It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything can be argued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It funny how we come up with truths in our lives only to find out that it can be argued. Even this topic can be argued, let alone the popular ones like god, reality, energy, etc.

Even if it is believed to be a solid fact doesn't mean it can't be argued.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Very true.. but they're not all winning arguments.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

That is precisely why this site is here and continues to flourish. Some things are not easily explained or agreed on for good reason. Maybe because there is simply not a "right or wrong" interpretation, or that there is no scientific evidence to prove definitively one theory (the subjective nature of truth, reality, philosophy, etc. makes it very difficult).

My advice...seek knowledge from others, consider perspectives...but ultimately a bit of healthy skepticism and arguing can be beneficial and enriching.

PS. My first reply was lost due to the technical difficulties experienced on ATS...so i'll apologize in advance for the 2nd time around not being as insightful.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
Even this topic can be argued...

No it can't.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Very true. Philosophy allows us to explore even the most basic of ideas from a range of perspectives and interpretations. While some things deserve to stay simple, at least this makes life more interesting.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
conflict is in our nature.
argument isn't always a bad thing as it sometimes leads to new truths but that is rare.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Long live Relativism

Peace

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Everything can be argued.

It does depend how we define everything though. If Everything means all existing arguments, then you may be right. If Everything means all possible arguments, then you may be wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
No it can't.

The moment I read your response, "No it can't" .... I immediately thought of a classic Monty Python sketch:

It clearly demonstrates, as others have already mentioned, that "everything" can be argued.

Keeping in mind that the apparent purpose of any argument is, ostensibly, to convince someone to alter or to altogether drop their own position in favor of another's, it's important to keep in mind that some arguments are simply un-winnable. Some people will simply not alter their positions -- right or wrong.

Ultimately, when reaching an impasse, it's important to be able to "agree to disagree" and to walk away. Of course, one could always simply continue arguing .....

top topics

join