It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Looking Fighter / Bomber Aircraft?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The coolest looking aircraft? I can't believe I'm the first to say this but, going generationally, I love the look of the Hawker Fury, Spitfire F.24, F.86 Sabre, Hawker P1121, MiG 'Flipper', F.14 Tomcat, Typhoon and ALL Flanker and Flanker derived types, even the Su-47.

For Bombers I like the look of the Heyford, Wellington, B-29, Vulcan B.2 (the ONLY 'B.2' worth gawping at :lol
Tu-95 and Convair B-58.

I'm such a plane nut that there are so many and I know for a fact I'll see many other types and think "Ooh, I should have listed that!"

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
All the best looking aricraft were manufactured PRIOR TO THE KOREAN WAR!

Polikarpov I-16, Supermarine Spitfire, ME-109, ME-262, Mitsubishi A6M Zero, F4U Corsair, F6F Hellcat, P-51 Mustang, Yak 7&9, Lavochkin 5&7, Mig 3, Macci MC.200 Saeta, Lagg 3, IL-2/10 Sturmovik, Fiat G.55 Centauro, Macci MC.202 and 205v. I apologise to all the beautiful planes of WW2 that I have failed to acknowledge.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
West point, you rock! My only complain is I was refering tot he CIA's A-12 not the avenger II.

Me too I was talking about the CIA A-12 then I change my vote to the SR-71 for classic cool looking

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

West point, you rock! My only complain is I was refering tot he CIA's A-12 not the avenger II.

FredT I tried to find a picture of a the CIA's A-12 but I couldent. If anyone has a picture of it can you post it.

WestPoint, Out

[edit on 12-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

A-11/A-12

YF-12

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
no, you guyz all suck

SU-32/34 is the best!! (mi avatar
)

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
That is a cool looking plane Titus for sure. Very Interesting color I have never seen that before on a plane. I personally like the SU-47 for fighter though.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
That is a cool looking plane Titus for sure. Very Interesting color I have never seen that before on a plane. I personally like the SU-47 for fighter though.

I like the basic Flanker Fighter derivatives, but that one looks like a flanker with hydrocephalus

[edit on 12-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Great Picks Shadow. The A-12 on top was one of the earlier ones. Look at the tails, they aare titanium. They eventually replaced the tales with composite ones. The YF-12 had a large ventral fin on the bottom to compensate for the loss of stability due to the modified chines that housed its IR sensors.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by titus
SU-32/34 is the best!! (mi avatar
)

Titus, whats in the big rear pod of the Su-34?

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Titus, whats in the big rear pod of the Su-34?

It's the hyperdrive (FTL travel).

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That, I believe, is a rear facing radar that cleverly allows you to track scan and shoot down your enemy while flying away from them. One trick the Raptor does not have. Or any other fighter come to that. The only other instance of a rearwards facing radar I am aware of was the one in the back of the Vulcan B.1A & B.2 that guided the Blue Steel while the Vulcan was leaving.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
That, I believe, is a rear facing radar

indeed this is radar. notice that most flankers if not all have this feature.

rear radar combined with rearward firing missile is a deadly thing to have. dont have to do those cobras and all

EDIT: forgot to say this missile is also 'fire-forget' one

IMHO my second best looking is SR-71

[edit on 12-8-2004 by titus]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Great Picks Shadow. The A-12 on top was one of the earlier ones. Look at the tails, they aare titanium. They eventually replaced the tales with composite ones. The YF-12 had a large ventral fin on the bottom to compensate for the loss of stability due to the modified chines that housed its IR sensors.

Thanks for explaining what that was under the YF-12 I saw this picture of it had no clue what those were.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The large tube in the front is part of the "COLD WALL" experiments that NASA conducted. It studied heat transfer. It blew off a covering at altitude and then took measurments. The pod on the each side of the engines I will have o get back to you on.

They found that the stability of the plane was okay and the central ventral fin was not necessary.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Aw, come on! No one here shares my love for the F-4 Phantom?

jra

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
did you not see my post GradyPhilpott? I love the look of the F-4

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
F-4 Phantom: I don't know what it is about this aircraft, but i think it just looks great. I think it's the big intakes on the side and also how the wings flare upwards at the ends.

Whoops! You really hit the nail on the head. I would only add the downward slope of the rear stablizers.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Isn't the big arse pod on the back of the Su-34 the parachute? I always thought it was. Also Waynos the Raptor does not need any back firing radar cut it will never be running from anything the Raptor chases planes away and kills them before they know its there so it unnecessary

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Aw, come on! No one here shares my love for the F-4 Phantom?

I think the F-4 was a cool looking plane. If it had saved my butt im sure it would be the best looking plane in my eyes

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join