who is more evil. The person who tried to have someone murdered by hiring a hitman or the person who actually committed the murder (i.e the hitman)?

Both are bad but the hitman actually did it.

I'm not sure if that made sense but I'm trying to give a similar example that relates.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

In the end who is more evil. The person who tried to have someone murdered by hiring a hitman or the person who actually committed the murder (i.e the hitman)?

Both are bad but the hitman actually did it.

I'm not sure if that made sense but I'm trying to give a similar example that relates.

We aren't talking about murders, or hit men, though. We are talking about police enforcing the law. It is the police's duty to enforce the law as written. If there is an 'immoral' law on the books, then it is up tot he citizens to petition the government to change that law. By pushing for the cops to interpret what laws they want to enforce, you are encouraging a system where police can legally selectively enforce laws. That is a slippery, slippery slope.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Should not the cops be smart enough to NOT enforce a ridiculous law such as this? They are citizens also, they have a right to NOT do something as stupid as this, don't they?

Or is that too much common sense? Maybe I'm too dense but this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Like the dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, what a stupid law. Now we have cops arresting peeps because of dancing and giving out free food, this is what we pay them for?

What was it Nancy used to say, Just say NO? Bollocks to the law, it's insane and the cops should be smart enough to say no and not enforce it, orders or not.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

Should not the cops be smart enough to NOT enforce a ridiculous law such as this? They are citizens also, they have a right to NOT do something as stupid as this, don't they?

Or is that too much common sense? Maybe I'm too dense but this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Like the dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, what a stupid law. Now we have cops arresting peeps because of dancing and giving out free food, this is what we pay them for?

What was it Nancy used to say, Just say NO? Bollocks to the law, it's insane and the cops should be smart enough to say no and not enforce it, orders or not.

It's an understandable position, to be sure. I'm just hoping you understand the long-term implications inherent in changing the job of the police from law ENFORCEMENT to interpretation of the law.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Thank God we have this guy defending our Orlando police department

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Does this fit in this forum? I'm always unsure where to put cop videos. We need a forum dedicated to it...but I think it is still Politically related...and funny.

At least it gave me a chuckle. Hope you enjoy ATS.
edit on 7/8/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

HAHAHA. This guy is my hero. It's 100% complete satire for those who didn't get the memo.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Good lord . ♥♥ This is obviously someone , who hasn't begun to think in shades of grey !

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This guy is hilarious! He has alot of good points too. "we have Orlando policeman that will blindly enforce the law no matter what the law is." Then about the bathroom thing that was epic! This guy is my hero.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beaux
reply to post by Phenomium

Phenomium, you do realize that this guy was being sarcastic by taking the extreme? I agree with what you say and I believe he would also. He is saying the same thing you are only through the use of satire. And he's quite brilliant at it.

You call this guy brilliant - sorry but he must be the dumbest guy in the US.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Excellent video!
That was just too funny, the fact that the newsman seemed to be as serious as he is scares me a little though. I think he actually did crack when he asked his name and the response was that he wanted to remain Anonymous.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rcanem

I liked it when the defender of the cops said if they found out who posted those pictures online they should executed without trial!!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Apparently, the City of Orlando has decided to meet with the leaders of FNB, to try and work out the issue that led to this clever fella's protest...The story is here...

www.wesh.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
lol! OMG!!
whatever SMALL pharma company created the "sarcasti-pill"... I wanna know, so i can invest!

this hopefully made the news!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
This is funny very funny I feel the same way as this man does in respect to the blinders on the cops they just run around like robots rounding up all the crooks and generating that revenue spiking that crime rate so they get those new cruisers from the feds so they can generate some more revenue and starve the homeless in orlando in my city it is just about the crime rate manipulation and of course, the money.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Comedy is important. Especially satire that really says important stuff about society. In medieval times the jester could be the only one who could tell the truth to the king without fearing execution. I suspect the jesters will always be needed, they do important work.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join