It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Food Companies That Serve You Wood

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

15 Food Companies That Serve You

www.thestreet.com

...Chief among...concerns is the use of cellulose (read: wood pulp), an extender whose use in a roster of food products, from crackers and ice creams to puddings and baked goods, is now being exposed. What you're actually paying for -- and consuming -- may be surprising.

"As commodity prices continue to rally and the cost of imported materials impacts earnings, we expect to see increasing use of surrogate products within food items" [said one expert]
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-7-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well, looks like they are adding WOOD to bulk up food as prices soar!

Ever read about famines or starvation? They would frequently use twigs and treebark to ward off starvation. Not exactly comforting to see the same thing on a mass, industrialized level.

I think its disturbing but maybe not surpising how much food is, well, not food after all...

www.thestreet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The sick thing is that using the "all natural" label gets them off scott free. I know lots of things that are all natural but I would not like to eat the. The website is really confusing. It would be nice if someone made an easy to view list or something. Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

It's been my understanding that since i was a kid (at least) they've been using sawdust as "fiber" in many breakfast cereals etc. Won't hurt ya....and it is fiber....

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Uh - - I've been into health food for something like 30 years.

Wood fibers is not new - - or anything negative. I suppose depending on percentage.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Not surprising at all, is it? We're getting closer to the "Soylent Green" concept.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I do not think eating wood is a problem
I think being lied to and mislead or not been told exactly what we eat is the real issue.

Adding wood to food may actually be a good thing as real food becomes scarce. Advertisers just need to tell us the % of wood in the product.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You get what you pay for. Seems to apply to everything nowadays.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It is cellulose which is in almost every vegetable and fruit we eat.

--Cellulose - a long chain of linked sugar molecules that gives wood its
remarkable strength. It is the main component of
plant cell walls
, and the basic building block for many textiles and for
paper. Cotton is the purest natural form of cellulose.
In the laboratory, ashless filter paper is a source of nearly pure
cellulose.--

Oh noez! The sky is falling and all these companies are evil, I tell you . . . EVIL!

Deny ignorance :shrug:

You gonna make a thread complaining how you were fed tree bark as a kid, and it is still on the breakfast menu of most places?

Edit: (hint: cinnamon)
edit on 7/7/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I just learned about this not long before I went 100% organic, grass fed and organic fed meat and dairy and switched to raw milk and dairy.. I had cheese in my fridge where this was one of the main ingredients. Why would wood be in cheese. I wish they would just leave our food alone.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
I do not think eating wood is a problem
I think being lied to and mislead or not been told exactly what we eat is the real issue.

Adding wood to food may actually be a good thing as real food becomes scarce. Advertisers just need to tell us the % of wood in the product.

Cellulose comes in many forms. It is just most present and most identifiable in wood. It's also the primary thing holding plants together. You eat plants don't you?

We're also talking about processed food here people. I'd be more worried about the other things besides a little bit of natural fiber, cellulose. If you're eating a lot of processed food you should actually be thankful they're adding more cellulose. Otherwise you'd probably not be getting any fiber at all.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I just learned about this not long before I went 100% organic, grass fed and organic fed meat and dairy and switched to raw milk and dairy..

A lot of that organic stuff has cellulose (called wood in this article). Good job!

I had cheese in my fridge where this was one of the main ingredients. Why would wood be in cheese. I wish they would just leave our food alone.

Cellulose powder is included as an anti-caking agent in packaged cheese. Cellulose powder prevents cheese from clumping because of its fibrous quality and non water-absorbency, effectively waterproofing the cheese.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

THIS is new to yo, they have been serving you the WOOD, for some time now. IT is called, a substitute a filler, for MONEY, OK, OMG, Y OU are getting this now.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

whose use in a roster of food products, from crackers and ice creams to puddings

You can't have any pudding til you've killed all yeer trees, how can you have any pudding if ya don't kill yeer trees!

I just hope they don't start using wood from China because I don't want any melamine in me foods.
Too bad hemp is illegal to farm here, that would provide sustainable if not abundant supplies of cellulose.
Interesting find, thanks!

Peace,
spec
edit on 7-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
It is cellulose which is in almost every vegetable and fruit we eat.

Oh noez! The sky is falling and all these companies are evil, I tell you . . . EVIL!

Deny ignorance :shrug:

(hint: cinnamon)
edit on 7/7/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

The sky may be falling where you are< or somewhere else in the world. But you are right the food companies are actually evil.

But we need to eat right.. So what do we do, we whinge, complain and eventually if enough people moan, then something gets done.

At least the planet I come from anyway

link   
reply to post by guessing

Yep. Just keep eating them sawdust sammies, good for you, and tastes great too! If you want to keep eating what they are giving you, feel free. Must be good!

CJ

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by guessing

How exactly are they evil?

By adding cellulose?

Putting tree bark on their menu?

Perhaps adding sodium bicarbonate, as a thread on ATS went on about awhile ago?

While we are at it, let's ban dihydrogen monoxide as well. Yes?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

It it contains it naturally, such as veggies, that's one thing, but I don't want anything added to my food period.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Any square is a rectangle, but any rectangle is not a square. You following me? Wood pulp is(for the most part) cellulose, cellulose is not wood pulp.

Deny Ignorance: use some common sense before thread-bashing.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
gee, my desk just started to look that little bit more appetising

fiber comes from multi sources including grain husk, grape skins, and anything else they can grind, bleach and add to food

lets think of soft drink - except colas, all soft drinks and cordials (except blackcurrant) and even some shelf stabel juices have stuff in them tat will kill you - like "preservative 211" which is sodium benzoate, which is a form of benzene

here in australia the government health dept asked the nice soft drink makers to take the benzene out as it is cancerous - their response : "we will just put less of it in there"

wood - would - be good, lol, better than benzene anyway

think how catchy the truthful advertising could be with some exciting products like
- cheese sticks, fruit sticks, 'new leaf' products, twiggy sticks, walnut log, "select cuts", maple syrup, burger rings, root beer

and then the fast food chains that would emerge....

"lumberjack pies, branches everywhere"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join