It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email from craigslist - is this a scam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I received this email from "Craigslist". Vedddy suspicious. I havn't clicked on the "Click Here" link yet.

Scam? Anyone else get this email?

My name is Jim Buckmaster, Chief executive officer of Craigslist. We have recently joined up with The apple company for a one-time promotional event today, we are giving away complimentary Apple iPad 2 to randomly selected people who have published an ad on C-list. You have been selected as one of our newest winners for today. We randomly select numbers to match up with ads on Cl and your ad matched with our latest drawing.

We now have partnered up with Apple inc to advertise their hottest product yet, the Apple iPad 2. Once again, we're running this campaign for one-day only. All you need to do is CLICK HERE to go to our site created for this promotion and key in your email to get yours for free. Simply be sure to enter your email therefore we may locate our records to ensure that we have reserved one for you. That is it!

Congrats on winning a free Apple iPad 2 (valued at $489). If you've any query or worries, feel free to email me back. However, you should claim your free iPad 2 first to make sure one will be set-aside for you personally before the deadline ends. We do understand that you may possibly not receive this e-mail until after the deadline, but, we advise you check out the website and enter your email to see if we still have got yours on hold, which we often-times do as a result others haven't claimed theirs in time.

Jim Buckmaster

CEO, C-list

edit on 8-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Add..here's the sender

Sent By:

"Jim Buckmaster" lynnettemoz at hotmail.com

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I have to believe its a scam. I cant see any reason CL would do this.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Obvious scam of some kind.
They also lie to you. You dont just "simply enter your email address", they also want your full name, address, phone number, date of birth, etc...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I would say hoax/spam/scam.......

The from email address should be the biggest tip off.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Definitely a scam. If it wasn't, the CEO has some very bad grammar...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
whenever "there is claim now quickly before promotion/deadline ends" i would be very skeptical...

funny how many times it mentions apple ipad 2 aswell.. looks like an advert more than a winning confirmation email..

and the biggest reason why i would be skeptical... no one gives these things away for free these days.. there is ALWAYS a catch...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate you clicking on the link... I'm very paranoid about crap like that.

I'll notify CL then dump it in the trash.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
its no scam i won 2 of them!! but i already have one i can send one to u for cheap if you like, i just need a confirmation of who u are if u can just send your credit card number and expiry date ill verify who you are or send money order to Iaam P. Gullable and ill get that straight to you.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Really?!?!?! a hotmail address?!?!?!? SCAM!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
I received this email from "Craigslist". Vedddy suspicious. I havn't clicked on the "Click Here" link yet.

Scam? Anyone else get this email?

My name is Jim Buckmaster, Chief executive officer of Craigslist. We have recently joined up with The apple company for a one-time promotional event today, we are giving away complimentary Apple iPad 2 to randomly selected people who have published an ad on C-list. You have been selected as one of our newest winners for today. We randomly select numbers to match up with ads on Cl and your ad matched with our latest drawing.

We now have partnered up with Apple inc to advertise their hottest product yet, the Apple iPad 2. Once again, we're running this campaign for one-day only. All you need to do is CLICK HERE to go to our site created for this promotion and key in your email to get yours for free. Simply be sure to enter your email therefore we may locate our records to ensure that we have reserved one for you. That is it!

Congrats on winning a free Apple iPad 2 (valued at $489). If you've any query or worries, feel free to email me back. However, you should claim your free iPad 2 first to make sure one will be set-aside for you personally before the deadline ends. We do understand that you may possibly not receive this e-mail until after the deadline, but, we advise you check out the website and enter your email to see if we still have got yours on hold, which we often-times do as a result others haven't claimed theirs in time.

Jim Buckmaster

CEO, C-list

Scam.
1. "apple" is not capitalized
2. "promotional event today, we are giving" - grammar error
3. "giving away complimentary" - should be A complimentary
4. C-list instead of Craigslist
5. one-day
6. "as a result others haven't"

Numerous errors, and it's either a simple attempt at collecting email addresses or there will be a more complicated followup at trying to get more personal information from you.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yes, it's a scam that's been going around for over a year. Most iterations of the scam actually didn't get the CEO's name right, but apparently the scammer that sent you that message bothered to Google it and get the right name. Doesn't make it any less of a scam though. Google "craigslist ceo scam" and you'll see plenty of links about this.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I was giving away some kittens on Craigslsit a couple of weeks ago and I got an email

Still available? I want to find out a few things about your Free Female Kitten (LOCATION) will call you if you send me your number thanks

containing these three email address
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Well the @in.com should have gave it away, ( ALWAYS READ THE HEADERS ), I gave out my number, but did not receive any calls, got another email trying to direct my to a website, but did not click or respond.

Second Email

I want to trade with you and the rest I'll pay with cash on the spot.Have a look at what I have:view-item-craigs-post-49746357466.onlinewebshop.net... Let me know what you think. thanks

I ran a port scan and the IP address was coming from Germany.

I would try an report it but not sure what good it would do.
edit on 16-7-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join