It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The vulgarity of words is an opinion!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Why is it on this site that "bad" language is not allowed. It should be considered that words that are considered bad by an individual is purely based on that individuals thought of why the word is considered bad. Many words that are considered "curse" words actually have a proper meaning. I will not be discussing which words and what there meanings are as this thread would probably be 404d. However, I would like you all to voice your opinion.

Oh, and according to some users definition of a troll (one who pushes their opinion onto others) the founders of this site are trolls due to their opinion of bad language being pushed onto all users of this site. That or a major shareholder/investor in the company has forced this opinion onto the site as a requirement for investing. IDK which but as the recently released stills thread states, the three amigo hold a substantial majority in the company/site The Above Networks LLC.
edit on 6-7-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

My opinion (although I do curse IRL, and often) is that there is better terminology available. Assuming of course that you want to come across as someone who's intelligent. Therefore, I have no problem with the rules that are in place. Presentation is everything.

I do appreciate your opinion in the matter though. I do think some instances call for a strong word, but its still unnecessary.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Build your own website and then you can cuss all you want!! If your here you gotta follow the rules mate.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My concern is more along the lines of using a "curse" word appropriately (along the lines of its correct meaning) to emphasize differences in mood intensity or function ofthe word. Like the difference between making love, sex, and f******. They are technically all different. There are plenty of other examples. I personally agree with moderators if the word is purposefully use as vulgarity or the word is used in another manner that does not match its definition.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrodude
Build your own website and then you can cuss all you want!! If your here you gotta follow the rules mate.

You say this as if you think I do not follow the rules. I've never had a post deleted. So I guess I have followed them so far.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Aren't most of the threads on this site either conspiracies or the debate about "rules" that hinder our freedoms. Yet this site and many users apparently seem to want people to just accept this "rule" and go on about there business.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I do understand what your getting at, such as some countrys have very common phrases that would probably offend people in other countries. Like when I was in London I heard numerous people calling each other a word that rhymes with punt, here in the US that would be fairly baffeling and a female here would likely rake your eyes out. It is up to the mods and how they interpret it, as you said an opinion and not much you can do about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

LOL you're not lying - the word doesn't bother me, I even use it - but most of my female friends have a conniption - I just remind them the only reason its so shocking is because they don't use it - double standard too cause they have no problem calling each other the B word

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You just got here. Maybe you don't realize it yet, but the site is not obligated to conform to your ideas of what is proper and improper conduct. The thousands of people who have been here for literally years do not need a lecture from you on how to use language or the subtlties of meaning. ATS decided it wants to be a "familiy" site for everyone and not drive away members just because a few believe cursing is their "right." It is their right to do so and the issue is not up for debate.

Think of it this way. If I have a business and you enter my premisis, if you loudly criticize my offerings and spit on the floor, I have a right to tell you to leave. On the other hand, you have the right to patronize the seedy old tavern down the street where you and your fellow travelers can delight yourselves in dreaming up new and creative ways to be foul-mouthed. Whatever floats your boat. I won't be patronizing that site and I certainly won;t send my kids anywhere near it, but if that's your idea of civilized behavior, so be it.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You just got here. Maybe you don't realize it yet, but the site is not obligated to conform to your ideas of what is proper and improper conduct. The thousands of people who have been here for literally years do not need a lecture from you on how to use language or the subtlties of meaning. ATS decided it wants to be a "familiy" site for everyone and not drive away members just because a few believe cursing is their "right." It is their right to do so and the issue is not up for debate.

Think of it this way. If I have a business and you enter my premisis, if you loudly criticize my offerings and spit on the floor, I have a right to tell you to leave. On the other hand, you have the right to patronize the seedy old tavern down the street where you and your fellow travelers can delight yourselves in dreaming up new and creative ways to be foul-mouthed. Whatever floats your boat. I won't be patronizing that site and I certainly won;t send my kids anywhere near it, but if that's your idea of civilized behavior, so be it.

You should go back and review what's been said (all of it) before attacking someone. If you had read the entire thread you would realize I don't agree with "cussing" either. Like I said. Some words have real definitions, they are just considered cuss words because of the majority of the populations misuse of them. I would think a veteran atser would already know how to read entire threads, but I guess not.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm

You should go back and review what's been said (all of it) before attacking someone. If you had read the entire thread you would realize I don't agree with "cussing" either. Like I said. Some words have real definitions, they are just considered cuss words because of the majority of the populations misuse of them. I would think a veteran atser would already know how to read entire threads, but I guess not.

i DID read the whole thread, and I did not "attack" you. That you choose to believe that is part of the problem. Let me be more clear. This site is not about you. You don't get to set the rules. You just got here and already your whining about the rules. Get over it. They are not up for debate. You have not established yourself as an expert grammarian or linguist. The fact that words CAN mean something else is quite beside the point.

There is no difference between "real" definitions and "misuse" of words. We are well beyond language proscription, which went out with Webster's Second. Webster's third (and fourth) is a DE-scriptive dictionary. Words mean what people say they mean and language changes over time. What once was frowned upon is now acceptable and what was once acceptable is now frowned upon. That's the way it works; I'm sure you can think of dozens of examples either way. Trying to get literal on us is a meaningless exercise. You know as well as I do what words are acceptable and which ones are not. Trying to place a pseudo-academic spin on the issue misses the point. It's simple: Just don't use them.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

The OP clearly states you were just opening it for discussion, you didn't even use a question mark. I didn't see any whining so I have to agree, it was an attack.

I will not be discussing which words and what there meanings are as this thread would probably be 404d. However, I would like you all to voice your opinion

ok maybe not so clear, but I understood it.
edit on 6-7-2011 by Forevever because: ♥

top topics

join