It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory about why time travel is possible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
For me, time travel is possible. Here is why: when one goes back in time, he doesn't really go back in time, he simply brings the past time to the present. I.e. time travel is recalling a universe's previous state.

Let me explain it in other words: time travel is not like rewinding a video to a point in the past. It is like copying part of a video and pasting it at the current video index.

If we look at time travel in this way, then paradoxes cannot happen: you can "go back", but then the new 'now' is a totally new outcome. You can kill your father before giving birth to you, but you will continue to exist, since the new universe's state would be a new outcome.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
interesting ideas,

i've always thought that if time travel was possible in the traditional sense (rewinding video), wouldn't we have guys jumping all over the cosmos and showing up; wouldn't there be weird anomalies all the time? i mean to grasp the understanding of the basic time travel concept; you have to agree that time is indeed infinite, so there should theoretically be an infinite number of time travelers constantly checking in and out? unless of course the universe is not indeed infinite; in which case there would have to be a pre-conceived 'end', and if that's in the future how would it be possible if it hasn't happened yet?

this subject has fascinated me since i was a toddler; i just can't wrap my head around it in any way which makes it so interesting to me; the next best thing is to present theories and attempt to gain understanding; i think the answer might lie more in dimensional theory and would also provide answers for alien visitors etc, if you were to hypothetically believe in alien visitors just for the sake of entertaining the theory.

i like your analogy of the 'video overlay', i think it could potentially be the tip of the iceberg for all paranormal/ghost contact, as well as so-called 'time slips' etc; the idea that certain energies/forces/entities/whatever do not coincide with our existence; and that certain formulas have to be reached in order to make the transition into our normal world; certain things have to happen in order to cross from one realm to the other. to simplify, ghosts cannot take physical form or really interact with our real world because they are just shadows from the past manifested by certain energies. to elaborate on what i think you're getting at with your video overlay theory, it's like taking an old cassette and recording something over the top of what was already there. there will be artifacts/squeaks/occasional muffled background audio which are noticeable but do not change the original content in any way other than the added minor artifacts.

lets continue this please! i like a little free thought every now and then, especially since we're all mostly bored to tears with casey anthony/obama etc. this topic could get real interesting

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by masterp

Wouldn't that imply creating another world where you weren't born?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyVelveeta

Meaning we never will reach time traveling in these bodies. Nor are we worth time traveling to. Or simply we would never time travel or God wouldn't allow us to.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by masterp

that is a good way to think of it, but i also through if time travelling was possible you would just go to another parallel universe where you take on the memories of the you in that world which is only different by the choices you make. yeah and the paradoxes really wouldn’t affect you since you’re not really killing your father but only killing your father from another parallel universe.

But there are many theories if time travel where paradoxes happen since you’re travelling back to your own parallel universe, but yet again if “God” didn’t want us time travel because we would mess with his religion etc. But i think its possible to travel through time but cant interact with the physical world we travel to. so it will be like a museum look but you cant touch sort of thing, but i do love the idea of time travel makes you think alot

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Gotta give you the flag and star. Topics like this need to be pondered. Your theory is just as plausible as any physicist, IMHO. Except they tend to be huge dbags if they didn't come up with the theory.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
i also have a theroy

we have all seen the documentarys on ancient aliens and how come the ancients had all this tech that we currently have by rights 1 of 4 things has happened
1. the tech was invented by egyptians & myans etc.. and time just allowed us to forget
2.aliens pure and simple

3.coincedence
or 4. we (us from the future) have travelled back in time and given away the tech we have now
i mean if you think about it and im sure we have all thought about it if i could go back in time (example coming) to the 80's with a ps3 or xbox 360 altering the timline of tech what would we have when i get back home
this could explain the huge jumps in lets say cell phone tech i mean it was only a mere 15 years ago that we were blessed with the nokia range of gray scale phones then BOOM colour and camera

what do you all think i mean this does raise a big human paradox i know but could this be possible

new topics

top topics

join