It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Food Companies That Serve You Wood

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
we all know that almost all products sold these days are made up of some industrial compound so it should not shock any of us. Oh how i look forward to the day i retire to the far away place of the farm....but sadly i am still located within cities eating away the cancer infested fruit and meat. The only form of fresh food i do get close to eating is when i scuba fish.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Dont want to eat wood? Find a deer. Use a fishing pole. Nobody is forcing you to eat fastfood or anything from the grocery store.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
ATS members happy about wood being added to their food? Who would've known it

The key here is figuring out whether wood/sawdust is actively being added to foods or is naturally occuring. This is difficult when wood is classified merely as cellulose.

Also wood is dangerous, believe it or not. I'm allergic to pine wood which is extremely common and cheap, it is used as wood shavings in pet stores. If I get near that stuff my asthma starts up in a big way. If I wanted to commit suicide I'd probably go and eat some wood shavings.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by Lightrule

You do realize that you are still eating cellulose, even with organic and raw foods, right?

The problem isn't the cellulose, the problem is that cellulose is a broad term which allows companies to legally add sawdust to food if they wanted to.

What's difficult about this?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

I agree with you. The FDA also said Saccharine was a passive ingredient as well, until we discovered it caused cancer. If wood pulp was ok to eat, our ancestors would have been harvesting it for our daily consumption. Just because science can break something down to a molecular level and claim it won't hurt us, doesn't mean we should ingest it! And since when do people on this board believe what the FDA and USDA say? Some of you becoming sheeple on us?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
If wood pulp was ok to eat, our ancestors would have been harvesting it for our daily consumption.
If you are talking about the topic if this thread, which is cellulose, and yes wood is composed of cellulose, then yes our ancestors ate it, unless you think they never ate any whole grains or fruits which are high in cellulose:

Nutrition

Dietary fiber is a carbohydrate (or a polysaccharide) that is incompletely absorbed in humans and in some animals. Like all carbohydrates, when it is metabolized it can produce four Calories (kilocalories) of energy per gram. However, in most circumstances it accounts for less than that because of its limited absorption and digestibility. Dietary fiber consists mainly of cellulose, a large carbohydrate polymer that is indigestible because humans do not have the required enzymes to disassemble it. There are two subcategories: soluble and insoluble fiber. Whole grains, fruits (especially plums, prunes, and figs), and vegetables are good sources of dietary fiber. There are many health benefits of a high-fiber diet.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I was wondering if ----- guar gum and xanthan gum ----- would be the same thing. All these gums. Merely look at the tiny print list of ingredients on your icecream and eggnog.
I have seen previous poster say, "so what, it's harmless..." But these gums are not accepted by my physiology. They give me the most HORRID gas, which is very aggressive, active, and goes on for hours.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

There are different types of cellulose. Wood pulp is not digestible, so that tells me that it should not be eaten. Marbles are not digestible either so would you eat them as well?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
I have seen previous poster say, "so what, it's harmless..." But these gums are not accepted by my physiology. They give me the most HORRID gas, which is very aggressive, active, and goes on for hours.
Actually, gas is one of the known symptoms of fiber consumption, and yes there are variations from person to person on how much gas any particular fiber causes:

www.medicinenet.com...

All fibers, no matter their source, can cause flatulence; however, since bacteria vary in their ability to digest different types of fiber, different sources of fiber may produce different amounts of gas. To complicate the situation, the ability of bacteria to digest one type of fiber can vary from individual to individual. This makes the selection of the best type of fiber for each individual (i.e., a fiber that improves the quality of the stool without causing flatulence) more difficult. The choice becomes a matter of trial and error.

edit on 7-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Right here folks....coming to a home near you.....organic wood fibers.....delicious! (sarcasm)

This is just another reason...to add to my list....why I am buying and cooking whole foods and not eating in most restaurants...I am working on eliminating the majority of processed foods from my diet

You may wonder...why not most restaurants....? Because of the sodium they add to their food.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I'm with ya on that! I started switching over a couple of months ago. Already I am seeing positive changes. I sleep better at night, have more energy and have actually lost weight (11lbs) without doing any exercise!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by avocadoshag

Not surprising at all, is it? We're getting closer to the "Soylent Green" concept.

Pretty big leap there i think. Its one thing to put trees in our food, another entirely to put people in it!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

And you know that the processed meat you buy is REAL animal meat how?
Makes you think!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

There are different types of cellulose. Wood pulp is not digestible, so that tells me that it should not be eaten.
You need indigestible substance in your diet. The reason is that if it's digestible, your body turns it into more or less a liquid which if not accompanied by indigestible fiber, poses several problems. The sugars may be extracted too quickly, and you may end up becoming diabetic.

Dietary Fiber

Dietary fiber, dietary fibre or sometimes roughage is the indigestible portion of plant foods having two main components:

* soluble (prebiotic, viscous) fiber that is readily fermented in the colon into gases and physiologically active byproducts, and
* insoluble fiber that is metabolically inert, absorbing water as it moves through the digestive system, easing defecation.[1]

It acts by changing the nature of the contents of the gastrointestinal tract, and by changing how other nutrients and chemicals are absorbed....

Current recommendations from the United States National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine, suggest that adults should consume 20–35 grams of dietary fiber per day, but the average American's daily intake of dietary fiber is only 12–18 grams.
I couldn't find anyone who recommended eating marbles so I'm not sure why you'd suggest that. But the experts do indeed recommend eating indigestible fiber. Here's part of the reason why and it mentions lowering the risk of diabetes.

The main action of dietary fiber is to change the nature of the contents of the gastrointestinal tract, and to change how other nutrients and chemicals are absorbed.[1][2] Soluble fiber binds to bile acids in the small intestine, making them less likely to enter the body; this in turn lowers cholesterol levels in the blood.[3] Soluble fiber also attenuates the absorption of sugar, reduces sugar response after eating, normalizes blood lipid levels and, once fermented in the colon, produces short-chain fatty acids as byproducts with wide-ranging physiological activities (discussion below). Although insoluble fiber is associated with reduced diabetes risk, the mechanism by which this occurs is unknown.
So it appears that we may not have as many cases of diabetes if people would eat more fiber as the experts recommend. And yes, it's indigestible, and it's good for you if you eat the recommended amount, certainly from whole grains and fruits. Whether the processed varieties of fiber manufacturers are adding are as healthy is another question. I suspect you're better off with more natural sources of fiber like fruits, etc.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

reply to post by nightbringr

And you know that the processed meat you buy is REAL animal meat how?
Makes you think!

Well i know that just because McDonalds calls it "!00% real beef!", doesnt mean it is, but im still pretty sure they are not putting Aunt Sally in my Big Mac. Yet!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

So you believe everything the "experts" tell you? They told us vegetable oils were better for us, only to find out that they are not. Only animal fats are, because they are natural and not processed.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by guessing

While we are at it, let's ban dihydrogen monoxide as well. Yes?

Yes please ban dihydrogen monoxide, it sounds awful. You can leave all the dihyrogen oxide though.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

You may wonder...why not most restaurants....? Because of the sodium they add to their food.

Hey party girl, what do you mean the sodium? NaCl is just table salt, do you mean too much salt?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
As has been noted, cellulose is cellulose regardless if it is food grade material from wood pulp or celery stalks.

To the chemophobes: Everything you eat is a chemical. You also eat very well because of the Haber process that produces ammonia; fixed nitrogen used to fertilize plants. Had this process not been discovered, we would still be fighting wars over the remaining caliche deposits in the Atacama desert.
To the natural food fanatics: Many things in nature are not good for you so being natural should not be a measure of goodness. Some processed foods are good for you. Wine is a processed food and contains sulfites, which are naturally occurring. Ethanol is a chemical that can fuel many things.
As a note to a worried poster, sodium benzoate is not benzene and does not display any of the physiological effects of benzene.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

So you believe everything the "experts" tell you? They told us vegetable oils were better for us, only to find out that they are not. Only animal fats are, because they are natural and not processed.

Untrue. Some processed oils can have great health benefits. Flax seed oil is loaded in omega 3's for example. Dont buy into the whole "natural is better" theme all the time. Many poisons are naturally occuring, and these are not processed. Go eat some nightshade and see how you feel.

Animal fats also contain cholesterol that you will not get from vegetable oils or fats. Its not that one sided.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join