It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the moon in sydney tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I know this is probably nothing unusual but has anyone seen the moon tonight? it is a half moon that looks perfectly cut horizontally. I have never seen this before.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by knackers323

Hi. I live in Melbourne. Just went out to look at the moon but it is too cold and grey and wet to see it :O(

Post a pic for us (Or someone will say it didn't happen) lol

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

Hi. I live in Melbourne. Just went out to look at the moon but it is too cold and grey and wet to see it :O(

Post a pic for us (Or someone will say it didn't happen) lol

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

as mentioned no picture it didn't happen, moon shmoon, what's the motto deny ignorance

edit on 8-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
oddly the moon looked exactly the same from england too...

im guessing my view was the upside down version!

either way, I can confirm he's telling the truth on this one!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Just went out in the freezing cold for a peek. It looks more like a third of the moon and a straight horizontal cut through it. Look again as it isn't a half moon. Don't think there is anything odd though. Should I go out in the cold to get a pic for you? Maybe not worth it but let me know.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by knackers323
I have never seen this before.

now i think about it, the only reason i remember is cause i was wondering where the sun must have been in 3dimensionalspace compared to the earth/moon for it to be a perfect half...

(if anyone knows?)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

I am in the south west of england and as beavers says I can also concur that the moon did indeed look unusually flat and half shaped this week.

When I saw it it was a bit misty and this added to the effect.

Probably a normal natural occurance imo.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
53% to be exact.

www.calculatorcat.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yes there are times during the year when the quarter moon will look like it has been sliced in half, no rounded edge.

While it was not sliced for me, last night, there are times when the quarter moon is perfectly so.

I noticed that in a movie I was watching that had been filmed in Australia, the moon was the wrong tilt for the time of day (well at least for what I am used to in California, and I'm quite familiar with moon phases) so I did a bit of research and you do indeed see the moon in a different way than we do.

It's amazing how different we see the moon and how it interacts with close-by objects like Venus. If you will look at photos from all over the world when the crescent moon and Venus are in conjuction, you will see that the images will differ quite a bit.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5fb6086627aa.jpg[/atsimg]

This was a waxing crescent at dawn with Venus and a bit of cloud.

edit on 7/8/2011 by czygyny because: terminology gaff

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

right outside my window as clear as day.......nothing weird as I've seen it like that before....along time ago

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
One of the unexpected strangeneses I encountered when I moved from London to Melbourne was that the moon was upside down here. I had not even thought about stuff like that before I left. Also, the sun and the moon go arround the wrong way. I keep expecting shadows to go one way, and they go the other! Talkes some getting used to! lol

I did see the moon the following night, and it certainly looked like a perfect 50% slice. Perfectly normal, I think.

top topics

join