It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Disagree, Pedophilia is NOT Funny!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I think you are changing the term PC into an entirely different animal

The meaning of the phrase has actually changed and broadened over the years, and the way I'm using it may be somewhat new to some. Not to turn this into a political issue, but I have noticed that the political right uses the pejorative (PC) to describe the political left's inclination to be "sensitive" and offended about labels minorities and other socially "sensitive" matters.

Why is it that we changed "handicapped" to "disabled"? Because people were offended and it hurt their feelings.

Why is it that we changed "black" to "African American"? Because people were offended and it hurt their feelings.

Why was Don Imus' show canceled? Because he said "nappy" and people were offended.

I contend that the right is just as guilty of PC-ness, but of course, they don't see it as that.

...the term had some descriptive value when talking about a certain strain of leftism that, shall we say, was all about not offending anyone.
Suddenly it's the folks on the right that find offense at everything. They don't like that someone is wearing a certain scarf in an ad (the outrage!). They don't like that a particular company advertisers in Spanish (¡que horror!). They don't like that Obama doesn't wear a dumb American flag on his lapel pin (what a commie) or that Hillary Clinton comes off as a phoney at a NASCAR event (she's a tea-sip, obviously).

All of the sudden the right in this country has become so fragile that everywhere they look, they see something coronary inducing. Everyone else has to walk on eggshells around them, and worry that we're not being, well, politically correct.

Source

I think you are trying to change the word PC to mean "I Do Not Oppose...."

Not at all.
I oppose things. I oppose Fred Phelps (the ultimate example) but I support his right 100% to protest as he sees fit.

I am a victim of repeated child molestation. I oppose it.
I oppose it strongly. But more important than my personal feelings, are the fundamental freedoms of speech and expression that make this country great. So, regardless of my personal feelings, I know that supporting the freedoms of others (even though I disagree with the CONTENT) is more important then calming my own sensitivities.

Like I said, I don't watch the show. It's about choice.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I Disagree, Pedophilia is NOT Funny!

Lets put it this way: pedophilia is not funny. Jokes about pedophilia may be.

I am no fan of there being any boundaries in humor, including racist, pedophilic, misogynistic, holocaust, baby-killing or other offensive offensive jokes and who knows what else. As long as it is just for fun and satire.

edit on 7/7/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
but I have noticed that the political right uses the pejorative (PC) to describe the political left's inclination to be "sensitive" and offended about labels minorities and other socially "sensitive" matters.

Sometimes but maybe the right does that because that's exactly what the left does.
Why does the left do that?

Because just like the right is distracted with religion and islamaphobia the left is distracted with social issues
It is this distraction with social issues that causes the left to do what you describe the right to accuse the left of.

Why is it that we changed "handicapped" to "disabled"? Because people were offended and it hurt their feelings.

I have no problem with that change, in fact I think disabled should be changed to an even more softer term as well.

Why is it that we changed "black" to "African American"? Because people were offended and it hurt their feelings.

It shouldn't hurt their feelings
I'm east indian, you think i'm going to change that to Indian american?

Why was Don Imus' show canceled? Because he said "nappy" and people were offended.

He was fired because he said racist things on a radio show
I think you are trivializing his offense by calling it mere non-PCness

I contend that the right is just as guilty of PC-ness, but of course, they don't see it as that.

Sure, for different reasons though
For example the other day I was talking to a conservative and I said aid to Israel should end yesterday, he called me an anti-semitic.

Suddenly it's the folks on the right that find offense at everything. They don't like that someone is wearing a certain scarf in an ad (the outrage!). They don't like that a particular company advertisers in Spanish (¡que horror!). They don't like that Obama doesn't wear a dumb American flag on his lapel pin (what a commie) or that Hillary Clinton comes off as a phoney at a NASCAR event (she's a tea-sip, obviously).

Maybe a few people in south or bible belt, but I don't think that represents anywhere near to a large majority of conservatives. And as far as the label pin the media ignited that one and some followed.

I oppose things. I oppose Fred Phelps (the ultimate example) but I support his right 100% to protest as he sees fit.

That's different
Fred is an individual and not a group, sure WBC is a group but not a group of people but a group that belongs to the same church, so that has nothing to do with PC.
Also Fred is insane.

I know that supporting the freedoms of others (even though I disagree with the CONTENT) is more important then calming my own sensitivities.

Like I said, I don't watch the show. It's about choice.

The act of pedophilia is illegal and they put it in an animated show
btw i'm not asking for govt. intervention, people should let them know they don't like it

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
The act of pedophilia is illegal and they put it in an animated show

So is the act of murder. So is robbery, extortion, kidnapping, arson and prostitution. These subjects appear in our entertainment realm all the time. If we removed from the airwaves any mention of the above crimes, 80% of our TV shows and movies would cease to exist.

btw i'm not asking for govt. intervention, people should let them know they don't like it

Cool.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I suppose it depends on how you relate to what they're saying.
Living in the poorer area of my city alot of pedo's are usually housed in and around my area, so ive kinda grew up knowing that you "dont go near and dont speak to that person"
Naturally, the majority of people have a dislike for pedo's because of what it entails, but family guy is a COMEDY and they make home truths comical - They arent encouraging it, they're not saying its "Okay" They are saying it exists in society and we only notice after a crime is commited.
Its a way of letting off some steam on the subject. Lets not forget, family guy doesnt leave any rock unturned. They take the piss out of everything. They've been close to the bone with a few things, such as when peter was on a talk show talking about his new film where he plays a window cleaner on the twin towers on 9/11 - still laugh my ass off at that. Its nothing compared to the pedo thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I don't think Family Guy is funny but I hve no problem with them using dark humor.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I dont think they put Herbert in the show as "a guide to being a paedo".

They put him in as an unusual character.....he could have been anything, from a murderer to a tax dodger.

I see it as a joke....how it was intended to be seen.

I could understand if they were pushing paedophilia as a good thing but its clear from the show that its all for comedy purposes.

The logic you are using would shut down many tv shows, films, screen plays etc. Just because something is illegal in real life does not mean it cannot be played out in fictional surroundings...ie a tv show.

Family Guy = Comedy

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Reply to post by ModernAcademia

Nothing is off limits from comedy. Just because you don't have a sense of humor doesn't mean it isn't funny, lol.

I highly doubt that laughing at a family guy gag means one is endorsing raping small children.

Society is not producing more child rapists because of some stupid cartoon....lol.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Freedom of Speech as the absolute you present it, never truly existed.

I don't present Freedom of Speech as an absolute. There are exceptions, of course.

What someone chooses to say is none of my business, but what is aired should be regulated to some extent.

I agree that aired content should be regulated. But not because some people are offended. If we go that route, we'll be having atheists who are offended by the religious channels on TV and want them removed. There will be "sensitive" people who don't want any violence or blood on TV and so those shows will be canceled. There will be white people who are offended by Black Entertainment Television and will have that station removed.

We become a society of people whose "sensitivities" will be determined by the most sensitive and controlling members among us. No, thanks.
If you don't like the show, don't watch it. Write them a letter. Write them every day and object to their content. But don't use the law to calm the sensitivities of the most thin-skinned among us.

No, that's not at all what I was talking about, and I see no reason to think that those things should be regulated. Acts of pedophilia are an universally extreme offense in our society, except for the pedophiles their selves. It's totally different then going off something that offends some people. This is a moral issue, not a mere offense.

I'm not thin skinned, I'm conscientious..

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think Herbert is funny. He always fails miserably at trying to pick up any kids, and his whole image is ridiculous. The audience laughs at him, not with him. I have to agree with whoever said Herbert is more like an old gay man wanting to be with a younger boy (yeah, 16 is legal in some places.)

If Chris were 7 or 8 years old, I would be pretty disturbed. If there were an episode where Herbert actually did manage to have sex with Chris, or tied him down and raped him, yeah, I would be disturbed. This show is satire, it picks on everyone and everything, no matter how serious. Face it: Kids get molested every single day. I grew up in a foster family with dozens of siblings coming and going, I've seen it all. It's awful, heartbreaking stuff. I don't think this show, however, is going to encourage someone to take up pedophilia or make society think less of pedophilia. I do think, however, it throws it in your face like a cold bucket of water and says "Hey! This problem exists! Do something about it!"

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Not everything is funny and light in nature, what is the matter with you people? Getting sicker and sicker by the day?.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Its supposed to be humorous, if you don't like it don't watch it. That's my idea on Hubert.

As for pedophilia, i think some people take it the wrong way. I don't think its right for adults to have sex with "children," but i'm talking young children. I'm 21 years old, still young, but i'm sure i'd be considered a pedophile for getting it on with a 16 year old. Whats so wrong with that? Why are older guys labeled as pedophiles for thinking 15-17 year old girls are hot? They are, there is no question about that...

I think though, that might have a different name, but people who engage with 15-17 year olds in the US are often considered pedophiles, which i really don't get...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join