It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We all thought the chip implant was a bad idea...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Procrastinating monkeys were turned into workaholics using a gene treatment to block a key brain compound, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Blocking cells from receiving dopamine made the monkeys work harder at a task -- and they were better at it, too, the U.S. government researchers found.

Excerpt from:
www.wired.com...

Additional source:
www.pnas.org...

First they track all of your movements, now it would seem that humankind has found a way to possibly remove pleasure from completing work. Although I will admit that there are good uses for this too. It could, one day, remove the redundancy factor from Obsessive/Compulsive people, additionally a reverse process could help 'encourage' Depressive people to keep moving onward.

I sincerely hope this discovery will not be perverted by any NWO system that could crop up... Would there be any other advantages/disadvantages to having this procedure done on a person in the near future?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Isnt dopamine the pleasure chemical in the brain? If it is I wouldnt want that chip blocking my dopamine even if I did work better.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Another use that came to mind this morning for the dopamine inhibitor would be to force discipline in soldiers to increase their effectiveness as infantry. I know that sounds a bit scary, but also consider that it would prevent those few from enjoying the killing of the enemy also. To them it would become a job of get in, do what's needed, and get out, as it should be. Any other ideas anyone?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok I can see what you mean, you can see the positive applications for this technology, however with this kind of technology, it would eventually lead to the world becoming a kinda Big Brother socity. I guess its the usual thing with technology, ever piece can be used for good or bad.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I can see the positive applications of this kind of technology, however as always, in the wrong hands, with more controlling or malicious intent, this could be used as a means of control. More ways of taking away our personal freedoms, and our free will.

top topics

join