It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Bob" Hijacked my thread "Fairy Wind" - a possible human explanation for a humanoid creature suc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Since everybody now is apparently only interested in trashing the Bob thread(s), I am trying to make a thread for those who might have found the "humanoid" topic interesting and worth further discussion in regards to what that might encompass. If you are one of those please read on...

I have been following the "Bob" threads/story and I didn't get a chance to reply to either one before it was closed, however, they made me think of this personal account, from the book "Dark Faries" by the author Bob Curran, Chapter 2, "The Host of the Air". On my Nook, this starts on page 48.

The reason I made a (possible) connection was from people's questions of whether Andrew's grandfather might have known or in some way taken care of the creature and that is why it keeps coming around, not understanding the grandfather's having passed away.

Here is the author's personal story, which he relates immediately following a brief relating of one of the legends of the Tylwyth Teg:

Although the tale is set in Wales, similar stories exist in many other places, such as Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall, and even in North Carolina and the Middle East. At the core of such stories is an explanation for the unpredictability of nature and perhaps unusual familiar circumstances as well. For example, as a small boy I was both frightened and fascinated by a bizarre, weak minded girl who lived not far from our house along with two old bachelor brothers. Her story matched the previous story - she had fallen as a baby from a "fairy wind," which had passed over the house and into a nearby earthen fort when one of the brothers had mentioned the Holy Name. Again, not knowing where she had come from the brothers raised her as their own, and because she had been "gathered up" by the fairies, her mental faculties had been compromised, and she was regarded as being "not right." She was slow and backward in her ways, never attended school, and walked about the roads talking to herself and making strange noises. Her condition was considered to be a sure sign of fairy intervention - "the touch of the fairy." The story concerning her, as I learned much later, covered up some difficult and illegal family circumstances.

When I was old enough to understand I was told that there was once a sister living with the two brothers - she was now in a mental home somewhere - and the girl was hers. The father had been one of her brothers. Living away in such a remote area - their cottage lay at the end of a long lane that led through a bog - and seeing very few other people, relationships had become very heated and intense. Incest had reared its head, and this at the time could not have been talked about - it was a ghastly and shameful sin in our community, after all, and the brothers were fairly respectable men. Therefore, the story about the fairies and the "fairy wind" served as a ready explanation for the girl's existence. It also drew its authority from local tradition and folklore. On the edge of the bog, close to the cottage, stood the earthen walls of a fairy fort (probably some ancient Celtic fort from a previous time) and it was said that the fairies came and went from it invisibly in a swarm at all times of the day and night. They were like flocks of birds rising from and landing in the center of the earthworks. According to the brothers, their comings and goings were "a torment," and who knew what they might be carrying? The old men had found bags of lime, dead animals, cooking implements, and other assorted paraphernalia (even an old chest of drawers at one time), which had been stolen and later dropped along the edges of the bog by the flying host. However, they were much too afraid to go up to the old fort and do anything about this. They simply tolerated their fairy neighbors.

The girl continued to live with the brothers for some years, and in that time she wandered in the bog, calling strangely in what the brothers said was "the fairy tongue." She was only removed when one of the old men killed himself and the other was blinded by drinking "bad poteen" (illegal spirits), and the girl, left behind, was taken into care. However, the story that she had been taken by the fairies and deposited with the two old men was still persistent in the countryside for many years afterward. The earthen fort from which they supposedly arose each night was still avoided by local people.

I heard Dr. Bob Curran interviewed on a Podcast that I like to listen to, recently (Mods, am I allowed to give the name of the Podcast?) and he was quite interesting and entertaining - he has written a number of books on supernatural creatures. The similarities struck me, such as the remote location in an area with historical ties to the subject of fairies, along with an unexplained, creepy, but humanoid creature wandering around showing interest in human dwelling places. I thought people might be interested in this personal account that ties nicely into the story, in my opinion.

Any spelling mistakes are mine. I transcribed the story as I don't know any way to cut and paste from my Nook books.

I hope this won't get taken down, since I'm in no way associated with the OP on the Bob threads (although I wish the guy luck if he is for real). I just thought it was an interesting topic on its own, and since this is the cryptozoology thread and we're looking at possibilities for a strange unexplained creature... Have at it, folks.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I see the author's name is Bob...

coincidence...? I think not people

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Sorce
There people born with this defect i suspect Bob has just been kept in seclusion and has learned how to get out at night.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm almost sure that this bob thing is a handicapped person with intelligence issues.

Because his body is that of a normal person and he's too scared to go anywhere. If it was an animal of sorts, it would have been living off dead animals and would have learned to fend for itself. HENCE, it would not run for the hills when someone tried to follow him.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

(Regarding author's name) Oh man... I wish I was so clever as you are giving me credit for, but my post is actually legit and both the author and the book I quoted are real, so google away.

Sorry to spoil the fun, but I was serious. I don't think I am alone in the thought that such things can happen. People can be maltreated, and have mental issues, and be left mostly on their own. I think it happened more in the past, but I think it still happens, and remote locations are a more likely place for it to happen.

I've been a member for several years now, feel free to look up my history, too.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: To clarify my comment, since others threw it out of place and it was not clear where it was directed.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Edited again to clarify further that my post is not in jest.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AreaJerm

I agree. I also think it is in bad taste for almost an exact duplicate thread from the OP is on BTS and it is a thread with nothing but ridicule and mockery toward the OP. If people don't believe the OP, fine, but why is there a need to ridicule him and why is it allowed????

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I feel bad that my thread is getting buried. I spent some time on it and I thought I had a good point to make that backed up a couple of ideas that others expressed. Although I did appreciate the humor (yes, 'twas funny that the author I quoted was also named "Bob") I didn't intend this as a humorous thread.

I was hoping people would actually find the personal account from the author I quoted interesting and be able to relate it to the story we followed for the past day-and-a-half.
edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Spelling fix.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I have read many old newspaper articles about people seeing 'wild' men or women in the woods. Some articles seem to be clearly describing a sasquatch, but quite a few are describing humans. I think these humans were either handicapped in some way, physically and/or mentally and lived in the woods ( or were purposely left/dumped) in seclusion for a variety of reasons. I can see how people could or would explained away these wild men as legends or fairy tales. Maybe the originators of the fairy tales were the ones who forced the wild men into the woods in the first place?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
BOB is BS,
He was made up by the OP and thats that. 30 pages of a hoax and gullible little people that will believe everything that they read. Deny Igrorance went out the window on this little fairy tale.
Bob is a HOAX and should be treated as such.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Well, maybe Bob is a hoax, but my thread isn't. I am actually interested to see what people think about how persons who are basically rejected from the rest of society (or perhaps bypassed and unknown) could be interpreted by the rest of us as something "humanoid" (thus implying less than human). I thought this particularly interesting because it is outside the mainstream, we don't usually have knowlege of such creatures. I also thought it interesting as to how such creatures or persons may actually tie into society and yet be interpreted by society as abnormal, other, "humanoid" instead of "human."

I seem to have bypassed nearly all such discussion, however, by including "Bob" in the title, which I actually think is too bad, since it is such a good lead-in. Perhaps I will be allowed to change my thread title. I will give it a shot.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
reply to post by AreaJerm

I agree. I also think it is in bad taste for almost an exact duplicate thread from the OP is on BTS and it is a thread with nothing but ridicule and mockery toward the OP. If people don't believe the OP, fine, but why is there a need to ridicule him and why is it allowed????

See the handicaped lady in my post above.
Shame that Jokes poster is doing nothing but makeing fun of another poster

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Well I suppose I owe you an apology.

I just now read the whole OP, and the connection you draw is interesting, and definitely a plausible explanation for the Mysterious Bob Scenario -- granted Bob is not just some hoax of course.

grandpabobby's post as well ^^ I wonder how many exiles of that nature there really are just running around out in remote areas..

--------------

and I was just trying to have a little fun with that other thread... We should all know by now that one can not just assume that everything everyone writes online (especially on ATS
) is real.
edit on 8-7-2011 by deanGI5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

I read your thread about the farie wind dropping this child,,and about the faries..
What I felt about the story they told seem just a way to cover up an example of mans inhumanity to man..by spinning a yarn and getting people to believe and thus stay away..
I did see the picture of Bob defore the thread closed..from what I could tell he was dressed in white pants and a T shirt and had the no arms birth defect....by the way the attack thread in Jokes was closed..Are Faries real ? at the base of things such as this there is always a possibility there is an orign of truth behind it..such as Poor Bob

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

yeah that's how I interpreted it as well.

Or the fact that the girl believed in fairies and said that she was dropped by fairy wind and whatnot - those folks might have just chosen to believe her since that would account for her strange behavior when really she was just a bit off up in the head. Perhaps they were uneducated and gullible and/or didn't know better

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by deanGI5

(Regarding author's name) Oh man... I wish I was so clever as you are giving me credit for, but my post is actually legit and both the author and the book I quoted are real, so google away.

Sorry to spoil the fun, but I was serious. I don't think I am alone in the thought that such things can happen. People can be maltreated, and have mental issues, and be left mostly on their own. I think it happened more in the past, but I think it still happens, and remote locations are a more likely place for it to happen.

I've been a member for several years now, feel free to look up my history, too.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: To clarify my comment, since others threw it out of place and it was not clear where it was directed.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Edited again to clarify further that my post is not in jest.

edit on 7-0720117-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Spelling
Im not laughing (see my post about the armless lady..she was one of the fortunate ones..In the past and to some extent today these poor folks with often mental disorders were hidden away..thinking they brought shame on the family .Mans inhumanity to man ..

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
that pic of Bob reminds me of the fluke-man from that x-files episode........
2nd line

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Those bob threads, while interesting, at the moment im very sceptical. Now, if this was happening to me, i would do my best to capture this thing. Even if it meant staying up all night. The photo he did take could be easily faked. Could be just a mate running with his arms in front of him.

In this day and age where almost every mobile has a camera, its should not be hard to get some decent photos of this thing, considering he has seen it quite a few times.

Also, i would like to add that ATS has its fair share of attention seekers and hoaxers, so we all need to be very sceptical about such claims.

Im not saying he is lying, but he needs to put alot more effort into getting more evidence.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yeah, I see the connection you are making there OP, which was exactly my thinking when suggesting on the 'bob' thread that his Grandad may have had some kind of a relationship with the creature.

I've heard many of these stories over the years, people who are for whatever reason cast out from society.

The most alarming thing to me is that the majority of responses (Bob thread), were along the lines of -
Shoot It!

Assuming half of these responses were a joke because they just did'nt believe the OP, that still leaves a lot of people whose first response would be to hurt the thing.

If, and I know its still a big if but if Bob is out there and has been literally outcast from human society, judging by general opinion, I think he's better off staying where he is. Hidden

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
tylwyth teg is basically the welsh word for fairies .
interesting story op. any ideas whereabouts this was supposed to have happened?
im welsh and never heard of this one?
good find

top topics

<<   2 >>

join