Caught in the act - Why citizens MUST retain the right to film police & government officials (Stosse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

We Humans have a right to record Our perspective. I applaud John resoundingly.

Now if We can build momentum to keep Our right...
edit on 7/7/2011 by Amaterasu because: Clarity

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
You know what's cool? They can't stop it. Even if they banned cell phones, anyone with half a brain could strip the exterior, mount it to a suitcase, a tie, or a boot, and no body would ever know. And if they ignored such proof because it was under illegal means, sucks for that government. They're dead.

Basically government, end of your world. Straighten up or retire before you're caught.

Actually, if people lose the right to submit this kind of evidence in court, the totalitarian government will have won. Post the video on youtube and -- ?? What are people going to do? Form a small mob in one town and get hit with tear gas, probably arrested themselves, then life goes on. We live in a nation of cowards.

And to those fools who continually single out Fox News as being "the worst media source" -- why do they have shows and people like this on it? Standing up for TRUE conservative ideals of the people having power over government? Go and make some more excuses to cover your partisan brainwashing.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen3273676
if cops werent doing anything wrong they wouldnt mind being filmed!

whats really wrong imo is the cop that takes out the guy on the bike loses his job but he should really get the same punishment you or i would get for doing the same to a cop on a bike!

I remember a case back in the early 80's (I think it was) where a cop was very happy about being filmed. The case was this woman said this cop assaulted her and some one video taped the action from the other side of the road and it showed the woman was making it all up. In the end she admitted to just wanting a pile of money from a law suit and there was no attack.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

At one of the departments I know of, all the officers had a key to the recorder in the trunk. They took their own videos out and turned them in at the end of the day.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I wonder how often those tapes got lost or have gaps in them
edit on 7/7/2011 by fixer1967 because: something went wrong in posting

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
In constitutional law no citizen private or public has an expectation of privacy in a public place, with a few exception like public restrooms and the like..

No one is attempting to film these police officers at home in their private residences.

As long as the person filming is not interfering with the officers in the course of there work, these officers have no more right to privacy in a public setting than anyone else.
edit on 7-7-2011 by skull_bones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Every single thing a cop does while wearing a badge is a matter of public record...everything. They have no reason to have an expectation of privacy. You can't say that it is lawful to demand the police officer report exactly what happened, but that it is unlawful for a bystander to record it as it happens. If anything, i think all police interactions should be recorded. Not that it is even fathomable, but I think you get my point.

The notion that we should be charged with something for whipping out a cell phone when we see officers performing their public duty in order to ensure the public record is accurate is absurd and tyrannical.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by skull_bones

Exactly...as long as they are wearing a badge...it's fair game.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Exactly...as long as they are wearing a badge...it's fair game.

It has nothing to do with their badge.

Their privacy rights in a public setting are no different than yours or mine, nor should they.

For example If people had an expectation of privacy in a public setting:

People could sue everytime their image was caught on a security camera

Tourists snapping pictures couldnt develop any film without written consent by the strangers they happen to photograph.

Its just a ridiculous concept for anyone to expect to have privacy in a public setting.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Except in Illinois. You would be legal to do it if you could somehow turn the audio off. That is fortunately being fought atm. at federal level.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Except in Illinois. You would be legal to do it if you could somehow turn the audio off. That is fortunately being fought atm. at federal level.

Yep, Im aware.

I live in illinois.

Its actually illegal in three states right now, Illinois, Maryland, and Massachusetts.

I was just going by how the constitution defines expectation of privacy, which doesnt mean much these days.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

That's funny you say that. I've made that argument myself...not only about this but about other things.

Interesting though the same people who will make that statement will say its a friggin travesty to have police or government film "them"....even if they aren't doing anything wrong.

It should go both ways.

It is unnecessary for a private citizen (to be secretly filmed or otherwise recorded) because the private citizen has nothing to prove. Innocence before proven guilty. The burden of providing proof of guilt lies upon the shoulders of the law, without violating the privacy rights of the private citizen.

Nowadays the law allows for a suspension of a private citizens rights in order to prove him/her guilty of something, which is in itself a crime unto the unsuspecting private citizen, who puts his faith wholeheartedly into a law system that he expects will protect him from all perpetrators, including the law system itself.

How then is the law expected to find and penalize criminals, you might ask? That my friend, is left to their discretion, but it should never ever be at the price of the integrity of the law system we expect to protect us all.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

Originally posted by Malcram
I think every single police officer out on the street should be required to wear a headcam with audio and every second they are on duty recorded.

That's exactly what I was gonna' say. And of course the video should be streamed and stored to a source that they don't have physical access to. Hell, make it so people can watch the streaming video live in real time on the internet or even on TV. Kind of like C-SPAN where its just constant video without commercials.

Great idea but why should it be limited to police? I would love to be able to tune into what everyone on the public dime is doing from the lowest cubical worker to the legislaters taking bribes from lobbyists.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The day that we can't monitor our own athorities is the day we truely have become a facist nation.

Thier always needs to be some kind of checks and balances its what the founding fathers wanted.

The best offence is a strong sound defence.

Like someone said before, all cops should have a recorder that has video and audio on the person at all times when on duty. Also they should not beable to tamper with the video by any means.

Trust has long flown out the _ Lets turn the tables on these corrupt cops and put the people eyes on them for a change.

A good cop is a cop that can't hide nothing.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Any laws that try to prevent citizens from filming police are definitely ridiculous and should never be passed. However, I see a lot of posters in this thread saying things to the effect of, "Private citizens have a right to privacy." This is not true at all. If a private citizen is in a public area such as on the street or in the mall or something, they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. If someone takes pictures or video of you while you are in public there is nothing unreasonable or illegal about it. Think about how many security cameras there are in the world.

So it is not a matter of police having less of a right to privacy because they are public servants, it is that they should have the same expectation of privacy as anyone else while they are in public.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It should not be against the law in any state to record police fficers video and audio. There are just no arguments against it. If the cop is doing his job right and sticking to his training then it will show. And that clip with the cop pushing the guy on the bike and said it was his fault was disgusting i bet stuff like that happnes all the time

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

Originally posted by Malcram
I think every single police officer out on the street should be required to wear a headcam with audio and every second they are on duty recorded.

That's exactly what I was gonna' say. And of course the video should be streamed and stored to a source that they don't have physical access to. Hell, make it so people can watch the streaming video live in real time on the internet or even on TV. Kind of like C-SPAN where its just constant video without commercials.

Great idea but why should it be limited to police? I would love to be able to tune into what everyone on the public dime is doing from the lowest cubical worker to the legislaters taking bribes from lobbyists.

sounds like 1984 propaganda to me!

I think streaming to it online so everyone can watch is a bit to far. I do how ever think that when a incident arises where a citizen feels abused by a officer then the video should be easily accessible without any lawyers or court orders needed or any HUGE fines.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

That's funny you say that. I've made that argument myself...not only about this but about other things.

Interesting though the same people who will make that statement will say its a friggin travesty to have police or government film "them"....even if they aren't doing anything wrong.

It should go both ways.

i agree, people might moan about it but they ARE being filmed regardless, especially here in the u.k., so the police should be fine with being filmed but they are not and people are often arrested for doing so.

it should go both ways but does'nt it seems, not without an arrest taking place anyway.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Great video thanks for posting.

I guess his career (Stossel) has improved from his early "investigative journalism" days.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Awesome, thank you for this post! I reposted to my fb. I honestly don't know a single person who would not defend our right to film on public property.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

It should go both ways.

A civillian is NOT at work (for the government much less) nor are they responsible for peoples protection nor do they posses the ability to send someone away to prison. Private citizens should not be recorded. Public officials should.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join