It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Word to the Wise!! I shot myself! Negligent discharges happen! (video)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
#1 tex grebner is a tool (although I hope he recovers quickly, because I enjoy making fun of his videos) #2 There is nothing wrong with serpas, I own one as most of my friends do, its about as idiot proof as you could make it, when you make a draw stroke your finger is straight and off of the trigger, as it should be until you intend to fire. Your finger cannot "accidentally" curl into the trigger guard and pull the trigger unless you don't have proper control of your fingers, in which case you probably have no business with a firearm. Everything he did in the video was wrong. He failed to create any space as well ...imo he bought a serpa, never practiced his draw stroke with an unloaded pistol, watched some youtube videos and tried to replicate what he saw with disastrous results. Please don't take anything this guy does seriously or look at him as an example, most of us in the firearms community send his videos to eachother as jokes, I honestly thought they were satires when he first came out. Once again, in general youtube is good for many things, firearms training is not one of them, if you don't have the benefit of decent military or leo training, do yourself a favor and spend the money for classes from a reputable trainer...there really is no substitute for the individualized attention you get and your trainer can diagnose problems before they become serious issues and you through and through yourself in the leg.

Smooth is slow, slow is fast

Don't get complacent.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
The above accident also would not have occurred had he not had a live round in the chamber. Unless you're an on-duty police officer, there is absolutely no reason to have a live round in the chamber. Especially on a Glock.

I beg to differ, none of my weapons that are "in service" are in anything other than a "ready to fire" state. A round in the chamber ready to fire is the only way a weapon can save your life... Racking the slide upon confrontation will get you dead, or in the movies and TV. As a matter of fact, I've never seen an unloaded weapon for that matter. I've held one, but never seen one.

Any weapon safety design can be overcome by the operators carelessness or outright stupidity

And this is the key phrase. The above could've happened with most any gun if you're careless and don't take the extra time to double-check, triple-check to make sure that gun is cleared and safe before you do anything with it.

Unlikely to happen with an XD family pistol... The loaded chamber indicator is difficult to ignore by sight, or touch. On the newer model XD's, the need to pull the trigger for take down has been eliminated.

There's no reason to hate on Glocks because of that video. That DEA officer asked if the gun was safe and assumed it was safe, but never checked it himself. That could've happened with most any other gun.

I have never asked that question, and I find it incomprehensible that this "DEA officer" did so. Proof positive that some training is better than others, and that not all people can be trained... Odd that you would think that a ready to fire weapon in it's proper state is dangerous, but asking about a weapons state and taking the answer for granted is somehow acceptable?

I've owned Glocks; they were an innovative and ground breaking design, they just have been relegated to a less than safe design status by advances by other manufacturers including Springfield Armory. No shame in that, I expect SA to fall by the wayside at some point as well when the next advance in design occurs.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
My understanding, bear with me here. Is that the DEA agent cleared his weapon, with the magazine still in. So after he cleared and closed the chamber another round loaded, as he dropped the magazine. He did not drop the magazine and clear the chamber mulitiple times as mentioned above. That is how I understand it. Yes he did sue the DEA for poor training and he did win. This happened in Orlando Florida - I live in Florida, the class I took last Saturday was taught by a long time Fire Arms instructor in another Florida agency and he was quite livid about this whole incident.

I have to look at it this way, training mishap or not - a new policy was probably put into place to insure this never happens again and if it saves one life its worth it.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Odd that you would think that a ready to fire weapon in it's proper state is dangerous, but asking about a weapons state and taking the answer for granted is somehow acceptable?

I'm confused. How did you get "and taking the answer for granted is somehow acceptable?" from my post? Nowhere in my post did I even hint that it was acceptable. I'm tired, but not that tired.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join