It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyers to boycott UK torture inquiry as rights groups label it a sham

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Lawyers to boycott UK torture inquiry as rights groups label it a sham

www.guardian.co.uk

The government's plans for an inquiry into the UK's role in torture and rendition after 9/11 is in disarray after human rights groups queued up to denounce it as a sham and lawyers for the victims said they were boycotting the hearings.

Their anger was prompted by the publication of the detailed terms of references and protocols under which the inquiry will be run by Sir Peter Gibson, a retired judge. It showed that key hearings will be held in secret and the cabinet secretary will have the ultimate say over what the public will and will not learn.

Individuals subjected to rendition an
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So yet again, the British government follows suit with its' American friends in covering up, denying and generally carrying on with Torture.

This is a despicable development. Our government here in the UK is NOT democratic, it is NOT civil, and it is NOT just. I can't wait for the Autumn when the uprising properly begins - we need to stop this behaviour, this torture, once and for all!!!

Announcing the inquiry 12 months ago, David Cameron said that he and Nick Clegg were "determined to get to the bottom of what happened" because the reputation of MI5 and MI6 had been overshadowed and the UK's reputation as a country that respects human rights and the rule of law was at risk of being tarnished.

LIARS!

The Revenant.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-7-2011 by The Revenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ok, so holding meetings and such in public where current moles and spies could be put at risk by exposing them and also exposing the names and activities of possibly retired spies who engaged in this is ok?

I'm sure their families won't find it reasonable to hold everything under public scrutiny, especially if it lead to criminals targeting them as retaliation.

Plus it screws up the potential for future arrests if leads still currently used are laid out openly.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Briton has a long tradition and history involving torture, beheadings, witch burning, and just general mayhem.

You act as if this is something new they are doing following in America's footsteps but they've written the book on alot of these practices.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Ok, so holding meetings and such in public where current moles and spies could be put at risk by exposing them and also exposing the names and activities of possibly retired spies who engaged in this is ok?

I'm sure their families won't find it reasonable to hold everything under public scrutiny, especially if it lead to criminals targeting them as retaliation.

Plus it screws up the potential for future arrests if leads still currently used are laid out openly.

Secrets beget secrets.

We shouldn't have moles, agents, spies or any other such like in the first place anyway. Only a corrupt security-based state would need them. If that's what we are, we deserve to be attacked until we stop our imperialistic behaviour anyway.

You use the word 'criminals'... this isn't about criminals. This is about people falsely labelled as 'terrorists' by the government. It is the GOVERNMENT who are the terrorists, not the people they rendered illegally.

1 Point scored on the subjective misdirection scale.

The Revenant.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Briton has a long tradition and history involving torture, beheadings, witch burning, and just general mayhem.

You act as if this is something new they are doing following in America's footsteps but they've written the book on alot of these practices.

Agreed. I didn't mean to suggest in any way that Britain was led by America in doing this. It's just that we took a break, let the U.S. remind us how, and then we got back to it.

The Rev.
edit on 6-7-2011 by The Revenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
what about the human rights of all the people who died in the WTW and LONDON??

think of all the lives saves by a lil waterboarding, bollox to the terrorist scum

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

That made me laugh....thanks

Yea I agree it's time to move out of the dark ages and put this behind us.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by gremlin2011

think of all the lives saves by a lil waterboarding, bollox to the terrorist scum

Ok. Theoretical scenario.

I'm a government agent. I decide that I have enough potential evidence to suggest you are a nutter hell bent on attacking British interests.

So me and my cronies decide to grab you, ship you off to another country, torture you for information you don't have, and then because you cant cooperate, sling you in a hole for years whilst you get butt-raped by the guards and other inmates.

Yes, of course - this has saved LOTS of lives, it has prevented a major terrorist attack. OF COURSE IT HAS.

Seriously? For real?

1 point scored on the SP account scale.

The Revenant.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gremlin2011

Will proof that 7/7 was done by government shut you up?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
There are very strong reasons why torture is banned in the Geneva Convention and in the Universal Deceleration of Human Rights. It inflicts needless pain and suffering, produces poor information that continues the fog of war and does not work. With today's technology and international collaboration there are much better sources and methods of information gathering.

All these secrets only protect the people who command and perform the torture and there is where the problem is. Without public accountability there is very little in trying to address and resolve this dark, dumb path that has been taken.

new topics

top topics

join