It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The teaching is the teacher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Don't presume to be my teacher, or for that matter, anyones  teacher. 
You can't be, so shut up and listen. And listen. 

Listen for so long that you can mouth the words as they come from the seekers lips. Listen for so long that you become the seeker and the seeker marvels at himself. 

Listen until the time the seeker hears himself and you as one and can no longer tell the difference. Then and only then can the teaching within you reach out and be heard by the teacher within the seeker.

Until that time, shut up and listen.
edit on 7-7-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Typo

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Teaching is learning.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You remind me of Rumi.

S and F for you!

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire

Don't presume to be my teacher, or for that matter, anyones  teacher. 
You can't be, so shut up and listen. And listen. 

Listen for so long that you can mouth the words as they come from the seekers lips. Listen for so long that you become the seeker and the seeker marvels at himself. 

Listen until the time the seeker hears himself and you as one and can no longer tell the difference. Then and only then can the teaching within you reach out and be heard by the teacher within the seeker.

Until that time, shut up and listen.
edit on 7-7-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: Typo

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

I can only hope this makes Rumi happy.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

This is partly inspired by the spinning in my mind from our last conversation Justin.
Teaching is indeed learning.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Is this all just a bunch of globble-de-goop?? haha just kidding nice thread s&f

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

This is partly inspired by the spinning in my mind from our last conversation Justin.
Teaching is indeed learning.

haha! I suspected that.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Wise words there TM, good food for thought sir

May this will fall well upon grasshopper's ears.

Peace,
spec
edit on 7-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

Hey mb

Ya know one persons gobble-de-goop is another's deeply considered sense of reality. And who are we to say?
This tread was sparked by Smithjustins thoughts on another thread which no matter how he couched them just seemed gdg to me. I've found a number of his posts to be inspiring and challenging, so I know there is substance to them but this particular one just washed over me as gdg. And I'm glad he knows that.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks SO. I had nearly started this thread several times in the last few weeks but each time it didnt feel wu wei to me. This time it did.

By your avatar, you may be costal Oregon? I am of the Umpqua Basins and my avatar is a stone from our rivers.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a teacher can only inspire someone to learn for themselves ... a teacher is not one who injects information and thoughts into another ... thats the main problem with education today ... so OP you are completely right

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by mb2591

Hey mb

Ya know one persons gobble-de-goop is another's deeply considered sense of reality. And who are we to say?
This tread was sparked by Smithjustins thoughts on another thread which no matter how he couched them just seemed gdg to me. I've found a number of his posts to be inspiring and challenging, so I know there is substance to them but this particular one just washed over me as gdg. And I'm glad he knows that.

I guess I can't persuade you to see it the way I and others see it. I do understand that it is so foreign and so beyond conventional modern thinking, that it is hard to even consider.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

By your avatar, you may be costal Oregon? I am of the Umpqua Basins and my avatar is a stone from our rivers.

Well hey hey neighbor! I actually live up here in the valley around Eugene, but loves to get to the coast when I can. We are going razor clamming next week and I'm looking forward to it. Umpqua is a nice neck o the woods eh? I've heard a few Squatch stories from that area. I share your fondness of collecting river rocks/gems too, as well as those cool limb castings.
I moved out here from Louisiana to check it out and never left! I love this state!!

spec
ETA: Is that center piece stone natural or carved? Looks good either way

edit on 7-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It's natural. It took us several days to dig it out of the river bed and weighs about 700 lbs. Longer story in my profile.

I did a lot of rafting on the Rogue back in the 60's and also fell in love with the NW. We moved up here in 03 and almost never go away for vacation. This afternoon I have a choice of half a dozen swimming holes within 10 minutes of my place, so I and the grandkids will go swimming for the better part of the afternoon.

And Sasquatch? Those tales you hear? That' probably me skinny (but not so skinny) dipping in the evenings.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I guess I can't persuade you to see it the way I and others see it.

J. It's not a matter of deciding. It;s something else. And it's not a matter of being open minded or not. I don't think that anyones mind can or should travel too afar from it's natural trajectory. But that we can discuss later. My grandkids are clammoring to hit the river so its off to snorkling for the afternoon for me. Later, friend.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I guess I can't persuade you to see it the way I and others see it.

J. It's not a matter of deciding. It;s something else. And it's not a matter of being open minded or not. I don't think that anyones mind can or should travel too afar from it's natural trajectory. But that we can discuss later. My grandkids are clammoring to hit the river so its off to snorkling for the afternoon for me. Later, friend.

What exactly is a natural trajectory for the mind?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

J

To me there is no one size fits all. From my study, each of us is an outcome of our environment. This includes, dna, genes, parenting skills, family influences, neighborhood peers, etc on down the line, and our own will. which to many is also a product of environment.

I entertain the idea that our higher selves, our original selves, our implicate selves,( call it as you see it) direct themselves to a general environment for this human experience.

For a while I thought this experience might be open ended, that is without limit, that we as individual humans could just keep on expanding in whatever direction we took ourselves. However now, I think that I might have been too hopeful in this. In the examination of my own life I can see that the physical shortcomings I had as a child clearly took me off in directions that others did not go. I had asthma and many of the physical experiences that were available to others were well beyond my ability. I did not have these experiences or abilities and therefore my natural trajectory was different than say a star athlete.

As I grew older, I realized that in my life I made many decisions which lead me into certain experiences which led to the future guy I have become. I have taken many roads and left many more roads behind. All of these roads led to a different Terry.

Long ago I entertained the space between All and Nothing. I walked to the edge of it all an peered over the side into what I feared might be the Abyss. Nothing. And what I found was not nothing, just the incomprehensable to me.
At that time, well over 40 years ago, there was no ATS in which to talk with these things about. And anyone who could even consider these thoughts were nowhere I could reach them. It was cars and girls and stuff.

So I settled on this. All and no nothing. Just what I can't understand. This is fine by me until I meet people like you who have talk about nothing in ways that I can only relate to as something. Nothing as something. To me nothing had damn well better be nothing or it ain't nothing at all. It's something.

So J, I could go on and on and on about this, but it would only become more confusing and what I do think is that whatever this craziness All and Nothing that is established in my own mind is not something that I would wish to try and impart in any further confusing detail than this. I can easily allow for hollering from different mountain tops.

See? Don't see? Does it matter? I don't think so. You will just keep posting your wonderful threads an I will keep reading them and every now and then your far outness will not be to far out for me to tag along and marvel with you.

new topics

top topics

join