It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toledo police stopping anyone who "looks suspicious" with special task force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

"We are bringing in extra officers," he said. "We will be paying them overtime. It will be predominately during the nighttime hours. This is absolutely necessary in order to get a handle on what has happened in the last weeks.

With the new task force, those officers will make several traffic stops, and stop those who are traveling in groups or look suspicious, the police chief said.

www.foxtoledo.com...

It's like they arent even pretending people have rights anymore.

Can I see a criteria of "suspicious"?

This is my favorite part:

This idea might upset some residents, but Chief Navarre said on Monday it has to be done. He plans to speak to the Toledo chapter of the NAACP and church leaders to get their support.

So I guess suspicious = non-white?

Oh how far we've come.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It's the same as the TSA mentality, all based on hypothetical possible scenarios that may, or may not happen.
That has no end in sight, it can expand to random home searches, bodily searches anywhere & everywhere, it's a slow boil of a frog metaphor.
We can't fight this individually, yet that is how we are being attacked by this mentality.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Interesting! We are now beginning to see the aftermath from the recent swell in flash mob crime that is happening all around the country. This is apparently the only way the Police can proactively prevent these events from happening. I've gotta be honest, as a parent, and say that a car packed with teens late at night is rarely a good thing and always gets my attention if I see it. Nothing good happens after midnight now or 22 years ago when I was in high school. This past holiday weekend the headlines were littered with stories similar to those coming out of Toledo. Shootings, robberies, and all out rumbles.

Its a slippery slope and the other, non parental, side of my brain understands the legal issues with this type of action. Just like with mandatory sobriety checkpoints on public roads. However, many cities have been left just baffled by flash mobs that strike and disappear within minutes. I certainly don't want to see these events lead to any gun grabber legislation either.

What else can be done to actually prevent these events from happening with greater frequency and an increase in violence and crowd size?? One big twitter blast and boom! Who would have thought? It's no longer amusing acts of random dancing and singing.

Granted not all events are of the flash mob variety but there is no denying the increase or at least the publicity increase of the vilolent gun related crimes. Perhaps that's part of the plan by placing any and all gun related crimes in the headlines to pave the way for fear to take over the majority. Then in come the legislators riding in on their white horses to legislate the "problem" away.
edit on 7-7-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
That has no end in sight, it can expand to random home searches, bodily searches anywhere & everywhere, it's a slow boil of a frog metaphor.
We can't fight this individually, yet that is how we are being attacked by this mentality.

This reminds me of the future human race. We'll all be olive skinned with brown hair and brown eyes due to the constant mixing and melding.

So the future of law enforcement will be "suspicious" taskforces, no warrant entries as in Indiana, paramilitary gear and guns always drawn as in the constant militarization of every force, Dredd style judge/jury/executions as these random enterings and increased justifications for the enterings put armed cop in direct confrontation with armed homeowner.

The future of law enforcement is essentially going to be random violence against citizens. Always excused and rationalized.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

So I guess suspicious = non-white?

Oh how far we've come.

nothing new about that around here as I'm sure you know well. Is kinda strange to see the police blatantly tearing the constitution to shreds though when its been done federally for our protection who's to be surprised really?

shame

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
All these golfing CEOs and politicians have been carving these modern countries up for decades. They create the problems in society, then we cry out to them for a solution, and they have a solution all set and ready to go (ie- Iraq invasion for WMDs)... TPTB expected this reaction from the destruction of morals and the economy, I hate to keep bringing up the Orwell 1984 metaphor, but it's pretty blatant.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
SS anyone?

This idea might upset some residents, but Chief Navarre said on Monday it has to be done. He plans to speak to the Toledo chapter of the NAACP and church leaders to get their support.

Church Leaders.

Do you see those two words? Religious people are going to be duped again. After that you'll see religious people coming here saying how it's in line with "the word of god" etc etc.

America you have Lost. Completely L O S T.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
(from the OP article)

Chief Navarre wants to make Toledo's streets safer by getting ride of illegal weapons.

For the first time in the department's history, it is offering a $1,000 reward to anyone with the information to make that happen that leads to an arrest and conviction of a person in the Glass City who illegally possess a firearm.

has anyone considered this:

Your Local Police May Be Selling Confiscated Guns
•Guns confiscated by police in Tennessee were involved in crimes in Las Vegas and at the Pentagon
•In some states like Tennessee, police departments sell confiscated guns to raise money for needed equipment
•Many states require the destruction of confiscated weapons
•It's a double-edged sword: Money in the coffers or guns in the hands of criminals
•You can make a difference in your community, but understand the price

In some states, like Tennessee, the law requires police departments to sell guns confiscated in criminal investigations. In other states, such as California and Colorado, the police departments have the option of selling confiscated guns. Many states are like New Hampshire where confiscated weapons have to be destroyed.

In most states where sales are held, the guns must be safe, operable, have identifiable serial numbers, and the owner has to have been convicted of a crime, or the gun has to have been abandoned, lost, or stolen with no chance of finding the owner.

In states where confiscated guns are sold or auctioned, it's not uncommon for them to wind up in the hands of gun-shop owners who then try to sell them to customers. Individuals may also buy the guns and try to sell or trade them at "gun shows" held in cities and towns across the US.

link

(from March 2010)

WASHINGTON — Two guns used in high-profile shootings this year at the Pentagon and a Las Vegas courthouse both came from the same unlikely place: the police and court system of Memphis, Tenn.

Law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that both guns were once seized in criminal cases in Memphis. The officials described how the weapons made their separate ways from an evidence vault to gun dealers and to the shooters.....

A spokeswoman for the Memphis police said gun swaps are a way to save taxpayer money.

One of the weapons in the Pentagon attack was seized by Memphis police in 2005 and later traded to a gun dealer; the gun used in the Jan. 4 courthouse shooting in Las Vegas as sold by a judge's order and the proceeds given to the Memphis-area sheriff's office. Neither weapon was sold by the Memphis law enforcement agencies directly to the men who later used them to shoot officers.

In both cases, the weapons first went to licensed gun dealers, but later came into the hands of men who were legally barred from possessing them: one a convicted felon; the other mentally ill.

Seized Guns

best of both worlds?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is totally insane, do people have any freedom anymore.
It feels like a total 1984 scenario.
Seriously right now people are being stopped because they look ''suspicious'' what's going to happen in the future people are going to be denied entry to places for looking suspicious? taken into custody for looking suspicious?
Seriously what is going on with the world these days

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This...

Dredd style judge/jury/executions as these random enterings and increased justifications for the enterings put armed cop in direct confrontation with armed homeowner.

And this...

The future of law enforcement is essentially going to be random violence against citizens. Always excused and rationalized.

Exactly my thoughts

top topics

join