It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answer to Recession: Houston Family of Eight Living in Self-Storage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Isn't it duty of parents to do the very best they can for their children? I guess I am wrong once again.

You can't put your children in self-storage: That's the message being given Prince and Charlomane Leonard by Texas's Child Protective Services.

The northeast Houston storage unit that the Leonards call home has 10,000 square feet—plenty of room for the parents and their six kids to roam around. It has air conditioning, beds, a bath tub, a microwave oven and two computers--among other amenities. But it lacks running water. And partly on that basis, CPS has taken custody of the couple's offspring.

Sounds like a much better home then I grew up in in south Dallas in the 60's and 70's to be honest

The Leonards believe they are guilty not of breaking a law, only of having fallen on hard times. "We have access to running water," insists the soft-spoken Charlomane. "We get it right here at the storage facility, in a five-gallon drum."

Horrible parents getting their water out of a drum

She and her husband have worked hard, she says, to transform the storage space into a home—one far safer, she says, than the crime- and rat-ridden apartment buildings and motels where the family had lived before. Safer, too, in her opinion, than a homeless shelter. The family had been living happily in storage until a CPS investigator, responding to a tip, discovered the Leonards' solution to weathering the recession and determined it to be bad for kids. Mrs. Leonard quotes the investigator as having said, "My supervisor isn't going to like this at all."

Destroying another family all for the "general welfare". IF YOU VOTE this is WHAT YOU VOTE FOR, and if you VOTE I hold YOU responsible 100%. This is disgusting treatment of people trying to do the best that they can. Just another example of you nosey people butting into peoples lives. GOD BLESS YOU
edit on 8-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
A terrible story and very very scary when you look at the way the economy is - I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more of this terribly sad plight.

God Help Us All.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

That would have been a cool story if it weren't for the intervention of CPS. Which by the way, has nothing to do with voting. If we were to vote someone like Ron Paul into office, and he accomplished his goals of downsizing or decommissioning organizations like CPS, then wouldn't voting be a good thing? The only other option we might have is rooftop voting, and I know I don't want to see things come to that. Really, I don't.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
reply to post by NuroSlam

That would have been a cool story if it weren't for the intervention of CPS. Which by the way, has nothing to do with voting. If we were to vote someone like Ron Paul into office, and he accomplished his goals of downsizing or decommissioning organizations like CPS, then wouldn't voting be a good thing? The only other option we might have is rooftop voting, and I know I don't want to see things come to that. Really, I don't.

It has everything to do with voting, voting is nothing more then the majority deciding how the rest will live. It was voting that led to CPS, it is voting that leads to "laws" that allow this nonsense to happen. I have no doubt that if Ron Paul were elected he would be dead within the year. If he ends up on the ballot in Az I will vote for the first time in 15 years, but nothing is going to change. I abhor violence in all but self defence, but even I am getting to the point where I grim when I hear about a dead cop, politician. or bureaucrat. The congress woman who was shot in the head is still in the media, but that 9 year old little girl who died isn't even thought about.

top topics

join