It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a true SHTF event..what will you hunt ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I have been reading quite a bit in the Survival forum .
People talking about hunting for survival..deer rabbit elk the list goes on and on ..even listing dog and cat

Most people cant hunt due to all the hunting areas being land owners new cash crop..the deer lease .
Most people cant afford the cost...so do not hunt due to this.
Now in a total SHTF all this will be thrown into the wind. When supplys are exhausted people will try to live off the land. There are not enough deer to go around ..too many that cant hunt so....
What will happen is people will hunt LIVESTOCK ..The word Cow seems to be taboo as far as hunting goes but that is what will happen in those days..Lots of ranches will have no owners because they will have died and the cows & pigs that escape will be running wild .
BEEF its whats for dinner !

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well im from southern AZ so you know ill be eatin rattlesnake sandwiches for a looooooong time!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Bugs, fish, birds, small mammals, lizards, turtles.

Basically anything I can kill that can't kill me.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

You.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Deer, rabbit and fish, maybe people once the other game runs out.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
i will hunt man, the ultiment pray. muhahahaha. no but really, i would hunt the cows on our ranch.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Cats and dogs first then horses then whatever is walking after that.

Not my first choice of meat but the best supply of meat in my area.

Forgot bugs, lots and lots of bugs.
edit on 7-7-2011 by GisfridMaillor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
hunting deer is one thing skinning a Buffalo is an other then you got a cow, if you do not know how or have a way to then your up sheep creek with out a paddle, cow is one of the biggest beast one can take on. for one a tree will not hold it up like a deer or elk, or a bear, so yes go get that cow or Buf on your own, do you know how and where to start skinning it? how to cut it up? not an easy task then you have you have to salt cure it smoke it so it does not go bad, no power unless you have a gas fridge/ freezer with you. fish rabbit deer big horn sheep will do me just fine, that is when all you city folk do each other in, and you will.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Here we have Dove, Quail, very few Pheasant, Duck, Lizard, Snake, Turtle, Frog, Fish, and our big game is Javelina.

I would start with the Dove, but I would also trap some pigeon while they are abundant, the last thing would be the Javelina as the local peccary group is only 15 strong and they are a family group. I would at least try to identify the young males if I could. Taking out the Alpha would only disrupt the herd.

I do have a turkey that I will use come winter if shtf!

If you have not tasted a pigeon or dove I highly recommend it over rabbit or squirrel. To me squirrel taste identical to rat. I didn't even list the squirrels as I refuse to eat them.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I will hunt deer. I will fish. I will make chow mein from cat (I am still convinced that I have been served it once).

I seriously see myself going after poultry the most because of the ease of cooking and cleaning. I will hunt wild turkeys... they taste really good. Duck, quail, goose, phesant.... all really yummy food! If SHTF happens due to our government, I will also hunt bald eagle - just out of principal!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Still the same taboo.people talking about eating nearly everything.
Inagine..hunting no game..staveing with a cow munching grass 50 feet away...
Water everywhere but narry a drop to drink .
Me im going to learn to make beef jerkey..

edit on 7-7-2011 by granpabobby because: add to content

We will have to learn fron the Indian..and the cow will be the new buffalo
I hope we do not destroy the cow the way our buffalo hunters of the past destroyed the buffalo
edit on 7-7-2011 by granpabobby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Small game and foul. Lots of rabbit, groundhog, squirrel, fox, turkey, bear and deer in North America. I suggest folks learn to fish and trap, both can be a lot quieter than the sound of a gun....you may not wanna share your meal with anyone.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I live way out in the boonies of Texas , in addition to the previously mentioned wild life, there is an unbelievable population explosion of feral hogs. My husband, son-in-law, 15yr old grandson and 9 yr old grandson know how to skin one. In fact, my two grandsons help out at a nearby bow hunting ranch....skinning trophy hogs.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
well i would fish set traps for smaller animals i would catch chickens for eggs and such

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

realllllyy, when the SHTF, i will hunt you for food. Did the donner family enter your head?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

hey, ENTER that into the propaganda agenda.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
hunting deer is one thing skinning a Buffalo is an other then you got a cow, if you do not know how or have a way to then your up sheep creek with out a paddle, cow is one of the biggest beast one can take on. for one a tree will not hold it up like a deer or elk, or a bear, so yes go get that cow or Buf on your own, do you know how and where to start skinning it? how to cut it up? not an easy task then you have you have to salt cure it smoke it so it does not go bad, no power unless you have a gas fridge/ freezer with you. fish rabbit deer big horn sheep will do me just fine, that is when all you city folk do each other in, and you will.

In those days of death and hunger people will simply kill and remove the meat they can eat and leave the rest..Like the buffalo hunters ..human nature at its finest but thats what will happen..
People seem to be thinking about not hunting cow decause they are property and not wild game..in the days of starvation and 80 percent of the population dead ..there will be no property no land owners..Perhaps we are limiting survival by thinking in todays terms instead of tomorows
edit on 7-7-2011 by granpabobby because: add to content

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Well definitely not the squirrels in my tree................went and sat out with my morning coffee and saw several scampering about and the poor things were skinny, skinny, skinny.................so instead of me hunting them, I ran in and grabbed some whole wheat bread, some planter nuts and some sun chips and thew them out for the little guys.

God, so skinny, one wouldn't even make a small sandwich.

I'm going to have to get a bird bath, while watering my flowers and Dawn Redwood, the birds were begging for water today, it's been so hot and dry.

Have a nice big ceramic bowl that will have to do until I get a bird bath - poor little critters.

And yes, I heard the coyotes across the street howling tonight.

My husband says he's seen a few and their pretty ragged and thin...............gonna have to buy some hamburger or a ham for them I guess.

The creek has dried up and the ducks and geese are gone elsewhere.

Hope it rains soon.

Should call my girlfriend, last two times she did a rain dance it worked............both times and rain wasn't predicted.

Thought the picture below might give someone a laugh and fits right in with this thread.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c739d1118dd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
To be honest I think smaller towns would be OK in a SHTF world. For example many of my neighbors own enough animals to feed the entire town for a year, just a single one. Between huge acre large veggie gardens to, 50+ head of cattle. Countless numbers of birds (chicken, turkey, duck). Many have 20 or more goats or pigs or a combination of the two.

My house sits on 2 arces and we own 4 more lots of the same size on the edge of town. In a SHTF scenario that is easy to turn into a private food factory.

Feed is easy to find as many farmers would sell crop to locals instead of shipping it away since in a SHTF world it will be hard to transport anything. Its kind of a no brainer, I mean the guy that can grow the wheat and what not for feed for animals can ask for animal meat in return if the need arises.

Once food runs out at the Kiwiki Mart people will care less about how many government inspections the chicken they are roasting went though.

It tastes far better as well when an animal is not not force fed or injected with antibiotics its entire life.

Hunting I think would be last resort for a lot of people to be honest. I also may be giving the human race as a whole way to much credit for critical thinking skills.

But to answer the question... I would say deer and moose for myself. In my area they are plentiful and really healthy, both have a good amount of meat and a hide that can be used for many things if the world is really that extreme post melt down.

-Lightrule

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

dog and cat

In a SHTF senerio getting a couple 50 lb bags of dog or cat food might sound gross but the dry kibble has a really long shelf life and is actually quite healthy - doesn't taste good though.

Now Iams makes a canned ProActive Healthy Chunks and I always test a tiny bit before giving it to my dog........it's really pretty good, soft, tender, no grisle or fat, I've actually tasted a lot worse at restaurants - I just had a little and it really was good. Shelf life of two years.

What would I hunt?

Well I've been treated nicer by animals in my life vs humans so I'm not sure...........and I'm good with a rifle.

I'm stocked up on a lot of dry beans, rice, canned meats and hopefully no S will HTF.

Just kidding about humans on the menu, but if some mean arse guy broke in our home to hurt us, well this old lady might make a unmentionable stew from the scuz bag that invaded her home and threatened her family, so if the S does HTF don't suppose all old ladies are defenseless.

I'm a pretty good sharp shooter now.
and try as I might, I'm not totally vegan yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join