It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a true SHTF event..what will you hunt ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
as a "cityfolk" i'll be hoping to learn a lesson or two from someone who actually knows what they're doing.
I'll admit to being sheltered most of my life, buying McDonald's when it's time to eat. you know...
We truly wouldn't know where to start skinning an animal or preparing it to eat or even storage.
Going hungry, I imagine most folks would just eat it right off the animal. Savage like.
I'd go with what I know until there's no where to go I suppose, but I wouldn't give up.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
To be honest,I would hunt down the SOB'S responsible for the SHTF and then think about eating !
Secondline.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
To be honest,I would hunt down the SOB'S responsible for the SHTF and then think about eating !
Secondline.

now that sounds like a plan i'm in.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
There is something like 5 million head of cattle in north queensland.

But I prefer prawns and crayfish

Burp!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by _Highlander_

Let us not forget I also am a predator
Perhaps thats why the cannibles call us ..Long Pork

Seriously tho we should try to emulate the American Indian..
edit on 7-7-2011 by granpabobby because: add to content

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

true, true but i would rather eat my daughters first then my dog no my dog first

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by granpabobby
I have been reading quite a bit in the Survival forum .
People talking about hunting for survival..deer rabbit elk the list goes on and on ..even listing dog and cat

Most people cant hunt due to all the hunting areas being land owners new cash crop..the deer lease .
Most people cant afford the cost...so do not hunt due to this.
Now in a total SHTF all this will be thrown into the wind. When supplys are exhausted people will try to live off the land. There are not enough deer to go around ..too many that cant hunt so....
What will happen is people will hunt LIVESTOCK ..The word Cow seems to be taboo as far as hunting goes but that is what will happen in those days..Lots of ranches will have no owners because they will have died and the cows & pigs that escape will be running wild .
BEEF its whats for dinner !

First off, if the rancher/farmer dies, the animals are in fenced in areas or buildings..pole barns, stables, barns, ect. so the animals will be there after the person dies, don't forget, they usually have kids, grand kids, brothers, cousins, and farm/ranch hands....so go ahead and hunt livestock...what you don't understand in the deep set of family values and self preservation that many of us out in the midwest areas have.
If you do as you say, you WILL be fertilizer for the upcomming crops in the future seasons. Doing what you suggest will greatly reduce your survival...see these people pass there farms on to other younger more able family members to continue the farm/ranch....I would rethink your way to aquire food!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I live right outside of Duluth MN, and we have a ton of Flora, and Fauna around here to munch on year round, it's just a matter of knowing how to obtain it. So I foresee no problems in my future for foraging food in my area. It's all the rest of the backwoods people around here that would be the problem to hunt around.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I do think that people will hunt and waste food for lack of the ablitiy to properly skin and preserve the animal.
There will be tons of wasted food from people out wanting to live off the land and not having a way or knowledge of how to store said food.
livestock will be gathered and protected by those that own them, and if you shoot one of the animals, it would be like someone coming into your home and taking your food...would you allow that? I wouldn't. It also takes time to clean the animal and then you will be a sitting duck...your better off to go to the farmer/rancher and barter for some meat with eather work or some other supplies that you have....if you don't do it that way, with no law and order, whos going to miss you or even know what happened to you during a true SHTF?
Don't forget that people in the country helpeach other...look at Joplin, and all along the Missouri River right now...they band together and help those that need it, and so you'll have dozens of people helping many of the livestock owners to save there animals...they are not stupid, the animal will be processed a few at a time to help the town and neighbors that don't have any, also they will be breeding them to resupply the animals that are used to feed the towns people and friends of the said rancher/farmer.

If you don't think people are this way, I can say think again, I went home a couple of years ago, my dad said we ad some stuff to do on my first day back. We went a few miles out of town and helped a farmer with 9 others to set up feed bunks and a concrete slab for his cattle. We worked out butts off all day, they gave us lunch, and dinner, along with some cold drinks for our labor. It was a long day, we used over 70 yards of concrete...we asked for nothing, the farmer was about in tears when he had seen what we did. He couldn't thank us enough...he was almost 70 years old and wasn't able to do it or afford the labor, so with the help of friends and local from town, labor was free!!
I tell you all this so you can realize that your not going to be dealing with just the livestock owner if you wanna STEAL there livestock.
edit on 7-7-2011 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2011 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Let's face it... I suck as a hunter. I am a greater farmer and gardener...but I suck as a hunter.

I don't have the patience, as such...not a great fisherman either. Actually, my wife is a very good hunter and has a wall of trophys to show it...she was Palin before there was Palin.

Anyway, I plan on trapping... Rabbit boxes...the old timey ones made out of wood with the little string flip/spring that sets the door and traps anything inside once they spring the bait...ie apple peelings, sweet potatoes, etc... You mightget rabbit, you might get squirrel, or oppossum.

Also plan on using trot lines to fish with... basically you take a gallon jug...empty of course and hang a fishing line from it and bait it....string a bunch of them together and leave in the water...later go back and check your lines... and hopefully catch some fish.....a string of say 1 out of 6 should hopefully have caught something.

Plus, you get the added benefit of still being close to the house/ farm/ compound and able to work the land and guard the homestead.... usually set in the morning...check in the afternoon after the chores are done.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

ya don't hunt cows... you harvest them...
Cows are stupid in that they will let you walk right up to them hold a gun to their heads knowing your gonna pull the trigger... just don't do that out in the middle of an open field... trust me, moving 2000 pounds of dead animal isn't easy....

Still you brought up a valid point... most people not only do not know how to hunt... they don't even know where to aim to bring down a deer, elk or other large game animal... (The sweet spot is just behind the front shoulder blade) unless they hear you flick off the safety or rack a round into the chamber... then they will drop on their legs as they prepare to leap away... then you gotta aim a tad lower...

For bouncing bunnies I aim for the ears... watching that white tail will only cause you to miss every time...
Squirrels are easy... as they scamper up a tree try whistling... 50/50 chance they will pause to see what your doing, that's when you take the shot...

Yup your right... most (90%) of ... have no clue how to hunt... so I guess it's up to us old timmers to teach em right...

edit on 7-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

no do not worry about that the red man is gone just like the buff, now if the red man wants to get his revenge then yes the cow will be like the buff. slaughtered for the hide and horns, nothing else, the meat just rotting in the fields under the hot sun. would this bring back the Buff?
Buff Burger for lunch. oh ya!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I will be hunting the ZOMBIES...because I'm a cereal killer...hahahahaa

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

fruits and veggies berries and seeds, with hope its not contaminated somehow.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SNAKE13X
I will be hunting the ZOMBIES...because I'm a cereal killer...hahahahaa
you should go after Cap'n Crunch.

I will have groundhog (woodchuck) on my menu. The Native Americans pulled them out of their burrow using a long green stick that was split at the end. They would push the stick down the burrow until they felt it hit the rodent, then they would twist the split end into his fur and hide nice and tight, then pull him out. The Bushmen in Africa use the same method to catch a similar burrowing rodent. They would also post a second man at the other entrance to the burrow with a club, just in case he decided to come out there, but they usually didn't leave the burrow.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Fish and Birds.
That's what is most easy to get around here (Florida).

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well, since I do know how to hunt, I'm starting with all the damn deer we have around here. My neighbor across the road has a pheasant farm, so they are everywhere as well. Lots of game around here, thankfully.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You'd be amazed how easy it is to get small animals,

I've never had a problem catching wild game, fishing, ect.

I laugh at folks who stock pile food when they should be learning skills to provide.

Start practicing with a slingshot and a spear, practice for wild boar, practice for birds and squirrels.

There is a lot of food out there, but only those of us who become skilled will be worthy of it.

Skills are the only thing that will save humanity, even guns are only temporary.

-GM

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
People.

Haha no not really, I will have to stop being a vegetarian..

Fish!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If it moves and is not human, I'll eat it.

Reality is that if TSHTF, anything left alive after would be fair game for me. That includes bugs and worms.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join