It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Employers Want Me To Do What!?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I saw a note on the bulletin board that encouraged us employees to "friend" them on Facebook, then to "Like" them and also to follow them on Twitter. They were asking all employees to do that! I was kind of shocked! I said "Hell No!" I have to put up with them 8 to 10 hours a day, they don't need to be in my business off the clock.

How would you guys react if your company asked the same?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

Well, the way I see it is, work and personal life have to be separate depending on the job, however if your a doctor or something along those lines where work has to be in your personal life then I would say, roll with it. But I would be extremely shocked if they asked me to meld my life with others by force, I would literally say "Hell no!" like you.

So I agree, work is work, the whole point of it is to do your part and move on.

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

not a bloody chance
and if i was threatend with the sack
id simply create another f/b account
regards....dave

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

I'd just ignore it all.
Go about my business.
What's the problem?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
does facebook and twitter have an associate program that your company can make money on for you joining????

I don't do facebook, or twitter,,,
and facebook has had some not so nice things said about them about privacy issues...
so, no, I don't believe my company has the authority to pressure me into joining them!!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Send them a written quote for normal wages X2 (overtime) for turning on the computer, logging onto the internet, creating an account, logging onto facebook, etc etc and doing what they are asking.

Ask for conformation in writing for this and THEN agree to do it.

After all....business is business and time is money.
Or just remove the bulletin

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
A lot of businesses these days will try to "keep tabs" on their employees' activities away from work via this sort of stuff. Better watch out if you want to let off steam about what a knuckle-dragging coprophagic moron your boss is.

Personally I find the notion vile.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
I saw a note on the bulletin board that encouraged us employees to "friend" them on Facebook, then to "Like" them

Could be worse.
There was one bank in Australia earlier this year that threatened employees with the sack if they didnt notify their employer that someone on facebook didnt like them.

"For example, your friend could post an inappropriate comment about the group on your Facebook page or create a blog about the group,
Failure to comply with this policy is a serious disciplinary matter and may result in disciplinary action being taken against you, which may include the termination of your employment,
AUS

All good reasons to not use social media that employers have ever heard of.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

How would I react? When no one is looking, I would remove the note & dispose of it. After that I'd carry on about my business.

No kidding.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
just open a fake account place a random photo and friend and like all of them and then simply never log into again and make sure you tell them that you and computers are like fire and water. Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It is never a good idea to "friend" your employer on any social network online. That being said, unless you are looking to lose your job, it is never a good idea to vent or complaine about work on a social network. Whether you are "friends" with your employer or not. A lot of other people will see it and word spreads. Just call a friend and vent. Don't put it online.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

That can be a bit dicey. I had a relative who was called in to talk to HR for refusing to join her companies facebook, and making a remark along similar lines as you (“I deal with you people 40 hours a week, I don’t want you in my private time as well”). The really bad thing about friending them is that many have been known to hold off-duty activities against employees, and HR departments used to go looking for peoples open Myspace and Facebook pages to see how their employees represented themselves on their private time and what they were doing that might affect their job performance (i.e. “yeah he is calling in sick today because he went out partying all weekend”, “Oh, there is a picture of him/her doing something that appears very unprofessional, what would a client think of this if they came across it?”)

Another thing to be very careful with, that many folks do not think about, is posting to job boards. I had another relative who was fired by a big pharmaceutical company because they found an online resume from a different relative with the same initials that also worked in the medical field. After the mistake was discovered and a lawsuit threatened, they allowed him to come back to work just long enough to find some other reason to justify firing him again. We are pretty sure that this also related to his use of myspace during his private time, and his public posting of all his private activities, which the company did not like.

I recommend that you make a second facebook page for professional use only, with a very professional looking avatar picture, and use that account to friend them.

edit on 7/7/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This thread reminded me of the link below, shows the dangers involved and makes it clear that facebook and work dont mix. I had a few problems with workmates I had added gossiping so deleted all workmates and made it clear it wasnt personal but I didnt want them knowing all my personal business.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

One day, at my previous job, my boss said, "I saw you posted 'something' on Facebook yesterday." I was a little creeped out since he wasn't on my friend list. I asked him why he was looking at my facebook and he stated he didn't mean to, but that it just popped up as a friend recommendation. That night, I changed my settings so that you had to be a friend to see my activity. Several days later, he said, "oh, I saw you commented on 'so and so's' post yesterday. Unfortunately, this was a mutual friend so he was able to weasel into that one. At that point, I figured I would just friend him because he was obviously not going to stop. Really pissed me off. Occasionally, I'd post things just to piss him off because I knew he was monitoring it.

Then, there was another incident. I was a Manager, and so I had about 20 employees working directly for me. He informed me one day that one of my employees posted on facebook that she was going to quit. I just ignored it, because I am strongly against corporations spying on their employees. As it turns out, she did not quit, but by the time she arrived at work, had already been told by another employee that her facebook was being discussed and I was stuck apologizing and trying to explain why. After that, I called my boss and told him that in the future, whatever intelligence gathering he did via social networking was not of any interest to me and he should keep it to himself.

The funny thing is, she still works there, and I'm the one who quit.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Personally I would laugh at them over such a silly notion.. and that is where I would leave the matter.

But I have known businesses ask their staff for their personal email addies so they can use those addies in the marketing department to "bump up" their standing in industry/market stream competitions.. *shakes head*

So just throwing that concept of market manipulation into the pot.. perhaps getting you to "like" them on facebook et al is in some way part of a marketing strategy. besides opening the door for them to view your private info.

One bit of warning I generally share with friends is to be wary of using hyperlinks in any work related email sent to your private email as marketing software can track your click throughs and build a surfing habit from that email.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
My employer has joined FB and twitter and I refuse to follow, like or have any association with them. They have it posted on the computers home pages but there is no strong arming to follow them.
I am not even inclined to be friends with coworkers on FB but if they ask I usually do. No supervisors or bosses...ever.

My daughters job with a national clothing store wished her a nice day at work on twitter. Creepy since she doesn't follow them.

I suggest you stay far away, a company the just about demands you follow/like them is up to no good

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Interesting responses guys. Some of those shared stories kind of creeped me out. I guess this is what its coming to huh? If by chance they start making people join, I will do as suggested and make a dummy account. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
There is nothing really new about this type of spying, it started to become a big deal back when Myspace first hit the web. Companies arguably have a right to check on what you post online as you represent them as one of their agents, even on your private time, and anything you publicly post can affect their reputation with clients. That is why its never a good idea to post a lot of personal info online, or to do most of your posting either anonymously or in a secured environment.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Perhaps a good analogy to this, is isn't it considered a bit taboo to add your teacher's to Facebook.

Or at-least that's what i heard (or thought); Although i haven't used Facebook for years.

Maybe Work and Facebook Don't mix (or at-least certain work places and Facebook)
edit on 7-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Another piece of advice, as long as we are on this topic.
I never post my real info or clear photos of myself on any forum, including ATS, which contains controversial topics. Doing so makes you a target for your employer based on your opinions of those topics that they themselves, or their clients, may not agree with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join