It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizen faces a Misdemeanor charge for growing Vegetables in Front Lawn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is my first actual post after so many years of lurking in this great site. I tried searching to see if this had already been posted, but here goes.

Julie Bass of Oak Park, MI was charged for a misdemeanor for planting vegetables in her front lawn. From the first link below, she stated that a good portion of her front lawn was ripped up by the city to replace a sewer line. Instead of putting down new sod grass, she decided that it would be more beneficial to try to become more self-sustaining by starting a vegetable garden for her family.

Source: The Agitator

However, the city did not take kindly to this, sending out their code enforcement goons and eventually slapping her with a misdemeanor charge for not abiding by their strict codes. Sorry, I know that the next link is a Fox local news link...

Local News Source

Julie Bass also seems to have a blog, writing all about her experiences in dealing with the city.

Blog: OakParkHatesVeggies

What gets me is that we, as an alternative community, would probably give her props for taking such an initiative with her own garden, but for some reason the local government would throw everything they legally can to bring her down. Most of the neighbors didn't really seem to mind her having it, and in fact some of the neighbors' kids went over on occasion to help out.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I would hate for that to happen here, I have a front yard full of yummyness!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
This is bullcrap.

Where's the freedom at here?
They take away people's rights to even feed themselves on their own land - instead you are supposed to supply 'the good city folk' with something boring and prescribed to look at. Grass. Pour as many chemicals on it as you want. We wanna see grass.

Yeah. I really hate people like this. Why do we elect bozos that makes stupid laws like this?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think the larger point that is being missed is that even if you "bought" your property or "own" your land... you do not own a damn thing.

You simply rent it from the government which then tells you what you may or may not do with THEIR land.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Shoot, it seems like another ATS member posted the same article, and now everyone is following that thread instead.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So much for my chance at contributing.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HunterKiller

Yours was clearly first, the other one should have been shut down. How do the people that run this site judge this stuff? The more time I spend here the more I think things are changing for the worse. Money from sponsers does strange things to people... just kidding... I hope.

I see here all the time when people start threads that are on topics already being discussed that people are redirected to the original thread. What's different about this one?

edit on 7/13/2011 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join