It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House votes to bar military aid to Libyan rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The US House of Representatives voted Thursday to forbid the Pentagon from providing military equipment, training, advice or support to Libya's rebels.

By a 225-201 margin, lawmakers debating an annual Pentagon spending bill adopted an amendment restricting Washington's ability to help fighters looking to overthrow longtime Libyan strongman Moamer Kadhafi.

The House was expected to vote Friday on approving the underlying bill, but the provision on Libya's rebels could face stiff opposition in Senate, which must approve the legislation to send it to Obama to sign into law.

If I understand the article correctly, the amendment was passed in the House, and the entire bill will be voted on on Friday. I have to say, good! I hope this amendment passes the Senate to.

Last I heard, France is already dropping them guns and missiles, and Russia is saying they may be violating an arms embargo on the country.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Good, but that must mean that Libya doesn't have much to offer the U.S.

Libya will be ravaged of her assets by countries form the E.U.

The U.S have Iraq, so are essentially tipping their hat to the likely invasion of NATO Troops minus U.S troops, any day soon.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Best news I've heard all day.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This could explain why Germany is now resupplying NATO with weapons
but this is a good start from the US. We have no business there, well from our sane point of view. From their criminal point of view we have every right to be there

Germany failed to insist on moral principles in Libya – Middle East expert

Germany has agreed to supply weapons in Libya despite its position on the UNSC resolution, because it understood that if it wanted to be taken into consideration by its allies, it had to change its stance, believes Middle East expert Mikail Barah. “I think that Germany has been submitted to a lot of pressure and has adopted a stance that was by far different from most of the NATO members, and from the EU members too,” explains Barah.

Germany has been quite critical about the military intervention in Libya and, along with Russia and China, abstained from the vote by the UN Security Council on the implementation of a no-fly zone in Libya. However, on May 28 German officials announced that their country would help to replenish NATO’s arsenals and therefore will technically participate in the alliance’s operation in LIbya.

edit on 7-7-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join