Caught in the act - Why citizens MUST retain the right to film police & government officials (Stosse

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99

Actually, if people lose the right to submit this kind of evidence in court, the totalitarian government will have won. Post the video on youtube and -- ?? What are people going to do? Form a small mob in one town and get hit with tear gas, probably arrested themselves, then life goes on. We live in a nation of cowards.

And to those fools who continually single out Fox News as being "the worst media source" -- why do they have shows and people like this on it? Standing up for TRUE conservative ideals of the people having power over government? Go and make some more excuses to cover your partisan brainwashing.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If the police are doing the right thing, they shouldn't be worried about being filmed whilst doing their jobs.
Which is what was said in the vid, but It's what I've always thought.

I'm so pleased that a show like this is on the air. Kudos to them.

But after seeing that cop blatently push that guy who was clearly trying to avoid him, I'm convinced that that there must be a question on the police academy application form that states " Are you an insecure thug?"

That's gotta be a prerequisite.

I know there has to be people out there who decide to be police officers because they truly want to protect and serve. I'm just wondering where along the way they gave up on that and began to pacify and brutalize.

To be clear, I know that not all police officers are Gestapo. Most want to do the right thing, I hope.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Excellent vid MA and I couldn't agree more. People need to see it.

Also wanted to add that Radley Balko is awesome. Here's a good read he put out a few years ago; you may find it interesting.

Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It's because we can film government officials that we have masterpiece clips like this on when Alex Jones nailed David Gergen about Bohemian Grove Rituals.

edit on 8-7-2011 by mick1423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Great thread,thanks OP.

Ive never seen this Stossel guy before but hes seems honest and is actually discussing decent and worthy matters,i will be looking into his work now and hopefully it stays that way.

I agree,if the law enforcement has nothing to hide,them why are they so scared of the public video taping them?
They shouldnt,so by them being against it only shows that they have something to hide,just like the government because they act the same way.

The government and law enforcement can tape us everywhere we go and everything we do,but we cant video tape them doing their job?!? give me a break,what a joke.

That clip of that guy getting elbowed or pushed off his bike is bloody sad,i hope that "cop" gets whats coming to him.The other clip of that cop with a gun is also sad as well,especially when he only gets a 10-20 day suspension?!? is that it? he drew his gun for crying out loud.

Whats the world coming to...

Cheers
edit on 8-7-2011 by BillyBoBBizWorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I disagree that it should go both ways. The police are on the payroll, my payroll.

I should be able to film them anytime they are on the clock assuming I do not endanger them or anyone else by doing so.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sdocpublishing

Agreed, public servants weilding unusal authority along with various weapons, should have considerably LESS privacy while on duty than private citisens.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Someone has to do it so everyone can see the truth. You cant count on the media to do it thats for sure.

www.projectcensored.org...

I dont agree with the goverment telling you how to live but i do agree with the FCC trying to tell the media how to report. In this case anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I know this thread is going on forever, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in anyway, even if no one actually gets all the way down to seeing mine. On one hand I absolutely believe that the filming of Police in the regular course of their duties goes to the CORE of what the First Amendment was written for in freedom of the Press. Just who do these guys think the "Press" were back then? No billionaires running around... The local paperman was as likely as not a guy just barely scraping by....So who do they think they are to ever question our right to film those acting in our names as agents of the government WE THE PEOPLE are the direct supporters of.

Now having said all that. So many of these stories recently have been the result of citizens who either started it outright by being just as obnoxious and disruptive as they could manage to start a fight....which they eventually got in every case.....or they have probably meant well but didn't have the brains of a komquat. I just hope people use their heads. Get the events filmed, and do it as much as possible, but there is no need to try MAKING news in the process of crying about becoming the center of the news you were hoping to catch. Besides......It's always better to know the first sign they ever have of being recorded in the act of some dirty deed is to see it on TV or YouTube like everyone else.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
John Stossel is a shill and a whore for corporate media. John Stossel had an episode dedicated on how privatization of government services was good for America. He never showed the juvenile court judge who went around sentencing kids to a private detention facility that he got kick backs from and was outrageously charging the government, Case after case of corporations gaining control of public services only to cost more money to tax payers and make huge profits for corporations. He also had an episode about how wonderful out sourcing and off shoring of American jobs was for America. Give me a break, he'll say anything for money. Even this episode he took that condescending tone "well are you sure that recording cops is a good thing?" He's a media whore and if he says anything I agree with, its only because his masters want him to say it. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of his mouth.

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Kudos to Stossel, everyone should watch Stossel and give him ratings, he's frikkin Awesome!
He always has amazing shows

This video needs to be seen by everyone, of course an armed officer should always be videotaped
It has always shown to help ENFORCE the law

Officers not feeling comfortable or safe while being filmed should simply find another profession
It's that simple!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
We elect them by the campaigns! if they do not do what we told, They MUST be put to death by hanging!. They and their family!. Forget human rights crap!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

Originally posted by CodexSinaiticus

Great video thanks for posting.

I guess his career (Stossel) has improved from his early "investigative journalism" days.

Take that laugh track away and that was an act of pure violence and rage. It actually wasn't funny at all.

Oh, please why don't you grow up a little. You apparently have never seen real violence in you life.

Consider yourself fortunate.

Maybe I could pity him if he was a man and a true journalist Like Lou Dobbs, but he is not.

If he made movies or other entertainment that would be fine, but don't falsely pedal a news show when all you do is mass-distraction.

When someone projects a direction for you to take based on emotion (police brutalty, gay rights, abortion etc), they are in control of you the moment you by into their presentation.

If I could line up all of the MSM sellouts, like Stossel, and slap them multiple times I would.

Is that violent enough for you?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegrayone
This is really good in a 90 %, and bad in a 10 %.
Why? Good because LEOs have to really behave. Now they are at the other end of the rope.
Bad because there is that 10 % where LEOs are hated, and you have to keep you identity secret (like in San Diego, CA), they recognize you and they are going to start with you when you are off duty. Your car, house and family are now targets. Now you have to carry your gun with you at all time and might have to use it, to defend yourself and your family, because they know who you are and what you do.
I have to go for now.

And why is it that they hate cops?????

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
if we can be filmed by the beast 24/7, then why can we not film them??? live by the sword, then die by the sword.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by consciousrevolutionary
if we can be filmed by the beast 24/7, then why can we not film them??? live by the sword, then die by the sword.

I only half agree with you
the other half is that we shouldn't be filmed but they should

But star because I mostly agree

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CodexSinaiticus

this is atrocious... poor guy..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I fully agree with you, we shouldn't be filmed; hey, but as we have no choice..

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This issue came up on Coast to Coast the other night.

I think of course filming needs to be allowed, and police have actually used video themselves during arrests to disprove allegations of brutality. On the other hand, it does support victims of police brutality as well. We have too many secrets in a 'free' society as is; not allowing filming of police is downright dangerous and ominous.

But I think most people have no idea of how surveilled they are in America. Stores for instance have cameras, dressing rooms in clothing stores, malls, certain streets, ATM machines...these we KNOW of. In my opinion the safest guess is to assume you ARE being filmed everywhere you go - subways, busses, parking lots, waiting rooms, streets,...we are being watched so I believe we should have the right to do the same. Straight police officers should not mind this as they are doing their duty within the law.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join