It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Caylee Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I did not know where to post this, so mods, please move at your will.

We all have heard of the tragedy of what happened to Caylee and Casey Anthony, and the ridiculous trial. Please sign this petition, so that this will never happen again.

www.thepetitionsite.com...
www.change.org...

Contact your Senator and Representative: there should be a new federal law created called Caylee's Law that will make it a federal offense for a parent or guardian to not notify law enforcement of a child going missing in a timely manner.
Let's keep another case like Caylee Anthony out of the courts.

The petition letter itself:

Create Caylee's Law, Not Reporting Child's Death Should Be a Felony

Greetings,

On July 5, 2011, at 1:15 pm CST, Casey Anthony was found not guilty of first degree murder in the death of her daughter Caylee Anthony. The only charges she now faces are four counts of falsifying police reports, each of which only carries a 1 year prison term. Since she has been in jail since August 2008, she will be out of jail ENTIRELY too soon.

I'm writing to propose that a new law be put into effect making it a felony for a parent, legal guardian, or caretaker to not notify law enforcement of the death of their child, accidental or otherwise, within 1 hour of said death being discovered. This way there will be no more cases like Casey Anthony's in the courts, and no more innocent children will have to go without justice.

Also, make it a felony for a parent, legal guardian, or caretaker to not notify law enforcement of the disappearance of a child within 24 hours, so proper steps can be taken to find that child before it's too late.

The case of Caylee Anthony was tragic, and there is no reason for another case like this one to hit the courts. Let's do what is necessary to prevent another case like this from happening.

(Your name)

Please sign the petitions. We can make this happen. Do not let Caylee Anthony happen again.

SeraphNB

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
People let Caylee down. God will NOT. Justice WILL prevail. Let's not let this ever happen again, to another Innocent Helpless Child.

Des

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Soooo because of this case we're going to give the government even more rights to come into our homes, separate us from our children, take control of our children, imprison parents, etc?

Honestly, I see your point and I applaud you for it, but really, how far down the 'Nanny State' road are we going to go before our children are not even our own anymore?

peace

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Ok, so I consider myself to be of a progressive mind set and typically approve of laws that help people (such as speed limits, safety belt laws, gun regulation, high taxes on the rich, etc.) and laws that help regulate big business. But this law is just another brick in the wall of a police state. To make it so that parents and legal guardians must notify authorities within 24 hours of child going missing is ludicrous. Anybody who has ever been a teenager (and I'm assuming that's most of us) has at least thought about running away from home, or has done it. To vilify the parents in this situation is wrong. What if a child runs away from abusive parents? There are too many "ifs" in situations like this.

IF YOU ENJOY CIVIL LIBERTIES YOU WILL NOT BACK THIS LAW

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
You could have posted it in the other thread.

Had a good discussion about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

I'm not signing this. Unfortunate as it is about Caylee, this thing needs some revision.

I'm writing to propose that a new law be put into effect making it a felony for a parent, legal guardian, or caretaker to not notify law enforcement of the death of their child, accidental or otherwise, within 1 hour of said death being discovered.

Accidents should not merit felonies.

Also, make it a felony for a parent, legal guardian, or caretaker to not notify law enforcement of the disappearance of a child within 24 hours, so proper steps can be taken to find that child before it's too late.

Define the age of the child. I believe that some authorities do not even bother looking until 3 days have passed for a certain age.

The case of Caylee Anthony was tragic, and there is no reason for another case like this one to hit the courts. Let's do what is necessary to prevent another case like this from happening.

They would go to court regardless.

For me, this is too much control over, more so than we already have, and will do more harm than good.

Do not let Caylee Anthony happen again.

A case like Caylee Anthony will happen again. Just because you enforce a law, although it may discourage some, does not mean nothing will happen. Abuse is still a problem that goes largely undetected.

And what about Abortion? What about all the children who are murdered before they become beautiful children who grow up to become wonderful and amazing people? People get outraged over Caylee Anythony, because her life was cut short, but what of those who did not even get the chance to live?

Does society turn a blind eye to one thing, but harshly enforce another?

/rant off
edit on 7-7-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

I agree it needs revision. But, when has a law ever been made that hasn't been through a lengthy revision review board.

How is this so different than the Amber Alert. That took years to establish. I'm sorry, but if this saves the life of one single child, and I can also see the possibility of it being a deterrent in taking a child's life...then I'm willing to see where it goes.

Des

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

Great. More ignorance of sheep who didn't watch the trial and is basing their claims off sensationalistic media.

While I agree with the concept of the law...it does need to be revised.

BTW people....If someone is found not guilty...than justice was served.
Maybe the poor girls death was an accident. The state couldnt prove it wasn't....what makes you think your right? DO you have evidence that wasn't admitted?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a mod closed the other thread. I don't know why, the discussion seemed to be about the fact that someone is trying to get a petition i didn't see the OP do more than post the story. There was no call for membership here to sign the petition. A little Moderator overzealousness methinks.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
a mod closed the other thread. I don't know why, the discussion seemed to be about the fact that someone is trying to get a petition i didn't see the OP do more than post the story. There was no call for membership here to sign the petition. A little Moderator overzealousness methinks.

Actually the op is asking for people to sign at the end of his post. I'd imagine this will be locked up shortly also then.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I was talking about the locked post this one should definately be locked.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Funny the other thread was a discussion while this one is a blatant call for signatures yet the other was shut down and this one remains.

Not for long I imagine.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I was talking about the locked post this one should definately be locked.

Oh well....Guess i still have the Freedom to THINK this might actually have some benefit to another Innocent Child. Just not post about it.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Lionhearte

I agree it needs revision. But, when has a law ever been made that hasn't been through a lengthy revision review board.

That's precisely why I don't want to sign this. Whenever it goes through revision and review, there's always the chance that a hidden clause would be added that would add more control over the people.

It may start off simple, "Alert authorities within 24 hours, or receive a felony", but can soon turn into, "Alert authorities within 24 hours, or both all parents/guardians receive a felony and have the child, if found, taken away from the parents/guardians"

What good would that do if it was an accident, or a teenager who ran away?

How is this so different than the Amber Alert. That took years to establish. I'm sorry, but if this saves the life of one single child, and I can also see the possibility of it being a deterrent in taking a child's life...then I'm willing to see where it goes.

As I said, it's a question of if it would do more harm than good. As it stands, this Bill is designed from the case of Caylee Anthony, which begs the question if it is more emotional thinking that influenced this Bill, instead of rational thinking.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Oh well....Guess i still have the Freedom to THINK this might actually have some benefit to another Innocent Child. Just not post about it.

If you want so save innocent children go make a law that prevents us from throwing away food and water each day and letting THOUSANDS of children starve to death every day.

Isn´t sensationalist enough by the media?

Ok sorry ...go on with burning witches...

edit on 7-7-2011 by AnnoyingOrangeX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have to agree with several of the above posters, this proposed law is just more flak because the woman was found innocent.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AnnoyingOrangeX

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. I was walking over to our cafeteria and I was being bothered by a couple of gnats. It was very frustrating, and it is hot today, and I was getting pretty angry, and for some reason I thought of those commercials where the kids are covered in gnats and flies. They have no cool water to go jump into and rinse off, no relief from the frustrating bugs or heat. They aren't on their way to go get 2 big chicken breasts and some sweet tea, and yet there I was feeling angry about 2 little gnats on my 2 minute walk between air conditioned buildings.

We don't need more laws. We need more responsibility, and we need people to pitch in and work together, and put some things in perspective. Open our eyes a little.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
IDK WTF people here at ATS are thinking, if my child went missing I would not wait 1 hour much less wait more than 24 hours to report my child missing.
What kind of sorry ass parents have we got here at ATS??
I really do hope some of you guys never procreate or never have GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!!!

ETA If not guilty of murder she is most definately guilty of GROSS NEGLIGENCE!!!!
edit on 7-7-2011 by ldyserenity because: to add

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I agree, but that isn't the issue. We don't need more laws, there are already plenty of laws. The prosecution could easily have proven child neglect and/or child abandonment.

This 4 year penalty for lying to a police officer, and the talk of making this a potential life sentence to substitute for not being able to get a conviction on the real murder is ridiculous! We are just painting ourselves into a corner. We have jury trials for a reason, we can't start legislating around them to make it easier and easier to put people in jail. The US already has the highest prison population in the world.

Enforce the existing laws, don't make more and more and more and more and more until everything is a crime.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Whether she had a babysitter or not, she still told her brother Lee that it was all her fault because she left her daughter with someone she didn't trust (Zanny the Nanny).

Who in their right mind leaves their child with someone they don't trust?
Maybe she was speaking about herself.

top topics

join