It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Container Truck Spewing Gamma Rays Into Traffic on I-270 in Saint Louis, Missouri

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I just called the phone number on the truck.

The lady told me they haul "Medical Waste".

She told me she has already received some calls.

"Medical Waste" with gamma radiation. sounds about right

Why aren't they using one of those sealed cylinder like trucks that can contain the radiation ?

Instead they use a regular old truck that could be hauling plain old boxes.

no way to seal off radioactive material.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My honest thoughts on the truck with radioactive plates on the trailer is it was probably carrying Medical equipment or some other kind of testing equipment. But i could be wrong, with all the crazy things going on in the nuclear world right now who knows. I remember a number of trucks in the past 30 years that had radioactive plates on them, talked to one driver at a truck stop and he said it was medical equipment. Also remember seeing another dry van trailer behind a KW going down I-94, there wasn't a vehicle in sight near him. nearest car was over a 1/4 mile from him both ahead and behind him. I jumped onto 27.185 Mhz (channel 19 on CB). didn't get an answer from him. Ive noticed a lot of trucks these days running with radios off or none at all.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Originally posted by camaro68ss

I just called the phone number on the truck.

The lady told me they haul "Medical Waste".

She told me she has already received some calls.

"Medical Waste" with gamma radiation. sounds about right

Why aren't they using one of those sealed cylinder like trucks that can contain the radiation ?

Instead they use a regular old truck that could be hauling plain old boxes.

no way to seal off radioactive material.

IDK, i seen them on trains before. those things can servive a Kat 5 storm.

But we save more money shipping them in big rigs on public roads in 55 gal drums.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The lady also told me they haul other things as well.

I ask her if they rented or leased their trucks...She said "No".

The lady ask me if she should alert the owner. That everyone was gone.

I told her "If I owned the company, I would want to know".

The "Company" may be a victim here as well.

If was I driving that truck...I would already have a lawyer.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Radiation isn't just like water vapor and disapears .

It has a half life.

No. Radiation doesn't have a half-life. The emitter of the radiation has a half-life. Gamma rays are gone once they're emitted, like light from a candle.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The lady also told me they haul other things as well.

I ask her if they rented or leased their trucks...She said "No".

The lady ask me if she should alert the owner. That everyone was gone.

I told her "If I owned the company, I would want to know".

The "Company" may be a victim here as well.

If was I driving that truck...I would already have a lawyer.

*bleep* yeah! i can see how you can get a load of radioactive material on a truck. Im in shipping and 95% of the driver wont check what he/she is hauling. I can see it happening and him not knowing.

edit on 8-7-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Seems sort of badly shielded, but at any rate, 0.3mr/hr you could be around 24/7 and still not exceed the EPA limit for occupational exposure to gamma rays.

You're getting about 0.25 mr/hr on plane trips over 30,000 feet.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I travel that road often and live in the area.
I wonder where he was going?
270 isn't exactly a major trucking route.

This absolutely should go viral.

This is exactly where the internet shines and the MSM epicly FAILS!!!!
Information like this should not have to be dug for though.

This is the type of thing that should smack you in the
face when you sit down with your morning cup of coffee.

I shall repost this elsewhere.

Greetings:

Oh my, such interest is such a tiny tidbit.

Yes, we agree that such information should go viral.

Sadly, when presented with a compendium of said info, most fade away.

Please take a look at the following threads and see if any of this information is worthy of that morning "smack in the face:"

America's Being Nuked - Can we Together Stop the Madness?

And this:

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

And this:

Is This the Beginning of the End of Nuclear Power in the U.S.?

Thank you for your time and consideration and we look forward to further communication.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I hope the "terrorists" are listening.
With crap like this going on, they'll be out of buisness soon.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
funny little something here, I tried to post the link provided by the op on my Facebook, but it does not allow me to post it. It said something about abusive posts?

Really strange

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Take a look at this chart linked below, and you will realize how very little radiation that really is. This chart is in microsieverts and the counter they were using is in millirem.

1 millirem (mrem) = 10 microsievert (µSv)

Radiation Does Chart

The meter got up to about .3 something so on the chart that would be about 3 microsieverts.
edit on 8-7-2011 by bh325es because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

GAMMA RAYS, spewing into traffic! For those that dont know Gamma Rays are the most deadly of radiation! Who over looks the safety of trasportation of radioactive materials? This is an outrage!

Gamma rays are what turned Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

Hulk out-raged!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
If it's all the same to the parties involved...

I'll take my afternoon drive "Radiation FREE".

I am really not interested in OSHA standards.

Almost half the older folks I know have some kind of Cancer.

ADD: Email this video to your local network affiliates.
edit on 8-7-2011 by whyamIhere because: added comment.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
What a shame that a reasonable piece of kit like that is wasted on a bunch of idiots that don't have a clue what it means. I assume from their rather ridiculous reaction they have no idea that the unit they purchased is particularly sensitive? As several people have helpfully pointed out the radiation dose rate is actually very low, in fact going by the chart bh325es posted you would have to be next to the truck for nearly a week to get the same dose as you do from food ALONE in a year.
Another shining example of how dumb idiots with a little (and I mean very, very little) knowledge can generate un-necessary, uneducated fear.
Ooooh it clicks, I like 'worrying' some of my mates by showing them benign looking pieces of rock or metal and then holding some of my more sensitive geiger counters over them and looking at their faces as the instrument goes into a frenzy. Of course there is no threat and I quickly reassure them of that, but then I actually know what I'm talking about

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

If you want to have a radiation free life you'd better kill yourself, because you're even radioactive yourself due to the isotopes naturally in your body like Potassium 40. You realise that the planet's crust is full of various radioactive isotopes? In fact the heating cause by their decay into other isotopes helps keep our planet 'alive'. You realise that you are constantly being bombarded by cosmic rays? You realise that Beta particles are simply electrons? You realise that Alpha particles are Helium Nuclei? You realise that Gamma Rays and X-Rays are simply high energy photons? The processes that cause radiation in it's various forms are happening within us and around us all the time.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

I am not saying the world is "Radiation Free".

I just don't need any extra.

We can't all be a self-anointed genius.

So I'll pass on killing myself.

I will just completely take your word that it is safe.

He drove by the truck. He did not inspect the cargo.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I've spent most of my adult life in trucking and this story definitely got my attention. I am sure the driver did NOT know anything about the levels detectable from that distance, through walls I'm going to guess are reinforced. In doing some research, you saw a Associated Courier truck and they are based right there in the St Louis area. They are a dedicated trucking company for transportation of medical radioactive medicine and source material for things like the high dollar scanning equipment. So, given that this is all the company does as a full time thing, it's hard to believe they are knowingly loose about safety like this would suggest. Maybe something tipped over back there... who knows.. Thanks for the video! I've always wondered what, if anything, could be detected from those trucks as I drove mine next to them.
edit on 8-7-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I travel that road often and live in the area.
I wonder where he was going?
270 isn't exactly a major trucking route.

This absolutely should go viral.
This is exactly where the internet shines and the MSM epicly FAILS!!!!
Information like this should not have to be dug for though. This is the type of thing that should smack you in the
face when you sit down with your morning cup of coffee.
I shall repost this elsewhere.

Are you serious?? 270 is one of the 3 major interstates going through the area. I travel that road daily, it's a massive trucking route...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow i live less than 1 mile from that exit .I never thought they did things like that I assumed they would sheild loads like that with lead what a bunch of crap

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I hope you reported this to the EPA. What if it isn't ours? that would be very dangerous to a population for the driver to drive around till he dies.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join