It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House offering to keep 10,000 U.S. troops in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
www.cleveland.com...

BAGHDAD -- The White House is offering to keep up to 10,000 troops in Iraq next year, U.S. officials say, despite opposition from many Iraqis and key Democratic Party allies who demand that President Barack Obama bring home the American military as promised.

Any extension of the military's presence, however, depends on a formal request from Baghdad -- which must weigh questions about the readiness of Iraqi security forces against fears of renewed militant attacks and unrest if U.S. soldiers stay beyond the December pullout deadline.

Already, though, the White House has worked out options to keep between 8,500 and 10,000 active-duty troops to continue training Iraqi security forces during 2012, according to senior Obama administration and U.S. military officials in interviews with The Associated Press. The figures also were noted by foreign diplomats in Baghdad briefed on the issue.

Mission accomplished a few years ago. We're pulling out the troops....last year. Well, actually we just pulled the combat troops....and left 46,000 there still. Oh, and these "non combat" troops are still getting killed over there.

But its okay, lets just stay there for a little bit longer. (not really!)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hmmmm, would that be the same 10K troops he's pulling out of Afghanistan?

Also. . . .

When they replaced "combat" troops with "security" troops (no difference, just changed the mission) someone had put a sign on the back of a tank that read, "We may be security/consultants now, but we can still kill you."

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Ya? they will keep more then 10,000 troops in iraq.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Must be really easy to offer certain amount of troop numbers when the ones offering don't have to be there.

2nd Line

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
LOL

''I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am President, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank.''

You can take that to the bank !

edit on 6-7-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is all complete and utter BS! Who will man the 50 bases we have been building over there? Maybe they will have contractors? Bottom line is we will never pull out of there and this is all just rhetoric to appease an ignorant populace and all the obamabuts will be whining about see I told ya so obama is god....Blah blah...

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
These "security forces" are just there in a "support role" and are currently only performing a "kinetic action". For "national defense", of course.

This is probably the most ridiculous President in history. William Henry Harrison was more effective.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

the only hope would be that the Iraqi ask us to leave.

and then they might have a quarrel amongst themselves.

the present Iraqi government seems as dysfunctional as DC, maybe they learned too much from their conquerors.

divide and conquer, who will get the oil fields, the Kurds, the Arabs, the turkmen.

the problem is big enough to keep the US there to the end of time.

woo to the American taxpayer, he has inherited another white elephant.

top topics

join