It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught in the act - Why citizens MUST retain the right to film police & government officials (Stosse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+153 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Kudos to Stossel, everyone should watch Stossel and give him ratings, he's frikkin Awesome!
He always has amazing shows

This video needs to be seen by everyone, of course an armed officer should always be videotaped
It has always shown to help ENFORCE the law

Officers not feeling comfortable or safe while being filmed should simply find another profession
It's that simple!

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'll be the first to flag this. I agree with the title of this thread wholeheartedly. Police are not above the law and should not be granted greater rights of privacy than the average citizen. There are far too many cops willing to abuse their authority and engage in criminal acts to allow them immunity from being recorded. If a cop is honest and ethical and he should have no problem having his actions recorded.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This highlights just about the biggest problem in the world's so-called democracies' "power structures".

Those in public office work FOR the public, there salaries are paid for BY the public, and therefore should answer TO the public. Yet, for some reason, it all seems to get spun around and the public seems to be bound to answer to them... this is not how it was meant to be.

I wholeheartedly agree that any kind of oversight is a good thing, from phone videos to Wikileaks, any tool that can get the truth to the REAL bosses (the general, voting, tax-paying public) is essential!

Also an essential reason why any attempt to pass laws limiting such oversight, and reminding public officials and servants that WE ARE THE BOSS, should be fought against tooth and nail.

the Billmeister

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
if cops werent doing anything wrong they wouldnt mind being filmed!

whats really wrong imo is the cop that takes out the guy on the bike loses his job but he should really get the same punishment you or i would get for doing the same to a cop on a bike!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen3273676

That's funny you say that. I've made that argument myself...not only about this but about other things.

Interesting though the same people who will make that statement will say its a friggin travesty to have police or government film "them"....even if they aren't doing anything wrong.

It should go both ways.

+27 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Private citizens have the right to privacy...

Public officials dont(While uniformed/on the clock)...Once they take on civilian clothes, then sure they have the right to privacy

Great video find... Modern

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

That's funny you say that. I've made that argument myself...not only about this but about other things.

Interesting though the same people who will make that statement will say its a friggin travesty to have police or government film "them"....even if they aren't doing anything wrong.

It should go both ways.
That main difference being, the public aren't in a position of authority. The police are held to a higher level of authority, they have to lead by example. But time and time and time again, they abuse these powers. Now we have something to fight this with, they don't like it. Their little game of "screw you, I'm a cop and i can do what I like" is dying on its arse. And it is due to us, the people, being vigilant in filming every single interaction with the police.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I disagree, and the reason is, as stated in the video the police and other government officials ultimately work for us (the tax payers) and we should have the ability to monitor and document their on duty performance just like any other employer.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

It should go both ways.

i was making fun of the cop tactic you dont mind if i search you? why ?what are you trying to hide? insisting on your constitutional rights is proof of a crime to them. cops not wanting to be filmed is proof of a crime to me!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

It should go both ways.

That's completely different though
We are citizens with privacy rights, these on the on the other hand are public servants

For example, my company supplies me with a computer, it is for work purposes
I have no right to tell them not to search my computer if they ever feel like they want to
Also every email I send out from my work PC is considered public information.

Nobody can search my PC at home however or read my emails

Now take that logic and multiply it by a million since cops have lethal weapons
Because of that it is Imperative that citizens flim cops as often as they get the chance

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Remember what Robert A. Heinlein, speaking through the character Lazarus Long said:

In a mature society, “civil servant” is semantically equal to “civil master.”

www.angelfire.com...

To combat this, videotaping them at work is an absolute necessity. They have NO privacy rights when they're on the job, nor whenever they are in public view, same as everyone else, so there shouldn't be an issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Even if it did become illegal i would still record police

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I think every single police officer out on the street should be required to wear a headcam with audio and every second they are on duty recorded.

Missing footage should be a sackable offence.

Every incident they are involved in should thus be automatically recorded and available to the members of the public involved upon request.

No exceptions.

Then this whole issue goes away. The Police will stop whining about being filmed because they'll be filmed constantly and they wont be able to lie, be violent and act unlawfully without consequences, because its all recorded.
edit on 7-7-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Kudos to Stossel, everyone should watch Stossel and give him ratings, he's frikkin Awesome!
He always has amazing shows

This video needs to be seen by everyone, of course an armed officer should always be videotaped
It has always shown to help ENFORCE the law

Officers not feeling comfortable or safe while being filmed should simply find another profession
It's that simple!

What's being said is the exact reason why they are trying to pass law's that can prosecute the everyday working citizen of putting a police or government official in danger by recording them,they can also tack on a charge of obstruction and disturbing the peace.. Anyone who doesn't know about this should go google it. Every state in the USA has tried to pass this law.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
I think every single police officer out on the street should be required to wear a headcam with audio and every second they are on duty recorded.

That's exactly what I was gonna' say. And of course the video should be streamed and stored to a source that they don't have physical access to. Hell, make it so people can watch the streaming video live in real time on the internet or even on TV. Kind of like C-SPAN where its just constant video without commercials.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

At one of the departments I know of, all the officers had a key to the recorder in the trunk. They took their own videos out and turned them in at the end of the day.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

I agree. I also think that this is still passing of the responsibility of the People to police their employees. If we leave it entirely to the departments; the video recording equipment, then the same thing can happen. I also think that education would be in order, and we need very specific classes at the academies teaching Civil Rights, and the Bill of Rights, as well as the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence.

Some type of rules as well. If the Officer commits a Felony, he is gone, and can never be a cop again.

3 Strike rule for all other infractions below Felonies. Then they are gone, and cant be a cop again.

Instead of looking for People of lower intelligence, the opposite should be true.

Police Unions need to be done away with. The police work for the Government, the Government works for the People, they dont need Unions. Pay raises should include Personal evaluations by Senior Officers. Senior Officer pay rate determined by public oversight and administration councils that would run the departments ultimately. It seems councils made up of the public need to start forming for all areas of these endeavors.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Here is one I personaly know about.
My wifes sons girlfriends brother had a fight in the grocery store parking lot with another 18 year old.
The other boys father was an off duty police officer who broke up the scuffle .
The off duty officer called a friend that was on duty.That officer frisked the other boy and found a smell bag of grass..so they took the kid to jail..when the boys lawyer viewed the dash cam footage it could plainly be seen the officer planting the dope..charges were dropped and the officer was fired.It never made the news ..but in this case justice was served..thanks to a dash camera.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You know what's cool? They can't stop it. Even if they banned cell phones, anyone with half a brain could strip the exterior, mount it to a suitcase, a tie, or a boot, and no body would ever know. And if they ignored such proof because it was under illegal means, sucks for that government. They're dead.

Basically government, end of your world. Straighten up or retire before you're caught.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This is really good in a 90 %, and bad in a 10 %.
Why? Good because LEOs have to really behave. Now they are at the other end of the rope.
Bad because there is that 10 % where LEOs are hated, and you have to keep you identity secret (like in San Diego, CA), they recognize you and they are going to start with you when you are off duty. Your car, house and family are now targets. Now you have to carry your gun with you at all time and might have to use it, to defend yourself and your family, because they know who you are and what you do.
I have to go for now.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join