It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm a recent addition to the herd, and one of the things that I appreciate about the show is that it's positive without being diabetically sweet. That quality gives it something like realness, except they're clearly cartoon ponies in a land of magic lol. I think a lot more shows and stories like this should exist, it doesn't have to be all dark all the time. That should have been an obvious conclusion, but legitimately all I used to watch was House and South Park, two examples of a total lack of innocence.

It's kind of like what Byrd was saying about stories that heal, we need more of whatever it is that MLP:FiM is. Because it's... I dunno, it's like it's healthy. Since I started watching the show, I've felt... better, I've been a kinder person, less grumpy, less moody. It does something to you if you watch enough of it, and whatever that something is, it's definitely good.

Misery and dysfunction are like a cancer on our society, and we're spoonfed it with almost every single consumable piece of media there is to watch. Stuff like MLP is part of the cure. IMHO.

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
I'm sure we've all seen a 33 year old man with dimensions best measured in cubic units dressed as Sailor Moon. THAT'S creepy.

It's creepier when you know the guy in person... Not sailor moon, though, not sure which anime girl he is and I'm not gonna ask.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Mutant expressions of the human genome will frequently dress up as just about anything. So yes.

But the small scattering of ponies are still hardly the worst offender. You have not recoiled in terror until you see twelve people dressed as birdo trying to do DDR.

Why yes, i have been to a gaming convention. Never again.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

Speaking of stories that heal... sheck this thread on Ponychan. (don't worry, unlike many other *chan sites, it's SFW.) There are several other instances of, for whatever reason, the show or the community around it being crucial in someone's outreach. Why? I have no idea, other than perhaps people in need will accept whatever works for them. But still, you don't see this sort of stuff in, say, Family Guy fandoms.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Having gained a bit more insight into the brony I leave this thread in acceptance. However I leave with a cautionary word. Good TV like good movies and art should strive for an emotional bond with the viewer. This bond should span all emotions. I firmly believe that if you deny the experience of the negative you are denying pieces of yourself and that is not healthy.

Which is why I find media like the "This is England" movie and TV series so important. I cried during a couple episodes, me a 6'5" guy who like most of his gender and generation has been taught to deny that. I cried but I came out feeling more alive because of that. It didn't depress me it told me that in all my sorrows I was not alone.

Except for a few my friends all refused to watch it and wanted something more lighthearted. I could understand if it was not a good time or they weren't in a good mood but for these people it is never a good time for anything more than lighthearted silliness(which I regularly make time for myself). As a consequence I've found myself becoming closer to the people who I can share these emotions with and farther away from those I can't.

In short by all means watch positive TV but when you feel up to it make room for the not so positive in your viewing schedule. I promise you will gain some great moments from it.

P.S. I am not a fan of Family Guy or any of it's offshoots and wouldn't suggest watching it to my worst enemy.
edit on 8-9-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I see you've not delved into some of the fanfiction of the genre. Good for you, a lot of it is best avoided! Quite a lot of it is directly inverse to the actual show. Everything from brutal civil wars, to Pinkie Pie being a psychopath that would make Jigsaw crap his pants. it all balances out. None of us are living, eating, and breathing in pony, man

By the by... I found this thing, figured I might as well share.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

OH EM GEE!!!!! I take it back bronies are the best. Thanks so much for sharing this. I realize now you guys aren't all about the ponies. Some people I've met though if it's not animated and silly they just don't want to know.

I try not to delve into any fan fic that is a strange, sad and mostly disgusting world on the whole. Though now I do wonder if there is any Leningrad Cowboys fan fictions.... Hmmm maybe best not to find out.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
[color=#FFFF00]My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season Two Is Here!

Today marks the first day of the second season of the show, and it didn't take long for it to show up on YouTube, in 720p no less.

Here's Season Two, Episode One:

Just about anything and everything I could say about this episode would be a major spoiler, so I'll give in a bit and suggest it's like a cross between Labyrinth and Alice in Wonderland.

With ponies.

edit on 9/17/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Gee, put a spoiler alert on that will ya, I haven't even finished season 1 yet.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hey, I put one up back here, so don't say I didn't warn ye.

I will say that I had concerns about how they could possibly follow up on such a strong first season, since maintaining such a well-crafted tone is not easy, especially with Lauren leaving the production team.

Having seen what's cooking in the first episode of Season Two, my concerns have largely been laid to rest.

It's fun.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Fair enough. After I am all caught up, I am tempted to watch some of the old Pony cartoons that I loved back in the 80's and do a comparison.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Best part?

The interdimensional being of pure chaos who throws the crew into an existential game against him, a game that he can totally cheat in... is voiced by John de Lancie.

Q has invaded Equestria.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Grinse, Wenn's Dich Gruselt

I saw this over on Equestria Daily and thought my fellow ATS fans might enjoy this.

While I'm no expert on German, and opinions differ on how good the translations are, I do think the German dub sounds cool. And it's just neat seeing the ponies speak German.

Ich bin ein Pferdchenbruder.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
[color=#FFFF00]Season Two, Episode Two Is Here!

And brings with it A New Hope. Here's one of the many YouTube incarnations:

Not to spoil it too much more than I already have, but Friendship does come into play and...

May The Horse Be With You.™

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wabbit Twouble

Episode Two of the new season brings with it many things, including new ponies whose appearances in the cartoon, no matter how brief or inconsequential, give the fandom something to obsess over and run with.

One of the latest standouts is pictured here:

Fig. 1: The only pony who flies by way of propeller beanie.

The pony in question is Screwball, whose cutie mark, appearance and behavior (right down to the distinctive "ee-yi-ee-yi" sound) are a direct shout out to a scene from the 1946 Merrie Melodies cartoon Hare Remover:

Fig. 2: Visual humor, old school.

Needless to say, as with just about every other background or cameo pony, Screwball already has her own devoted fandom.

And, of course, she also represents just another example of the many, many homages to the Golden Age of Animation Friendship is Magic incorporates in every episode.

As a fan of the classics, I love it.

edit on 9/26/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Ponygeist

As revealed on Geekscape and reported on Equestria Daily, The Hub has commissioned a new billboard in Hollywood:

Fig. 1: Run to the light. No, wait...

It was unveiled today, as seen here:

Fig. 2: Anypony who is anypony has a billboard in Hollywood.
As seen from US 101.

Apparently the October 22 episode will, in fact, be a Halloween-themed episode.

Try not to hide under your pillow, but giggle at the ghostly instead.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Happy Ponyversary!

One year ago today, on 10/10/10, the very first episode of Friendship is Magic aired on The Hub, making it a day forever sacred to pony fandom.

As usual, Equestria Daily has coverage, and we can expect pony fans -- that is to say, bronies -- to do all sorts of silly things in celebration.

For my part, I mainly did non-pony-related things, but that won't stop me from hoof-pumping in support.

Meanwhile, Season Two Episode Three: Lesson Zero, is scheduled for this Saturday, October 15, with new weekly installments to resume after that.

Lastly, rumors have been circulating that Season Three is already beginning production. While still just rumors at this point, the show's astronomical popularity makes the idea of a third season not being in production far less credible than rumors it is.

Such is the topsy-turvy, crazy ponified world we live in.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm waiting for #3, having seen the first 2. I was a little ambivalent about the opener, but on reflection I decided I did like the overall theme quite a bit. Have to rewatch it.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

The synopsis for "Lesson Zero" is: "Hyper-organized Twilight panics when she can’t find a lesson about friendship for her weekly letter to Princess Celestia."

I imagine the tone and nature of the show will be more like the bulk of the Season One episodes than the epic two-parters, which tend to be more dramatic in scope.

We should know this Saturday. I definitely intend to catch it as soon as it hits YouTube.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
And a belated Happy Ponyversity to you, too!

I should probably start reading Equestria Daily. I think what stops me is that I'd feel compelled to draw, and right now I've got too much going on to do that.

...maybe.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
[color=#FFFF00]Season Two, Episode Three. Weekly Episodes Resume!

Synopsis: Hyper-organized Twilight panics when she can’t find a lesson about friendship for her weekly letter to Princess Celestia.

Oh, but there's so much more to this episode than the synopsis would have us believe.

How much more? See for yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join