It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michele Bachmann wants poor people to "have faith in God," then they won't need welfare.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The biggest welfare recipients in this country are politicians. After securing themselves tightly to the tax payer teat they then enrich themselves further by selling us out for corporate profit. What a racket.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
Nothing the republican/tea party does could surprise me anymore. Actions speak much louder than words ever could.

Ahhh yes. The "party of less government".

Unless you need an abortion.
Or you want to smoke a joint.
Oh, or you have sexual proclivities that they dislike.

In those cases we need lots of government in place to restrict those freedoms. And maybe if you just turn to Jesus you won't want for those freedoms anymore.

Blech

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by drew1749

We did not go on dependency programs. And I don’t begrudge anyone who does when I say that, but we didn’t do that.

From your OP.

She wants to promote personal responsibility and NOT entitlements?

The horror, the horror. . . .

Right. Babysitting will pay the mortgage.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

i think she just said, if your lazy and willing to take a hand out, these programs are easy to take advantage of. if your complaining about this, its currently the middle of the afternoon in america and your playing on the computer? if your that hungry, sell the computer! if you have never worked hard for something then you probably wont respect anything. i agree with what she said 1000%. i did without, and i learned never to be in that position again. today and everyday i thank god for delivering me from that slavery of minimum wage and 40 hours. i started to get out of the hole by working( 2 )40 hour a week jobs. if there are no jobs there are programs available to help. but if your not willing to work, then you will never make it out of the hole you are in.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
If she never took any handouts then why is she getting huge farm subsidies?
Can any of her supporters explain that to me? Where is my $200,000+ in government handouts so that I can run around talking about personal responsibility? That is more than enough money to rent a nice bus for a while.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by Kitilani

So I ask, as a serious discussion point, is it the Government's responsibility to provide welfare? Or is that left to community?

How can it be "left to the community?" You mean if government does not help, neighbors should be forced to? Or are you suggesting that they just will? Have you read this thread?

I noticed, through many of posts you play the devil's advocate position, but never offer your own. Can you, Kitilani, tell us what exactly would you do? Where do you stand? Is it the responsibility of Government to prop up the citizens or is it their individual responsibility, through their choices, to find a way?

It is the responsibility of the government to ensure our streets are not full of homeless people and that people are not dying in the street all around us for the sin of being poor. That is just not the US. As it is, crime is a burden. Unpaid medical bills are a burden. Dealing with the homeless is a burden. These are all things my tax dollars pay for now. If I have to choose between locking someone up and feeding someone, I will go with the latter thank you very much.

When Michele Bachmann starts giving back all the tax dollars she sucked up in the form of subsidies and grants, get back to me. She is a hypocrite of the worst order and apparently a liar.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Give them cake Michele "antoinette" Bachmann you idiot

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

what about batman? i hear he has alot of pull in gotham city! or harry potter? after 7 movies, he probably can work some real fancy magical politics huh?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This lady claims to be such a good Christian. Here is an example of what the bible says and she supposedly believes in.

“A camel will pass through the eye of a needle before a rich man enters heaven”

Here is more:

Prov. 28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.

Prov. 19:17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord--and he pays wonderful interest on your loan!

Prov. 21:13 He who shuts his ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in his own time of need.

According to the very bible this sanctimonious hypocrite believes in she is cursed and insulting God.

Of course I didn’t need these versus to know she is a dam fool, hypocrite, liar and bigoted nut.

And if there is a hell I am sure she will be there!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I know the OP is just quoting from an article, but the article itself (and therefore this thread) is completely misrepresenting what she actually said. If you read her quotes, nowhere in it does she say that having faith will get people off of welfare. All she said was that through hard work, family and neighbor support, and just doing without, her family was able to survive without government assistance. And she says her faith played a part in that. That's all. Well good for them, just because government assistance is available does not mean it should be the FIRST resort, what she is saying is that it should be the LAST resort and she is right on this point. Our nation is on the verge of bankruptcy because of runaway spending on military and social programs and it's time to reign it in. If people have options to survive via friends/ neighbors/ family/ community then they should pursue those options. Or we can continue down this road and go bankrupt, at which point there will be NO social programs left. NONE.

For the record I don't know hardly anything about this woman, so I'm certainly not a supporter of hers. I have "no dog in this fight" as we like to say in Texas. But I really hate seeing these ATS feeding frenzies based completely on bogus info.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal

Here is more:

Prov. 28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.

Prov. 19:17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord--and he pays wonderful interest on your loan!

Prov. 21:13 He who shuts his ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in his own time of need.

According to the very bible this sanctimonious hypocrite believes in she is cursed and insulting God.

I must be missing something here, can you please post her quotes in which she said to oppress the poor, to not help them, to ignore them and shut your ears to them? Because the quotes I'm reading are just her own personal anecdotes about how her family survived without government assistance, the only quote I can find about what she thinks of the poor is this one:

We did not go on dependency programs. And I don’t begrudge anyone who does when I say that, but we didn’t do that

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Is it the responsibility of Government to prop up the citizens or is it their individual responsibility, through their choices, to find a way?

It is the governments responsibility to provide a safety-net in times of crisis.

To ensure that citizens do not suffer the brutalities of nature in times of need. Starvation, disease, death by the elements.

Food, Shelter, Healthcare.

This is the very premise of civilization and you will find any tribe in the remotest regions of the world providing the same for it's members.

Individual responsibility co-exists with civilization.

You also might be shocked to know that economists agree that providing unemployment, food assisatance and healthcare to those in need actually makes the entire country more prosperous as it allows it's citizens to return to productivity rather than perish or spiral into poverty.

Money spent on unemployment and temporary welfare assistance is dollar for dollar the best stimulas dollars ever spent in return to GDP.

People lose jobs, get cancer, suffer natural disasters all through no "responsibility" of their own. We can let those citizens perish and suffer or we can offer them support and a chance to return to being contributors to our economy.

I can't believe that remote tribes understand the concept of a safety net while the greatest nation on earth debates it. Extremist idealogy makes morons out of people.
edit on 8-7-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749

BACHMANN: We went from middle class to overnight below poverty. And my mother had to leave the home and get a job…and I had to go out and get babysitting jobs…to help out. … We did not go on dependency programs. And I don’t begrudge anyone who does when I say that, but we didn’t do that. We had our faith in God, we depended on our neighbors, we depended on ourselves, and we just did without. We made do, we did without. [...] And we were just grateful for what we had. We knew that one day things would be better than they were. And God was faithful, and they were better.

thinkprogress.org...

The more I read about this lady the more I think she is evil. Not because of what she says here. Let me clarify it seems nice. But she is against welfare...and the fact is people need welfare.

People don't need to depend on welfare...but they do need it.

edit on 7/8/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

So it was her own hard work and her neighbors help, NOT GOD, that actually helped her out and she is using that as GOD looked out for her ?

Retarded. = slow

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen God dumping $100 bills from the sky yet. Of course, anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I don't see what the problem with what she said was. I'm not a fan of hers but she was stating how her family did it. She never said have faith in god then you won't need welfare.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
she is evil she voted for patriot ACT

Then that does make her evil insane and she should be hung (there I said it)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by northEASTukPIMPStheSYSTEM

Nailed it.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
One thing is for sure.

If the Bachmann family resided in the White House, the country would have two very interesting miracles at play.

1 would pray away the bills and the other would pray away the gayness that these barbarians are plaguing our nation with.

I have to say it. How the Hell can these people even be for real in 2011?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Sorry, Michele

Jesus is not a political solution

Nor should he ever be.
2nd line.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join