It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a Haven for Insanity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I've been coming to ATS for a little over a year now. I was originally drawn here due to my disillusionment with society, mindless consumerism, and my thirst for knowledge.

I realized there was something not quite right with the world around me, and I had a sense that I, along with most of society, was missing the "Bigger Picture." I knew there was more to life than the monotony of the daily grind, and although I was raised as a devout Catholic, my parents religion didn't have the answers I was looking for. So in an attempt to understand the world around me, my eventual quest for truth and knowledge led me here.

There wasn't a topic I couldn't get enough of - Aliens, UFOs, Spiritual enlightenment, political corruption, and the threat of an omnipresent "TPTB" were enough to fuel my imagination for months on end and expand my awareness of the pitfalls of the modern world.

For the past few months, however, I have been losing respect for ATS and and its credibility. What was once a place I lurked around for truth and knowledge has quickly regressed into a cesspit of paranoia, IGNORANCE, and pseudo-religious insanity. It's not that ATS has changed so much since I initially became involved with it, it's that my mindset has changed and this newfound clarity has helped me see what I didn't want to see before.

And what I see now are PATTERNS. Doom and gloom threads with themes related to the "Economic Collapse," ecological disasters, and prophecies of impending comets or man-made natural disasters make their rounds on this site like clockwork, and have lost their novelty, and reality is setting in.

Instead of going on with a lengthy and jumbled rant, let me take this time to ask YOU a few questions in hopes that clarity will grace your mind, and give you a slightly more realistic perspective on this site and the world around you.

1. Wait a second... Why isn't the Economy is Ruins?

Remember all those threads talking about the CHAOS we'd see between 2010-2012? What happened to that? Yeah, the economy isn't too hot these days, but remember when the home page featured thread after thread of members and experts telling us, "It's gonna happen any day now, folks! Stalk up on food and tobacco! By June 2010 blood will runneth in the streets!" All these predictions are frightening, especially to those of us that have never experienced a recession, but have ANY of them come true?

2. Where's the Alien Disclosure?

Take a moment to go through ATS's archives and see how long people have talked about the elusive "ET Disclosure" - Where is it? Is it still "RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER OMG!" or is it possible our preconceived notions of aliens are COMPLETELY off-base and we're really just talking out of our @ss?

3. If Aliens as we imagine them actually exist, DOES IT REALLY MATTER? Let's face it - besides documented evidence of strange craft and crazy lights, all the supposed proof of ETs is very sketchy. But let's pretend that Greys are actually plotting against us with the Lizard People, and they're flying around letting us know of their presence despite the fact they have the technology to remain invisible the majority of the time. So what? What are YOU going to do about it? How does speculating on their existence improve YOUR life at all (unless you're selling a book or running a web forum that rakes in crazy $$$ from advertising), or help the world? Is awareness of their supposed existence going to better your life, your family/friends' lives, your financial situation, or help you achieve your goals and dreams within this Earthly realm?

4. The End is Near! So What?

Again, I encourage you to scan through the archives and find the countless threads warning us of our impending doom. Whether it be a comet, Planet X, nukes, famine, etc..., every month there's a few dozen threads all claiming the world as you know it is quickly going to end. So what? How many of these predictions have come true? Are you afraid of death? Based on history, what's the likelihood that any of these prophecies and predictions are going to happen within your lifetime? You can die at any moment from a car accident, stray bullet, heard attack, chemicals, falling asleep at the wheel - why do these apocalyptic scenarios frighten you more so than the reality that you will probably die from something far more trivial? Is the possibility of armageddon interfering with your ability to focus on your immediate reality? Is it becoming the source of depression in your life?

5. Holy Sh!t! Our World is SOOO MESSED UP! Or is it? Despite everything we know about political corruption, media brainwashing, unjust wars, and economic manipulation, you have to think, "at what point in recorded human history have things ever gone this smoothly?" At what point in the last couple thousand years has freedom of speech GLOBALLY been this widespread? At what point in human history has slavery been this scarce? At what point in human history has medical care, the availability of food, education, and knowledge been THIS ACCESSIBLE?! When has humanity ever been perfect? When has there NEVER been power-hungry sociopaths fighting over resources? If you were to take a time machine back to the 1940s, do you think you could honestly say their world is any better than ours? What about 1776? I mean, besides slavery and a total lack of female rights, they had things going for them, didn't they? At least they knew BIG GOVERNMENT was terrible, right? Is it possible that, because we haven't experienced anything other than relative comfort, we are quick to condemn the condition of humanity based on our lack of TRUE OPPRESSION, TRUE MISERY, and TRUE TERROR?

6. Are the Powers that Be all that POWERFUL? For as frighteningly powerful and corrupt as TPTB are, they sure are doing a terrible job at actually enslaving us. In fact, I would argue that they really don't have any idea what they're doing, and probably aren't as organized as you think they are. So let me ask you this: Who exactly are TPTB? What criteria must you meet to fit the description of a Power that Is? Is it possible that this mythical, all-encompassing Power Structure isn't as organized as you'd like to believe? Is it possible that TPTB aren't in a Legion of Doom-esque club as much as they are pockets of greedy individuals who occasionally collaborate with each other to fill their pockets? If so, how is that not typical of rich @ssholes in any period of our history? When have those with power NEVER been afraid of losing their position of power? Is it possible that just the vary nature of our political system(s) makes it easy for sociopaths to navigate their way to the top? If so, why would we expect any decency out of TWRT ("Those Who Run Things")? Instead of complaining about how manipulative these shadow-dictators are, why not use their game against them? Find loopholes in the system they create/maintain, and use it to your advantage. Do you complain about these oppressive power figures because you don't feel like you have any real control over your life/destiny? If so, don't you think that's YOUR issue? Don't you think YOU should realize that your happiness and well-being are completely up to you, and make changes in your life instead of blaming mythical Man-god's for your personal misery?

I could go all day asking you rhetorical questions about 2012 Ascension, 2012, Spiritual pseudo-science, etc... but I think you get the picture.

I'm not saying everything on ATS is delusional crazy-talk, but I'd say a good 80% of it is. I'm glad I found this site because it opened my eyes to injustice in the world, sparked my imagination, and helped me with critical thinking skills, but I'm afraid my time here is done. I hope everyone finds the clarity of mind to see things how they really are and move on. It's so easy to get stuck in a cycle of constant rage and disillusionment with our world, but you have to realize that on a cosmic scale, our lifespans (in this realm) are WAY too short to stress about other people's messes. Have fun with life - ignore the BS and make the most out of your time here. The world will never be perfect, because perfection is subjective and we all see things differently.

I came here because I was disillusioned - I leave because I'm disillusioned with my disillusionment.
Have a good one guys.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Sounds like you are becoming a skeptic and that's a good thing. You do not need to fall for every doom scenario but yet you realize there may be something going on behind the scenes.

You are achieving enlightenment. The truth usually lies somewhere in between the extremes and it's rewarding to look for it with an open mind.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I know, isn't it cool ?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
There is alot of good material to be found. Pick your favorite forums and keep up with them. Ignore topics that upset you and enjoy the ones that you like. I like to follow some members posts and see what they are discussing on a given day. It is a learning experience that can be enjoyable if you approach it right.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Disillusioned_Youth

ATS is a haven for insanity,hummm...
Maybe that is why I fit in sometimes.
I have to find out how to get the tinfoil
to fit around my ears.
Will someone help Mama adjust her
tinfoil hat?
Op,don't get discouraged,take a break
and come back with a great thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Some believe sane is a form of insanity. I for one love being insane, it keeps me sane.

Insanity is a good thing, or we wouldn't have the cool things we do now i.e. art, music, inventions.

So us quacks may be pushing the ''norm" but your lives would be a boring mess without us.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Its a user generated content website, if you feel the site has lost credibility or has become boring and predictable how about instead of whining like a little girl you make some worthwhile threads

P.s no offence intended to any little girls who read this
edit on 7-7-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

You're commenting on one, homey.
This is the 1st and only thread i will ever make, so I essentially killed 3 birds with one stone: I got to whine like a little girl, make you read my lengthy crybaby session (I win), and make a worthwhile thread, because this is quality material, son. Soak it up before it fades into obscurity.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
On a website created for discussing conspiracy theories, aliens and alien abductions, paranornal, politics, New World Orders, etc. you are going to attract some crazies.

Is everything on this site wrong? No. Is everything right? Probably not.

You job as an individual is to form your own opinions. What you think is crazy someone else might think isn't.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have a question. I question everything -- especially those who come up with off the wall poorly sourced crap -- I thought that was a good thing yet I get the feeling the a skeptic around here is treated a an old poo poo head.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

LOL

sincere apologies if I came across as rude, I said it more in humour than having a go at ya.
I do somewhat agree with you but look at the type of site it is, its a conspiracy website at its core and we all know that type of thing attracts the loons (myself included)

and for your info I stopped reading ur thread after point 1!!!!! so ner ne ner ne ner ner

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

in·san·i·ty    [in-san-i-tee] noun, plural -ties.
1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.
2. Law . such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.
3. Psychiatry . (formerly) psychosis.

You are a member, and by being so you are also part of what you are referring to as "insanity". Without being here would you then be sane? Probably not since you have already lumped yourself in with the rest of the "insane" by signing up for membership. So enjoy the insanity as it comes in many flavors around here!

edit on 7/7/2011 by SpaDe_ because: pfft.....

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Congratulations in your achievement of skeptical and critical thinking. Our economy is on shaky ground. We have the potential to default on our national debt. I do believe we could have blood in the streets if that happens. However, I hope not and am optimistic our wonderful leaders will gain some common sense.

Sounds to me like ATS has been a major part of the process of developing your new found critical thinking. If it works for you, I for one am glad you are here. If not. C/ya...have a great life.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
OK hold up!!!!!!

I know what I should have said before.

Complaining about the content on a user generated site when ur not contributing is like complaining the house isnt clean even though you dont do any housework or saying the foods sh!t when you didnt help cook.

Its just rude and unappreciative.

P.s I still think the whiny little girl comment is more appropriate but I wont say it coz a mod will delete it again

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

yes way to much negativity but its up to you whether you wanna manifest it or not
its also up to you and everybody else who feels the same to create credible threads
and influence others to do the same constructively with out complaining,this site is for everyone
even the misguided,delution of this web site do to popurlarity is a small price to pay for free speech

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

in·san·i·ty    [in-san-i-tee] noun, plural -ties.
1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.
2. Law . such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.
3. Psychiatry . (formerly) psychosis.

You are a member, and by being so you are also part of what you are referring to as "insanity". Without being here would you then be sane? Probably not since you have already lumped yourself in with the rest of the "insane" by signing up for membership. So enjoy the insanity as it comes in many flavors around here!

edit on 7/7/2011 by SpaDe_ because: pfft.....

What kind of f*cked up logic is that? Because I created a profile on ATS, I am insane? When did I ever say EVERYONE here is insane? Or that insanity/psychosis is induced by joining ATS? Citing the official definition of insanity doesn't make your nonsense anymore valid.

And to those who take pride in their insanity - well, cool. Personally, I gravitate towards truth, logic, and reason, but if that's not your thing, who am I to judge. O_o

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
There is alot of good material to be found. Pick your favorite forums and keep up with them. Ignore topics that upset you and enjoy the ones that you like. I like to follow some members posts and see what they are discussing on a given day. It is a learning experience that can be enjoyable if you approach it right.

You have stated above...what I also think about ATS.....yes....there are some (out there viewpoints) that I agree to disagree with...but I still so enjoy ATS.

(ATS is a haven for insanity...)....well....one person's insanity...is another person's normal.
edit on 7-7-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
OK hold up!!!!!!

I know what I should have said before.

Complaining about the content on a user generated site when ur not contributing is like complaining the house isnt clean even though you dont do any housework or saying the foods sh!t when you didnt help cook.

Its just rude and unappreciative.

P.s I still think the whiny little girl comment is more appropriate but I wont say it coz a mod will delete it again

Nah, I feel it. You make a good point, but I'm not inspired to write about conspiracy related topics. And I realize the scope of ATS goes far beyond cheesy conspiracies, but I feel like to get front page and noticed, you need to write sensationalized News topics, or make absolutely outrageous claims. At the end of the day, ATS is just entertainment, not unlike Fox, CNN, MSNBC etc... The only difference is ATS is a bit more "Out There" but both mainstream news networks and sites like ATS still LOOOVVEEE to use FEAR to get your attention

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Ummm?? your not inspired to write about conspiracy related topics? But you join a conspiracy related web site? And then you rant about it? I am a bit confused! How ever this is your rant and its in the correct forum , so I say have at it!
edit on 7/7/2011 by bourbon2nite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join