It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Bad Pest Battling U.S. Grain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

One of the world's most destructive pests — with the potential to wreak havoc on the state's agricultural industry — has been found by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents at both the Detroit and Port Huron crossings.
The Khapra beetle is only as big as a nickel is thick, but en masse it could destroy some of Michigan's most important grain crops. It can feed on about any dried plant or animal matter but prefers grains such as wheat, barley, corn and rice.

"The Khapra beetle, if not interdicted, could wipe out soybean, wheat and corn crops," said Kenneth Hammond, chief of cargo operations of the Fort Street center.

I live about 40 minutes away from port huron. I find this very interesting with all the doom threads about food shortages and Europe's issues with crop yields this year. Not only that, but the majority of flooding that have happened as well in the States. Thought that this could be a small tidbit on the things to come in the world.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

False flag?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

People want organic so expect this to happen more and more often, just as it did before pesticides. Crop yields will fall, prices will be higher and more will starve. Those are just facts. No pesticides means all of the above. Organic comes with a price and I'd think that will lead to many of these infestations and crop losses.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It is just Monsanto at work
he needs to still justify why we need his junk.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yay more pesticides!

On a side note, I noticed Sunday that there is a Monsanto building right down the road from me. I'm in an area where (MS) where there are a lot of crops and I'm sure something is being done with them.

Ha I found it.

findarticles.com...
edit on 7-7-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join