It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

troll- the new cuss

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
so, got 1000 ats points taken off for saying what a troll is, not even calling someone a troll... just saying what it is... when the op called himself a troll IN the op, and called everyone else gullible, uneducated kids.

ATS has rules of civility right? that opening statement by the op was in no way civil, it was a mocking aggressive statement to bring on a fight, which I, as many others shrugged off and lol'd.

then all of a sudden there were more "post removed" things than i've ever seen. like it got raided by swat or something lol.

anyways, the 1000 point deduction was a pretty harsh for not actually calling someone anything...

im not saying calling someone a troll is the most civil thing. but I honestly just said what a troll is.no, "lol troll" "troll thread" "dont feed the troll" "your a troll" nothing.

i'd like my 1000 points back please...

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
::starts the stopwatch to see how long till this gets closed::

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
::starts the stopwatch to see how long till this gets closed::

yeah, not expecting longevity on this one.....

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
wtf is a troll...im new

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Troll

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
so, got 1000 ats points taken off for saying what a troll is, not even calling someone a troll... just saying what it is... when the op called himself a troll IN the op, and called everyone else gullible, uneducated kids.

ATS has rules of civility right? that opening statement by the op was in no way civil, it was a mocking aggressive statement to bring on a fight, which I, as many others shrugged off and lol'd.

then all of a sudden there were more "post removed" things than i've ever seen. like it got raided by swat or something lol.

anyways, the 1000 point deduction was a pretty harsh for not actually calling someone anything...

im not saying calling someone a troll is the most civil thing. but I honestly just said what a troll is.no, "lol troll" "troll thread" "dont feed the troll" "your a troll" nothing.

hey feel free to click on any button within my avatar, i think there are several there you would like to click on.

edit on 6-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gremlin2011

Wikipedia: TROLL (Internet)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory[citation needed], extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted". While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gremlin2011
wtf is a troll...im new

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

hey feel free to click on any button within my avatar, i think there are several there you would like to click on.

edit on 6-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

haha touche sir, touche.

I like that there isn't name calling or wearing allowed, makes for a good forum, but when you start disciplining your long time users for something a new member brought upon himself, than its not cool..

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gremlin2011
wtf is a troll...im new

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory[citation needed], extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted". While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]

wiki

Will I get points deducted for that?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

You beat me to it!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabytz
reply to post by Forevever

You beat me to it!

LOL no worries - its good info, deserves a double post

I do think the thread he mentioned should be moved to "rant" though

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Good luck getting those points back, I had 1000 taken away because I called someone something that in his definition he was saying he was as well and got docked 1000 points from the mods
Its ok though they are just doing there job so heh it's fine i guess.
edit on 7/6/2011 by XJMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The use of "troll" in THAT thread (written by you or not) is showing an increasing trend for members who lack the ability of critical thinking and intelligent response.

It is often an automatic respose to supplement thinking altogether and should be stomped on.

It is internet weakness. At least some of the so called trolls speak their minds which is more than I can say for some round here who spout conformist believer rubbish.

I personally believe that thread was NOT written to create confrontation but to express an exasperation of all the ignorant belief on the subject.

You deserve the point reduction and should also be post banned as the OP was which was unfair imo but indicative of current ATS "pro" agenda management. EG: "aliens exist because we say so and anything else is trolling".

Oh the ignorance!
edit on 6/7/2011 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
perhaps they could have an area that within there you can use any internatz n4m3z yuz l1k3z, dat wld b kwlz

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
seems like ats is in kinda of a land mine scene atm, id rather stay in bts, its way easier to use and abuse lower iq users like myself.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

didn't know he was post banned, he wasn't really adding any depth to his own discussion though....

saying someone is ignorant for their belief is ignorant.... btw...

ig·no·rant adjective /ˈignərənt/ Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated - he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular - they were ignorant of astronomy Discourteous or rude - this ignorant, pin-brained receptionist Easily angered - I is an ignorant man—even police don't meddle with me

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

didn't know he was post banned, he wasn't really adding any depth to his own discussion though....

No, he was too busy sticking up for himself against the haters wasn't he?

saying someone is ignorant for their belief is ignorant.... btw...

Not if there is Zero proof to back up their belief and there is no room for reality which down here on planet earth counts for quite a lot.

However, I was referring in my post above to the way the OP was post banned and therefore enabling the believers to continue on their merry way without any opposing discussion from the creator of the thread. Inevitable he didn't stand a chance which is why I chimed in but it's the treatment of the member that is ignorant.

This is a conspiracy site after all and what would it be if people actually stopped believing in stuff that has no proof? It is actively promoted.

No surprises really.

I hope the OP starts a new thread and creates a better start to the subject that omits (reduces) the chance of haters and name callers. It's been interesting wouldn't you say and sure puts a few cats among the chickens.

Heck, maybe it's time I started a doozie of a thread. I'll put my thick skin on for it....the reptilian one.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
science is a collaborative enterprise spanning generations- carl sagan.(not exact quote)

what at one time cannot be proven, may become provable once the right tools are invented. instead of dismissing an entire possibility based on not being able to collect evidence at that time, use your frustration to invent the equipment necessary to collect evidence.

that's science friend.

I agree with you that most of the reptillian/zeta/shapeshifting stuff is all just globbity gloop, but its unscientific to denounce the huge probability of extra terrestrial life just because some people live in fantasy land...

I seriously don't mind discussing this, I just prefer to discuss it, not argue it.
edit on 6-7-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

I agree
I hate to discuss another discussion
but I do think he made a blanket statement
it wasn't particularly clear what he was saying
but I digress - he's entitled to disbelieve
I personally believe - but I only "believe" because I don't have proof
when I do have proof - then I won't believe anymore - I'll know

new topics

top topics