It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Looking Fighter / Bomber Aircraft?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Good thing, he killed them, they all were juste waste of money.

You could make a case for the XB-70 and the F108, but the YF-12 Interceptor and the B-12 version would have augmented our force structure for years and may very well still be in service today.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

The Horton Flying wing was impressive given the limitations they had with getting materials. What ever happened to the Horton Brothers?

[edit on 12-8-2004 by FredT]

Walter and Reimer Horten emigrated to Argentina as the war ended. Where they continued designing and building airplanes. Reimar died in 1994, while Walter died in 1998.

Its seems they had a third brother, Wolfram, was killed flying a bomber over Dunkirk

To bad America didnt get these guys with US money they might have made some great planes for us.
www.fact-index.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

They were awed. Intel people at debriefings thought they were having shell shock when they described propless fighters.

The pilots must have been shocked but not the Intel people we knew Germany had jet planes and the United States first jet fighter/plane was produced in 1943 by Lockheed I think nay one got any more info on this?

Good thing, he killed them, they all were juste waste of money.

-Oh we got another John Kerry in the forum-
They were not a waste of money they were ahead of their time in propulsion and design. And would have been great planes if that idiot McNamara hadn't canceled them.

Well the intel guys who sit there and record what the pilots observed were basically just clerks. Since no one had satellite intel I doubt the Allies knew everything about the ME-262.

Also, Rumsfeld killed the Crusader, so bag on him.
Sometimes decisions have to be made about where the DoD will place it's billions on certain war machines to establish our overall war strategies. The Crusader doesn't fit into the new fast and light ideals so it was canned.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Most definately the SR-71 Blackbird.

It is truely the single most pleasing piece of eye candy; since Kylie's Arse!

Thats' saying something!

Boondog

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I'm biased, but I'm going to have to say none of the above, having been in very close proximity to countess airstrikes in Vietnam carried out by F-4 Phantoms. During one such airstrike at Liberty Bridge on the road to An Hoa, the Phantoms were flying directly over my position strafing the enemy. Since the enemy was in such proximity to our position separated only by the river, the Phantoms were flying at what seemed to be "treetop level" or lower. It was dark and they were not visible to us except for their exhaust, but it was not wise to raise one's head, as the small arms fire was significant. The only Marines returning fire were .50 cal. machine guns, set up along the perimeter adjacent to the river. When the Phantoms arrived, all friendly small arms fire was ceased.

After the strike, the enemy having been annihilated and not having watch that night, I chose to "crash" in the same position I had assumed at the time of the strike. The next morning, not two feet from where I had slept, an unfired 20mm cannon round was imbedded into the ground. Clearly, if this round had landed two feet to the right, relative to the direction of flight, this round would have been fatal--not really the way one would choose to go in combat.

These rounds are really quite remarkable and this was the first I had ever held. It looks like a miniature artillery fixed-round and essentially that's what it is. It has a brass casing. a little fuse and like all HE (high explosive) rounds, it is painted green with yellow markings. It did not explode on impact because it was unfired and therefore the fuse was, as yet, unarmed, as it takes a given number of revolutions for the fuse to arm. Automatic weapons, especially the .50 cal., will sometimes spit out an unfired round, for reasons that are still unclear to me.

When your life depends on such an aircraft and your relationship is so intimate, it's easy to fall into lasting love. I would place the design of the Phantom in the catagory with the 1967 Mustang Fastback. Clearly dated, but timeless none-the-less.

Some links:

www.military.cz...

www.military.cz...

www.ctrl-c.liu.se...

www.skybluephoto.com...

members.xoom.virgilio.it...

www.mrprophead.com...

www.tayyareci.com...

www.arance.net...

www.bobpenoyer.com...

[edit on 04/8/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Come on FREDT, You cant seriously tell me that the A-10 is a good lookin streamlined designed aircraft. It didn't get the name warthog cause of its good looks.

It's a good aircraft i'll give it that, but lookin good is a diferent story.

Even its maker said it's the uglyest plane he ever made.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
B-1B. That is one sexy plane. I wonder why they don't use it more. It's not stealth, but it's supposed to be pretty "stealthy".

It is my understanding the the B-1B was used to good effect in Afghanistan. It's wing design allows it to fly at supersonic speed to the tactical area and then fly low and slow for more effective bombing.

[edit on 04/8/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Come on FREDT, You cant seriously tell me that the A-10 is a good lookin streamlined designed aircraft. It didn't get the name warthog cause of its good looks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You want proof? My wife married me

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Greetings,

I love the look of the Flanker, the new Eurofighter looks like some thing a 4 year old would knock off so I am not overly impressed, I like the Buff too, you just gota love a design that can fly for that long and still be seen to be bouncing around the skys.

Plus you can't beat the Spitfires, from the early models to the late war ones

- Phil

PS, Best looking helos are the Merlin EH 101 and then Super Jolly Green!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   

SO what do people feel are the best looking military plane ever produced?

1) YF-23 Black Widow II
2) XB-70
3) Su-47
4) F-16XL
5) B-1B
6) B-2 Fronm the top, the side view is ugly
7) A-12
8)M-21/D-21 Combo

Pictures would be nice...... I would choose the B-2 Bomber because it is truly a modern marvel.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpockO_o
Pictures would be nice...... I would choose the B-2 Bomber because it is truly a modern marvel.

Sorry Spock, I do not have enough storage space for all of those beasts. The B-2 is pretty cool unless you are looking at it from the side. My farite pick is the overhead with it tanking from a KC-10. You really get a look at that huge wingspan.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
WARNING!!! All Dial Up uses beware.

Did Someone say pictures? Your wish is my command take your pick folks.

YF-23 BlackWidow II

XB-70

Su-37

F-16XL

B-1 Lancer

B-2 Spirit/b]

A-12

M-21/D-21

F-35 JSF

EF-2000 Typhoon

F/A-22 Raptor

SR-71 Blackbird

And I leave you with this picture

[edit on 12-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
West point, you rock! My only complain is I was refering tot he CIA's A-12 not the avenger II.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
All stealth bombers and fighters look cool. F-22 best looking

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by qwzxas
All stealth bombers and fighters look cool. F-22 best looking

I don't know, Tacit Blue was an ugly mother!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

West point, you rock! My only complain is I was refering tot he CIA's A-12 not the avenger II.

FredT I tried to find a picture of a the CIA's A-12 but I couldent. If anyone has a picture of it can you post it.

WestPoint, Out

[edit on 12-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The Vulcan has always been my favourite from seeing them as a boy at airshow's around the UK. They were manufactured by Avro and created as one of the UK's earliest strategic nuclear bombers.

See this link for a photo gallery (thumbnails down the left hand side)

www.avrovulcan.org.uk...

HTMB

**Edited**

[edit on 12-8-2004 by HeyThatsMyBike]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Bomber?

B-1B. That is one sexy plane. I wonder why they don't use it more. It's not stealth, but it's supposed to be pretty "stealthy".

I agree....

Fighter?

XB-70, (Don't tell dad, hehe...)

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
FredT I tried to find a picture of a the CIA's A-12 but I couldent. If anyone has a picture of it can you post it.

Actually if you want to get technical the 2 seater you have in one of the picks is a 2 seat A-12 refered to as "The Titianium Goose" the raised 2nd cockpit was for the instructor. It never wnet fast as it was equiped with J-78's I think instead of the more powerfull J-58's

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
On Topic:

I think the best looking fighters/bombers ever made are
(in no particular order they all rock equally in my eyes)

F-16
B-52
F-4
F-22
YF-23
F-15 Active
P-51
B-1
B-2
F-117

Non Fighter sexy planes include
Sr-71/A-12
Concorde

I just thought id share some pics with you guys from my recent trip to the Intrepid. I know theese arent the most modern planes but still good looking aircraft none the less

Enjoy
(was going to post them all here but those of yuo who are on dial up are gonna get killed! so heres the link to the index!)

Intrepid Pics

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join