It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Holographic Universe: Is Our 3D World Just an Illusion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Drawing upon the Holographic Principle, the premise behind the Fermilab project is that space is two dimensional, and that the third dimension is inextricably linked with time. If that's the case, our 3D world is merely an approximate illusion. Assuming that's true, the illusion is likely imperfect and blurry, just as photographs and videos are, especially when viewed on a granular level.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Interesting and fun theory. To me at least. To others it may be lame. This theories have been around awhile yes... the difference here is that they are now in the works to be tested.
So the 3D world may be an illusion, but it is a persistent one. We are coming to an understanding of how the Mind of God works on the edge of spacetime... like what Hawking was talking about at the end of his Brief History of Time.
Jack Sarfatti has been saying "The new idea from me is that the hologram projector (event horizon) is in our future not in our past. This is the Destiny Matrix." His question "Are we 3D hologram images computed from our future dark energy 2D event horizon?"

edit on 7-7-2011 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yeah I've heard about this, I believe there is an experiment in the running to try to see if this can become more than a theory, involving some pretty hardcore mirrors if my memory serves me correctly .

Not sure if they have started testing yet, as I know its taken a while to build.

Nevertheless, the holographic principle will be very interesting if it turns out to be proven.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This thread took me by surprise as I just started reading the book 'The Holographic Universe'. Strange Coincidence.
I've only gotten a little ways into it, but so far I find the theory convincing. As he lines up the similarities between the brain and holographs I had to agree they do indeed seem similar.
It explains so many things that science has had I hard time figuring out such as how we remember and why we forget, how we recognize people and things, and how our memories seem to not come from a single part of the brain but the whole thing.
Fascinating indeed.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Smoke and mirrors, that is the term coined up by many people who believe in a esoteric/mystic lifestyle. Claiming that this world is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Let us be honest, this life is a testing ground by something higher, I believe G-d. Others, aliens, others nothing. Good discussion S&F

If you read the top and feel that space is 2 Dimension and time creates the 3rd as the OP thread said, I am surely you will all feel a shift in consciousness, as I am right now.
You can deny ignorance, but you cannot deny spirituality
edit on 7-7-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We all tragically died at some point in our lives but some humanitarians from the future decided it would be nice for us to live out the remainder of our "years" within a computer simulation. At the moment of our death we transitioned into the simulation not realizing it and we currently are living out the "remainder" of our lives.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Why can't life and reality just be without all this 'extra'...

No it's not an illusion. It's real. We are real. This idea, is real. Quit trying to take away from the only REAL things.
edit on 7-7-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
World Just an Illusion?,,,,hmmmmm
Dear Cable Company
My son says you are an illusion,, therefore i will no longer be paying for an allusion.
Thank-You

A parent.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If it were to be true, I think I'd like some cheat code......invincible for starter, immortality granting and taking power, teleportation, flying, gold making, and telephathy.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Its not exactly the world thats an illusion. Yes the world is a reflection of your inner self. So in a way it is. But its your inner self thats the illusion.

Confucius say.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
good discussion you all. You all bring up some good interesting points that I myself have been thinking about. I think its entirely a natural progression of thought to read stuff like whats talked about in this article and the theories investigated in books such as "Holographic Paradigm" and "The Holographic Universe".... and feel sort of Hollow about it all or feel like its very mechanical and reductive. I think ultimately like Alan Watts says "a push from the left is a pull from the right"... meaning in this case that there are two sides or many angles from which to approach what life and the universe are about. These theories/investigations are about trying to uncover some of those angles... they aren't really about finding spirtual things in the traditonal sense nor about shattering them either. These are the mechanic things..... the body... not the soul (either specifically and or broadly...yes i know others dont believe in a soul). Other folks out there are investigating soul arenas. To me just because something is an illusion doesnt mean its not "real" (heavy terminology i know)... it just means thinking about it from an illusion standpoint is another way of approaching something that we take for granted. Both are in some ways correct i can use such a term.

obviously the above is an opinion of miine... it is entirely subjective least any of you all think im trying to be objective.
edit on 7-7-2011 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Taken literally elements in the third dimension do shrink to a length of zero approaching the speed of light.

Extending the thought experiment beyond the speed of light, Sarfatti might be right there would be a time reversal that leaves causality in the future and to an outside observer the universe would appear inside out.

At Jacks age he's allowed to have a little fun, but I don't think the laws of causality are going to be changed in any meaningful way.

The idea of a holographic destiny matrix might be a good learning model to help people understand the subjective nature of recognition. If you view a 3 dimensional event in two dimensions as it might appear in an unlit holographic chamber, all the elements are in muddied superposition. You can project different scenes by highlighting different patterns of elements. Jack Sarfatti is brilliant at abstract pattern recognition and is very good at subtly collapsing the wave function in a manner that almost makes it appear effect comes before cause.
edit on 7-7-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by krossfyter

Here's a diagram which might help explain how this Universe could be Holographic.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/096faf5e67a8.gif[/atsimg]

I think this diagram is gonna be a little hard to understand, so I'll post the explanation given by the author:

C1. the original reality, the original Universe, the true Universe, where the true consciousness resides.

C2. (C2) and (C3) can't be proven to exist, so they should simply be the (....), there could be thousands of characters between C4 and C1, we just don't know until we do, but we will know the Characters that will come after C4, hence RuneScape.

C3. Same as (C2), we just don't know.

C4. Human beings, and the Universe we reside on.

C5. RuneScape Character, and the RuneScape Universe.

The original Consciousness can see the whole, everything, but we can't, we can only see (C5), (C6), (C7).... it could go up to infinite..

Source

So simply put, what is being said is that there could be infinite number of holographic universes between the Human Universe, and the actual Universe where actual consciousness is derived from.

This is a very interesting theory.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
And then u see a picture of an actual event that took place in our universe,,,,,,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff615340cbca.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes that is about the same size as our sun ,, , i wonder if they were thinking the same thing ,, long ago,, in a land far away,,,

" Hey wesdtrrt u feel something??? ,,, ya,,,uytrggf ,,,funny swirling,,,,,arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg."

just amazing.

Me.

edit on 7-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
thanks for that confreak. i like that.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by krossfyter

I'm a staunch supporter of the holomovement theory. Unfortunately, people just see the word "holographic" and instantly think it's entirely a fringe-type of science. The holomovement physics model is the only one that accounts for synchronicity, spirituality, or any "paranormal" events.

The holomovement model is what inspired me to write my paper in my signature. It's about how the brain interprets reality and how we interpret digital games. I accept the theory as truth and trust in it more than the standard physics model.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoyDreamer
This thread took me by surprise as I just started reading the book 'The Holographic Universe'. Strange Coincidence.
I've only gotten a little ways into it, but so far I find the theory convincing. As he lines up the similarities between the brain and holographs I had to agree they do indeed seem similar.
It explains so many things that science has had I hard time figuring out such as how we remember and why we forget, how we recognize people and things, and how our memories seem to not come from a single part of the brain but the whole thing.
Fascinating indeed.

Don't stop reading it. It actually covers near death experiences and all sorts of killer experiments towards the end.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by JoyDreamer
Fascinating indeed.

Don't stop reading it. It actually covers near death experiences and all sorts of killer experiments towards the end.

nice! gonna have to read that that topic in ur sig. thnx!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Nothing sums it up better than the mandelbrot set

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
They are looking to find one lone pixel and when/if they do...

people will no longer scoff and laugh at this theory...

Ancient as well as many modern religions are saturated with the thought that all is illusion, all is Maya...
Oddly enough so few adherents to modern religion seem to acknowledge it...

As a matter of fact, ancient thoughts on how the universe formed, how plant and animal life evolved etc etc if you can see beyond the prose, the poetic form with which much of this stuff is written, it is very... eerily similar to what science is "discovering"...

There is alot more to this theory then first meets the sheeple eye and it ties in nicely to several other theories that I have entertained for quite some time yet do not mind me as I was one of those "special kids" who was allowed to play with a computer while the rest of the drones I mean kids carried on with pencil and paper

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Ancient as well as many modern religions are saturated with the thought that all is illusion, all is Maya...

Human brain structure hasn't changed much since the great western philosophers subordinated the more illusory precognition. I think it must have been inventions like the printing press and other MSM technology that have turned a lot of people into zombies. All anyone need do is offer up some ready made cut and paste solution that has minimal appeal and in the absence of a better construct that becomes reality.

Whenever analog experience gets represented digitally it always loses something. The ancient astronomers must have realized this as star gazing evolved. Star gazers in early cultures saw familiar forms such as Ravens and hunters. Later cultures such as Egypt and the Mayans developed accurate predictive models to pull useful date and position information from the Maya.

So maybe it's the illusory fourth dimension of time that segregates the different religious paradigms?
Consider Da Vinci's painting of Christ for example, why should there be so many conflicting esoteric interpretations?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join