It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fan dies after fall during Texas Rangers' win over Oakland A's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Fan dies after fall during Texas Rangers' win over Oakland A's

www.mercurynews.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- All was quiet in the A's clubhouse Thursday night, but not because of a 6-0 loss to the Texas Rangers.
Players were visibly shaken after a fan sitting in the left-field bleachers died from injuries suffered in a 20-foot fall during the second inning at Rangers Ballpark.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-7-2011 by MentalPriapism because: "Arlington" came out as "rlington"

edit on 8-7-2011 by MentalPriapism because: rounded off uncompleted sentence in snippet

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Does anyone else feel that more should have been done to protect this man from falling to his death? He looked quite healthy, but he did fall like 15 feet head first. You can see the video clip in the article above.
I know most of us would think twice about jumping over a railing to catch a foul ball, but at a baseball game where it is almost guaranteed that there will be some boozed up fans, should there at least be signs warning of the drop waiting for the daring person who leans over the railing? Possible lawsuit coming, yes?

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
He knew the dangers when going for the ball, I'm sorry that he died in the process, but he died happy. That's what matters. He dreamed of catching a ball and he did. It was worth it to him. RIP
edit on 8-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
There was more than adequate protection to keep spectators from falling, this poor man fell due to his stupidity not lack of railing.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MentalPriapism

Sad story.
I cant believe the game still went on.

It just goes to show how much the almighty dollar means.

I feel too that the man is somewhat responsible for his own actions, and he did play apart in his own demise.
If you in the US were serious about safety you would have a nets all around the ground or at least bigger fence's near these danger hazards.

I too see a lawsuit coming on.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
i was going to post this article but people here dont really associate with sports...now that its been posted ive gotta say its pretty sad.i was watching the game live on my baseball package and the dude basically jumped to his death for a josh hamilton souvenir..It sucks because you never suspect your end to come in place of entertainment you know?Im sure lawsuits will be filed,but im also sure that the player who threw the ball(josh hamilton)will offer the family monetary compensation even though it wasnt his fault,nor is it his entitlement..

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
awful story. really hate to see this happen. attending a game of america's past time is looked forward to, enjoyed, and reminisced upon. this ruins the experience for everyone involved. awful, awful story. even the player involved who flipped the ball is, benefit of the doubt here, going to be wrought with guilt.

ugh, this just sucks, and i feel sorry for everyone involved.

still, you can't blame the organization or the ball park for the incident. it feels like simple chance. do you really need warned that a fall from heights greater than 10 feet could harm you? would you still lean over for that ball, having been warned? i would, and i'm willing to bet that 9 times of 10 i'd catch that ball and hand it to my young son, rather than fall to my death. i'm very sorry for the individual who did, and to his family, especially his young son who witnessed the whole thing. at the same time, my best friend fell 10 rows of bleacers and found himself with his back up against the left field wall at jacob's field in cleveland with only his pride hurt. these things are chance, and sometimes it just sucks.

my condolences.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
i just thought of this, but july 7th last year....

sports.espn.go.com...

i notice now in retrospect that it mentioned this in the article, but i'm in indians fan so i remember watching the game a year ago. my mind is blown. 1 year to the day.
edit on 8-7-2011 by redhawk724 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2011 by redhawk724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I think the announcers laughing about it certainly adds some salt to the wound. Even at 1:10 in the video one of the announcers realizes how serious it is and says "sheesh, you were right, maybe somebody did die, hahaha." I like a good laugh at Darwinism as much as the next guy, but that didn't really seem appropriate them to have said at such a serious time.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It is sad, and as a father to a young son myself, hearing that this dad was only concious long enough to ask for someone to go be with his son in the stands, just breaks my heart. Yes, he died doing something he loved, being at a baseball game with his son, and trying to catch a ball for him. Thankfully, the other fan next to this guy in the stands said that he couldn't see where/how he landed because it was too dark. I'm glad the son couldn't see that part.

top topics

join