It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin: Two Excellent Articles That Talk Sense!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
G'Day ATS,

I stumbled across these two articles today, apologies if they've been posted but I think that together they are important. I believe the credibility of conspiracy theory itself is on the line here. There is far too much scaremongering, ignorance and plain stupidity going around. Anyone can make a tenuous link between this comet and codes, conspiracies, ELE's and goodness knows what else. Time to wake up and smell the BS folk.

10 Facts You Need to Know About Comet Elenin

Here are the facts about this anticipated and feared visitor from deep space.

1. Elenin is the name of the comet, not an acronym of anything (Extinction Level Event 9?) Traditionally comets are named for their discoverers.
- FOLLOW LINK ABOVE FOR THE ARGUMENTS

2. Elenin is a comet, a small and icy Solar System body. It is not a rogue planet or brown dwarf star (if it was it would be visible to the naked eye right now).

3. .....its orbital motion is completely typical for such a comet, it is in no way anomalous as claimed in some parts of the internet. Astronomers are not baffled by it.

4. The comet’s nucleus is a lump of rock and ice estimated to be about 3-4 km across, this is quite small by comet standards. Elenin’s coma is already about 100 000 km across, this sounds enormous but is not particularly large by comet standards.
- READ MORE AT THE LINK ABOVE

5. Comet Elenin will make its closest approach to the Sun on 10 September 2011 at a distance of 0.48 AU (an AU is an astronomical unit, equal to the average distance the Earth is from the Sun). It will not collide (as claimed by some internet sources) with the Earth, nor pass between the Earth and Moon.
- READ MORE AT THE LINK ABOVE

6. Dear Reader, your gravitational influence on the Earth as you sit reading these words is greater than Comet Elenin’s will be at its strongest!
- ARGUMENTS AGAINST THE EFFECT OF ELENIN'S GRAVITY ON EARTH

7. ....comets (chunks of ice and rock, remember) do not have any magnetic field!
- LIKEWISE THE EFFECTS OF ELENIN'S "MAGNETISM"

8. Astronomers are not expecting much from Elenin. At its brightest, Comet Elenin will be a far from spectacular sight. It will be a dim object just on the edge of visibility to the unaided eye even in the darkest sky. Binoculars will show it as a faint milky smudge from late August to October.

9.Some claim that pictures of Comet Elenin are being ruthlessly suppressed by some government conspiracy but this is a lie. Astronomers, including amateurs, have photographed the comet. You can find a collection them at Seiichi Yoshida’s comet webpages.

10. Comet Elenin’s approach is not being covered up by the media or authorities. Articles on it have appeared in astronomy magazines and there has even been a press release from NASA. It has not been announced all over the BBC and CNN simply because it is just another small and dim comet like so many others (around a hundred comets were discovered in 2010, did any of them get any media coverage?)

Article number 2:

ASTROBLOG: From Super Moons to Comet Elenin – we will NOT get killer earthquakes from the sky

The same video claims that it is comet Elenin, rather than “supermoons” that caused the Chilean and Japanese earthquakes.

First off, let’s try thinking statistically. In the video much is made of the claim that within 5 days of the alleged closest approach of Elenin and the Earth there was a large earthquake. Now, in any given year there are 1319 quakes between magnitudes 5-5.9, 134 earthquakes of magnitude 6-6.9 (this includes the earthquake that demolished Christchurch) and 15 earthquakes of magnitude 7-7.9. So, choose any random date and within 5 days of that you will almost certainly, on average have a quake of magnitude 6-6.9 in that date range and a roughly 20% chance of having a larger magnitude quake in that time slice. Thus a simple “earthquake somewhere near a comet close approach” is not by itself convincing. You need some sort of physical plausibility.

And as for "Allignments"

Finally, the video claims that the “alignments” of Elenin and Earth and Sun were on February 27 2010 and March 11-15 2011. The “alignments” were apparently determined by eye from the JPL orbit widget (which explicitly says not to use the orbit widget for this purpose). Fortunately, there are programs that can analytically determine when the closest approach of the comet too Eath is (when the comet, Earth and Sun are aligned). I use SkyMap with the latest orbital elements. It turns out that the comet was aligned with Earth on 27 March 2010 (nowhere near the Chile Earthquake) and will only next be aligned in May 5 2011 (before closest approach on 16 October 2011, again, nowhere near the Japanese Earthquake). No alignment, no earthquake to explain.

Now please ATS, lets concentrate on actual conspiracies, not nonsense.

All the best, kiwifoot

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well thank you for singlehandedly clearing that up for all of us.
I am sure it will be the nail in the coffin for this particular conspiracy theory.

Now, on to the JFK assasination.
I look forward to your next thread.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Nice try, but fail. This won't convince anyone but the fluoride heads.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows

Nice try, but fail. This won't convince anyone but the fluoride heads.

Well I believe it and we will see who will have the last laugh mate.

It's a comet.

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I love how since this thread isn't espousing doom and gloom none of the Elenin believers are commenting at all. I just want to thank you for finding an article that proves once and for all that there is no connection between alignments and earthquakes. Let's just hope the deafening silence is due to the fact that the Elenin/doomsday believers realize that there is nothing left to defend.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Neptune is a planet. Yet It is not visible to the naked eye....

Therefore according to his own logic, Neptune isn't real.

FAIL !

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

His claim is not that if it were a planet/brown dwarf it would be visible to the naked eye. His claim is that if it were a planet/brown dwarf in the same position Elenin is currently in it would be visible. Elenin is currently passed the orbit of Mars. Theories regarding Nibiru/Planet X/etc. state that it will be at least as big a Jupiter. Jupiter is one of the brightest objects in the night sky. So, if a planet as big as Jupiter were closer than Jupiter it would be very apparent. Even Mars is readily apparent in the night sky and we're talking about a planet with an equatorial radius that is at least 11 times that of Mars. So, I think it's safe to say that if this object were not a comet it would be quite obvious by this point.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
NO1 NO You still dont get it! What it is is just a big disstraction this Elenin hype so we are looking the other way when Nibiru flys by and we wont see it.....
COINTELPRO

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I'll give this a bump, in an obviously futile effort to restore some kind of credibility to ATS.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
NO1 NO You still dont get it! What it is is just a big disstraction this Elenin hype so we are looking the other way when Nibiru flys by and we wont see it.....
COINTELPRO

lol, made me laugh.

I would have to laugh twice as hard if you were serious.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

It would have been more convincing if you could have had at least one independent thought, fact or insight of your own instead of borrowing old arguments with more holes in them than swiss cheese. And those trying to bully, scare, insult or drive people away from these topics... always attack others verbally because they lack the facts or logical arguments to discuss them.

I'll take you on for one reason... I don't know if Elenin is real or not. This much I do know... it's NOT a normal comet... or is a normal one... but with a big dwarf traveling partner that's too cold to see without infra-red. If you check the NASA small objects browser and compare Elenin to a comparable comet... NASA is watching Elenin 10x+ more closely (based on their own counter) than other comets... why? If it's a little putzy comet, why so much attention?

Personally, I hope it's all nothing. Most likely, it's a distraction to steer us from the real cause. Say what you want but the weather & seismic activity have really SUPER-SIZED themselves in the last 18 months. That's a fact...
So, unlike you, I am keeping an open mind, challenging all claims, debunking nonsense and serious considering key arguments I've heard... and encourage others to do. Except in your case, you sound like you know it all already... so, why bother insulting others? Is that really the extent of your persuasive skills? PATHETIC... FAIL.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Str8Talker

It's a real comet. There are plenty of pictures to substantiate this. Also, NASA does not make observations on the comet. The observations are done by professional and amateur astronomers alike and their data is sent to NASA so they can update the orbital characteristics. The reason why there have been so many observations is because people are trying to dispel the crazy rumors surrounding the comet, including Leonid Elenin who has done a fair number of observations himself. Also, a brown dwarf would be highly visible and its temperature would have nothing to do with its visibility. It's all about an object's composition that determines it's reflectivity. Despite how cold it is Pluto is actually very reflective due to being made up of frozen methane. A brown dwarf would be made up of the same gases that make up Jupiter, which is one of the most visible objects in the night sky. Therefore, a brown dwarf within the orbit of Mars would be very apparent.

top topics

join